Hibbert

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess I was sort of pleased with Tony yesterday. I mean, I didn't really know what to expect from him, but based on the negative tone of many posters I got on train pessimism and having expected an absolutely atrocious player I was surprised to see that he wasn't really that bad. Obviously he didn't come out all guns blazing, but without playing too many games he had an acceptable game, which is more than what I thought he could do. :)

Wow, excusing criticism now by raking up the cup final where he was injured but Moyes fancied some sort of fit Jacobsen even less. Mind blowing.

[cant find scanners head explosion gif anywhere!]

And what they conveniently forget to mention is that Tony was booked early doors that day, therefore he wasn't able to put it about thereafter and Malouda, I think it was or Kalou, was able to take advantage of this.

Who is Liverpools best player? Sterling. Agreed? What did he do yesterday? Sod all. Agreed? Hibbert backed off when needed and McCarthy doubled up to help him which was a tactic deployed by Martinez I should imagine to nullify that side. Yeah sure Sterling and Moreno made a few good runs but ffs he done a job on them. Wasn't great but done a job and then as he tired after 73 minutes Martinez changed it. He did what he needs to do and dome it well enough that Sterling basically done sod all game and he is there main attacking threat. Bit of credit I think is needed.

I personally got worried every time Sterling was near Hibbert.

Our Tony backs off until hes falling into our own net!

Sterling's end product was not because Tony Hibbert did a job on him, it was because he had a poor game. He was allowed far too much space and skinned Hibbert on numerous occasions.

That said, I expected a far worse outcome from him playing, so pleasantly surprised it didnt cost us, although Balotelli's crossbar effort was because of one of the occasions that Hibbert got skinned.

I personally got worried every time Sterling was near Hibbert.

Our Tony backs off until hes falling into our own net!

Sterling's end product was not because Tony Hibbert did a job on him, it was because he had a poor game. He was allowed far too much space and skinned Hibbert on numerous occasions.

That said, I expected a far worse outcome from him playing, so pleasantly surprised it didnt cost us, although Balotelli's crossbar effort was because of one of the occasions that Hibbert got skinned.

He backed off mate to get himself some time for cover which McCarthy gave and in turn I really thought Sterling was [Poor language removed] apart from 2 moments I can remember.

Even thou none of us like him Sterling is a real good player, and about 14 years younger than Hibbert. That was a very hard job Roberto asked him to do yesterday, and he did it as well as we could of expected. A lot of people will have decided he played badly yesterday before the game had even started.

He backed off mate to get himself some time for cover which McCarthy gave and in turn I really thought Sterling was [Poor language removed] apart from 2 moments I can remember.

Yes, maybe these lids think Tony should have committed himself early and took the risk of being skinned by one of the most potent young threats in the EPL and who knows what damage Sterling might have wrought.

o_O

But I feel we are talking to closed minds, Mac :)

It shows how crap he is when a game where he doesn't obviously F up in is considered a good performance. He did alright handling Sterling who everyone expected to destroy him but remember, Sterling had just played 120 mins mid-week and was likely shattered. People are also forgetting he was absolutely ripped apart against Swansea.

I wouldn't start him on Thursday, Browning showed us he's got the quality to be thrown in the deep end and is able to keep his head. Give the lad a go I say.

I was worried when I saw he was starting, but he did OK. I know he has a two year contract but, if he's still struggling for fitness at the end of the season I can see him hanging up his boots. Browning looked good when he came on and hopefully gives us another option.

Disagree with you on the money side though. If someone sticks a contract under your nose and asks you to sign then the vast majority of people on here would do exactly that. Yes, he'll be a millionaire, but I doubt he signed for the money. Maybe he just loves the club and wants to carry on as long as possible ? It's not just up to the player to call it a day. If your manager doesn't offer you a contract then you soon get the message.

Wow...a common sense post amongst the "he should know better and hang it up" posts.

Give me a break lads. I love all the moral outrage and hand wringing on here but let's face facts. You're gonna play until you think you can't play anymore or you're no longer wanted.

But the vast majority of footballers want to play as long as they can. And I guarantee you EVERYONE on here would be no different than Tony Hibbert if a two year contract was stuck under their nose so that they could continue their career at a club they absolutely love.

