How did you see the game as a kid

Status
Not open for further replies.
Perched on a barrier in the Gwladdy End.

My arl feller used to hold on to me but on the odd occasion he'd let go if we scored, my uncle Terry would catch me if I started slipping off.

I also remember getting numb legs from the round pipes resulting in bad pins and needles when I managed to get down at the end of each half.

Most of all, I remember being in awe of Alan Ball with his red hair, white boots and magic feet making the game look easy.

Sat on a barrier in the Gwladys Street end. Always sat on a junction where two joined, as you could wrap your legs around better and be more secure.

went in the 70's with my dad and uncles , used to sit in the Lower Bullens and was there when we beat the RS in 77 , used to love the Gwladys Street , it used to go mad like no other ground . If you watch the MOTD footage of the King derby watch the Street End go mad ha ha !
Was there with 50k+ attendances , late 70's/early 80's then went when we were getting 14k+ v Wolves and Notts Co 83/84 .
Then Kendall turned it round and the rest is history.

In the boys pen with Bill.

Seriously though as an American it was so hard to follow when I was a kid. Be lucky to get the scores and table in the New York Times.

Wasn't until the internet that we could properly follow. I envy kids today that can watch every game from the other side of the world.

The random stranger picking up someone else's kid in pure, pure joy and celeration and no one being arsed is something that will never be repeated..
My eldest sons first ever loss watched live was the RS.. At home.
I was marching out fuming, he was in tears, never seen us lose FFS.
A lad came up to him, patted him on the head.. " We will do them at their place kid "
And immediately all was well in the world.

Needless to say, we didn't, but we are different class.

went in the 70's with my dad and uncles , used to sit in the Lower Bullens and was there when we beat the RS in 77 , used to love the Gwladys Street , it used to go mad like no other ground . If you watch the MOTD footage of the King derby watch the Street End go mad ha ha !
Was there with 50k+ attendances , late 70's/early 80's then went when we were getting 14k+ v Wolves and Notts Co 83/84 .
I used to just sit and watch the crowd sometimes as a kid. The whole experience was ace in hindsight.
The away fans made it better too.. in the now Park End.
Chelsea singing that bloody ' went to mow ' song all game, West Ham charging around.

Held aloft in the Main Stand as a youngster by my dad every time we scored in the mid eighties, which was a lot back then.
The Main Stand seemed scarliy steep then.
Me grandad used to take me and sit in the main stand as he was dead posh from Kirkby.
I had an aunt Josie from 'Sleepers Hill ' way, who when talking about a friend of hers, she always tried to' speak Posh' . She said her
friends daughter was educated at 'Barth collidge-arart'. But her claim to fame was about her nephew Joey from Chester, saying that
Joey had just returned from a weeks holiday in the east of England on the Brorfolk Nords. Sorry for being in the wrong thread again,
but I know that I'd have forgotten by the next time I remembered, and here's me laughing at my Auntie Josie!

I was also at that game. Wonderful occasion. I believe it was late 1978.
I think my first match was when we beat Villa in the Cup 4-1 in January of the same year. We were ace that day.

As a kid going the game I didn't understand tactics, I understood positions and formation but not an in depth detail per say.
I was a kid in the nineties so I tended to drift in and out of games and suddenly perk up when the crowd roared for a decision. I missed fouls and bad tackles, I'd be watching players scuffling whilst not knowing what was going on. I do remember goals and cheering for them but not much else in between. It's funny how you see the game as a kid compared to an adult. It kind of makes me wonder if all these other kids in the ground have an idea what is going on most of the time due to their limited knowledge.

Tied to, using Everton scarf, the bar on the front of upper the terrace in lower Gwlady. Could keep me arms and free to eat me bag of toffees - if there were any left after Tony Snell and his gang had got in first.

I went Goodison first when I was about 4. Everton scored in the first five minutes and I absolutely shat myself when the crowd celebrated it. Dad did his best to console me but had to take me home at half time as I was shaking.

I've hated Everton ever since.

Status
Not open for further replies.