Have you ever sung "that song" ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know if you all remember, but in the 1989 Cup Final the pre-match entertainment was Liverpool based. People were singing the folk songs like "Maggie May" and "The Leaving of Liverpool" which was great. Then Gerry Marsden came out and encouraged everyone to sing "that song". Bearing in mind what had occurred, I suppose I don't blame my dad for singing along, especially as there wasn't as much hatred back in those days. But even on that occasion, I couldn't bring myself to sing it. I can't watch Carousel (and I really like musicals), and any time it comes on the radio or TV I have to turn it off.

So who sang it in 1989, have you ever sung it (maybe at a RS mate's funeral) and in what circumstances would you?

I think if my mate, who is a reasonable enough bloke for a RS, asked me to sing it at his funeral I'd do it grudgingly!!

You say the hatred wasn't there back in them days. But it was after Heysel and the European ban, which is the major reason that the hatred exists today. When/why do you reckon the Derby started turning to the full on hatred we have today?

I think if my mate, who is a reasonable enough bloke for a RS, asked me to sing it at his funeral I'd do it grudgingly!!
gtfo.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.