Homepage Article Horrorshow

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not a shocking result at all. We knew our backup players were not good enough, they proved this by drawing twice to rotated championship opposition in the league Cup. With richarlison in there as well though it makes the current team bottom half Premier league standard. With doucoure and dcl and mina back we are top 6 contenders.

There's no point making too big a deal out of one game other than learning from it and understanding why it went wrong. It was a massive collapse at the end and defensive positioning was more of a problem than giving up. If Godfrey wants to be a centre back at everton he simply needs to learn more discipline positionally.

The biggest problem to learn from all this is squad depth MUST be improved. West ham have 2 good players in each position. That's where we need to be first and foremost. Injuries have been savage this season and that has been the reason for this poor run but contingency plans need to be in place for this and for whatever reasons they haven't been this season.

But it is a season of transition, we are a point off fifth and need to somehow get to January within touching distance. I can't see it personally without doucoure, however we may need to revert to a much more defensive minded approach and look to steal games for a while like we did this time last season.
Talking sense doesn't sit well with a lot on here mate.
That said Benitez , in my opinion , managed this game wrongly , for the first time this season.

Not a shocking result at all. We knew our backup players were not good enough, they proved this by drawing twice to rotated championship opposition in the league Cup. With richarlison in there as well though it makes the current team bottom half Premier league standard. With doucoure and dcl and mina back we are top 6 contenders.

There's no point making too big a deal out of one game other than learning from it and understanding why it went wrong. It was a massive collapse at the end and defensive positioning was more of a problem than giving up. If Godfrey wants to be a centre back at everton he simply needs to learn more discipline positionally.

The biggest problem to learn from all this is squad depth MUST be improved. West ham have 2 good players in each position. That's where we need to be first and foremost. Injuries have been savage this season and that has been the reason for this poor run but contingency plans need to be in place for this and for whatever reasons they haven't been this season.

But it is a season of transition, we are a point off fifth and need to somehow get to January within touching distance. I can't see it personally without doucoure, however we may need to revert to a much more defensive minded approach and look to steal games for a while like we did this time last season.

I think losing 5-2 to new a newly promoted team is a shocking result mate, even with players missing. When you factor in throwing a lead away, the collapse in the last 15 minutes and the way we conceded goals, it becomes doubly so.

I dont care if they are back ups, or 1st teamers, we shouldn't be dribbling out of our own box.

Id sadly agree. We've got a collapse like that in us.
I chuckle to myself sometimes when i listen to pundits now and then say Everton have a good defence and a good squad.
I just sit there thinking you dont watch Everton much do you.

Top 6 contenders my arse! That’s pure fantasy and there is no evidence to back it up.

I know a lot of people didn’t want Rafael, but I think it’s short sighted to lay the majority of the blame at his feet. Since Moyes left this kind of situation has been a common occurrence. Other posters above have mentioned instances where the players showed a similar lack of desire. The common denominators are Brands and some of the junk he has bought. They lack the mental attributes that good Everton sides had.

I hate to say it, but Moyes would never have signed even half of the current squad. They have very little heart and desire. The likes of Michael Keane and Andre Gomes have very fragile mentalities.

I miss this team. Strangely it was assembled during the time when our finances were at their weakest and when every penny had to count.

View attachment 143947
The only thing that team missed was prime Coleman

I say to stick with Godfrey, he had a poor game but dropping him doesnt fix that. Holgate was poor last season, he looked a very promising CB but at the moment I would say he is behind Mina and Godfrey.

We can all have our rose tinted glasses on for Moyes but he did all he can here. He made Goodison a fortress and had us competing as a club just outside the so-called top 4. It would have been interesting to see how he would have rebuilt that Everton team after Jagielka, Baines, Distin, Pienaar all left. I agree that Moyes knew how to sign an Everton player and believe he wouldn't have put us in the mess that we find ourselves in but as a club progressing up the table and winning trophies, I don't think he would have achieved that. One thing we can all agree on is how much we have regressed in the last ten years.

Thought we were poor the whole game mind, and extremely poor for the last 15 minutes. Against relegation candidates.
Fair few games now, no hindsight required.
Were always going to struggle against teams who have that "football identity".

Myself don't accept that the squad cant compete, maybe not with Man City etc. But against the yo yo Watford, that result should not be happening. One redeeming feature of manager is supposedly being able to shut up shop park the bus, blah blah blah...

I know a lot of people didn’t want Rafael, but I think it’s short sighted to lay the majority of the blame at his feet. Since Moyes left this kind of situation has been a common occurrence. Other posters above have mentioned instances where the players showed a similar lack of desire. The common denominators are Brands and some of the junk he has bought. They lack the mental attributes that good Everton sides had.

I hate to say it, but Moyes would never have signed even half of the current squad. They have very little heart and desire. The likes of Michael Keane and Andre Gomes have very fragile mentalities.

I miss this team. Strangely it was assembled during the time when our finances were at their weakest and when every penny had to count.

View attachment 143947

500m+ later and we're not even a patch on that team. Man that's depressing....

Off the top of my head that team was put together for less than 50 mil:

Yakubu ~10 mil
Cahill ~ 2 mil
Pienaar ~ 3 mil
Fellaini ~ 15 mil
Osman - Academy
Arteta ~ 6 mil
Baines ~ 3 mil
Lescott ~ 5 mil
Jagielka ~ 5 mil
Neville - Free / Nominal
Howard Free / Nominal

Bleach please

Yakubu ~10 mil
Cahill ~ 2 mil
Pienaar ~ 3 mil
Fellaini ~ 15 mil
Osman - Academy
Arteta ~ 6 mil
Baines ~ 3 mil
Lescott ~ 5 mil
Jagielka ~ 5 mil
Neville - Free / Nominal
Howard Free / Nominal

Bleach please
I'll have a pint of some of that, mate.

Lemon flavoured, please.

Yakubu ~10 mil
Cahill ~ 2 mil
Pienaar ~ 3 mil
Fellaini ~ 15 mil
Osman - Academy
Arteta ~ 6 mil
Baines ~ 3 mil
Lescott ~ 5 mil
Jagielka ~ 5 mil
Neville - Free / Nominal
Howard Free / Nominal

Bleach please

I'm pretty sure Howard and Neville were around 3M each.

Status
Not open for further replies.