Carry on.

Hibbert did fine considering his age, lack of football and the quality he possesses as a footballer.

Would I want him starting again or having a run at RB? Nope! Of course not. But his experience helped him and the team in that derby to do a job and it proved the correct decision.

Credit where credits due.

P.S It still makes me laugh how people go on about the Chelsea cup final like Hibbert lost us a game we should of won. You people do realise Chelsea were a top top side back then....Better than us...Full of world class players....It would of been a major SHOCK had we won!! Haha...

Please go to Specsavers- Hibbo spends more time running backwards and plays like a statue with the winger running at him - well finished imo too old and too slow!
No my eyes are perfectly fine thank you. Sterling did him once for pace, that's all. Sure he might not get as tight as he used to, but he knows he can't get so tight anymore because then he will be beaten for pace.

He did everything required of him, so you should give credit where it is due. I'm not one to get on the back of my own players that I support. You might, I won't.

No my eyes are perfectly fine thank you. Sterling did him once for pace, that's all. Sure he might not get as tight as he used to, but he knows he can't get so tight anymore because then he will be beaten for pace.

He did everything required of him, so you should give credit where it is due. I'm not one to get on the back of my own players that I support. You might, I won't.
Sterling ran through him many times it unbalanced the team with MaCarthy and stones having to cover for him - it was only when Browning came on we had some one to cross the ball over from the right - just watch Sterling's first run at Browning with his speed he pushes him inside into danger and we got the ball easily off them - Look at the league cup game v Swansea every goal was on his wing -
I repeat Hibbo has been a very good player for the blues, but he should have either moved on or retired after his Testimonial game TWO years ago- It was a mistake imo to give him another TWO year extension on his contract maybe offer him a coaching role etc
I have seen right backs since the great Alex Parker onwards, sorry I disagree with you and a few others if he plays again he will be a liability for the team versus a team with any gumption like Swansea did to expose his lack of pace he has now!!

Sterling ran through him many times it unbalanced the team with MaCarthy and stones having to cover for him - it was only when Browning came on we had some one to cross the ball over from the right - just watch Sterling's first run at Browning with his speed he pushes him inside into danger and we got the ball easily off them - Look at the league cup game v Swansea every goal was on his wing -
I repeat Hibbo has been a very good player for the blues, but he should have either moved on or retired after his Testimonial game TWO years ago- It was a mistake imo to give him another TWO year extension on his contract maybe offer him a coaching role etc
I have seen right backs since the great Alex Parker onwards, sorry I disagree with you and a few others if he plays again he will be a liability for the team versus a team with any gumption like Swansea did to expose his lack of pace he has now!!
You're mistaken when you call him a liability, because he just proved he is still a dependable player, with limitations. I watched the Swansea game, I agree with you Montero made far too light work of him, but if he gets one on one with any player too often he's going to give them problems (he's lightening quick) so it's shortsighted to suggest Hibbert should've packed it in before the season. This mistaken attitude, combined with shortsightedness will leave you unable to see the stark reality of what playing Browning from the start would've meant in a game such a that.

Tbh think he would have got a chance at West Brom if our season had started off a little better but that ended up being a must win game to restore confidence after the Chelsea result.

Slighly surprised he didn't get minutes at Swansea but we were giving a lot of players their first starts this season that game - Hibbert, Besic, Gibson, Oviedo and Garbutt - perhaps felt adding Browning was just one step too far?
That sounds liek a likely scenario LL but given our percieved vulnerability at RB and that teh youngster was introduced in the derby, I'd have thought he'd have got pitch time before!

I cannot believe the love for Hibbert. He did not play well and he did back off far too much and allowed passes, shots, crosses in because of this. The suggestion of backing off until McCarthy could double up is scraping the barrel. Surely that weakens the team when you need one player to slow play down to allow another to do his job for him. Hibbert does not strengthen the team and until we can forget about loyalties and players being evertonians and look more deeply if they are good enough to don the shirt then we will always be second rate. I would rather have a player that is capable and be a non-evertonian than the opposite. For an example just look at the 20 minutes highlights to see how well hibbert did.

Status
Not open for further replies.