Have you ever sung "that song" ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hallamblue

Player Valuation: £35m
I don't know if you all remember, but in the 1989 Cup Final the pre-match entertainment was Liverpool based. People were singing the folk songs like "Maggie May" and "The Leaving of Liverpool" which was great. Then Gerry Marsden came out and encouraged everyone to sing "that song". Bearing in mind what had occurred, I suppose I don't blame my dad for singing along, especially as there wasn't as much hatred back in those days. But even on that occasion, I couldn't bring myself to sing it. I can't watch Carousel (and I really like musicals), and any time it comes on the radio or TV I have to turn it off.

So who sang it in 1989, have you ever sung it (maybe at a RS mate's funeral) and in what circumstances would you?

I think if my mate, who is a reasonable enough bloke for a RS, asked me to sing it at his funeral I'd do it grudgingly!!

It annoyed me that West Ham were singing the "sign on" version, not because it was a ridiculous 1980 pastiche (although that did annoy me frankly), but because it's the RS tune not ours FFS!

Nope never would, have been to plenty of occasions happy & sad that it's been played at mind. Understand it's sentimality to lots of people but associated too heavily with 'them'

Status
Not open for further replies.