Transfer Rumour Harry Winks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep, that's basically my perception of the lad. He's a better player than most people on here would give him credit for but I'm v sceptical as to whether he's the sort of number 6 we need. Essentially he's Gareth Barry without the defensive nous and with the added bonus of some well-documented confidence issues.

Still, don't think he merits anything like the sort of hysteria in this thread

Agreed.

But have to take into consideration our predicament financially and the mess of a squad we have that almost got relegated.

We're never going to buy the "perfect" player, they'll always be some frailty...hence why we sign them .

All I'll say about Winks is that he probably isn't going to be the only player coming in

If he's being brought in with a mind for us to play a certain way, and we're going to bring in other players with that in mind also, then this might be a decent signing as part of a balanced window

On his own he's hardly exciting, but if he's part of an overall rebuild and Thelwell/Lampard have an actual plan as to how we're going to play in which he fits, then this could end up being a shrewd bit of business

We won't know until the window closes and the season starts I guess

Is he that guy though, is he really a difference maker? I'm a bit 50/50 on it, in one breath i think it's a very meh signing and in the next, he's also slightly better than our horrendous midfield.

In a non-flashy, does a job, keeps and passes the ball....then IMO yes.

We have the worst midfield in the league. 100%. We could be with just 3 midfielders if Gbamin and Gomes leave (and they should), so we're talking a ground up rebuild. So his type of player is definitely the starting block.

All I'll say about Winks is that he probably isn't going to be the only player coming in

If he's being brought in with a mind for us to play a certain way, and we're going to bring in other players with that in mind also, then this might be a decent signing as part of a balanced window

On his own he's hardly exciting, but if he's part of an overall rebuild and Thelwell/Lampard have an actual plan as to how we're going to play in which he fits, then this could end up being a shrewd bit of business

We won't know until the window closes and the season starts I guess

Definitely.

3 midfielders at a push IMO.

In a non-flashy, does a job, keeps and passes the ball....then IMO yes.

We have the worst midfield in the league. 100%. We could be with just 3 midfielders if Gbamin and Gomes leave (and they should), so we're talking a ground up rebuild. So his type of player is definitely the starting block.
I personally don't believe that on his own, just adding him to the midfield is enough, we need someone else or we will still struggle to control games and protect the back four still.

He seems to play a bit Tom Davies so perhaps and indication of his time being over at Everton. I’ve not seen much of him just general disappointment from Spurs mates so seems a weird one but it’s on Lampard and Thelwell so if they chase him as a property then the lad’s performances in the team is writing their reference.

Van der Beek and Dele Alli weren’t the best from Lampard thus far so hope summer fares better.

That's because you're familiar with him. If it was some random from Portugal you'd be more excited after seeing a YouTube compilation.

Then he ends up spending 4 months "adjusting"

He's a very good premiership player from a team who have upgraded and are a million miles ahead of us.
10000%. Even if he was Portuguese but still played for Spurs I’d be pining for him

Doucoure does that...

Honestly don't mind Winks, useful player but 20M is steep. Spurs don't want him evidently so why are we paying so much? (if true obviously)

Nobody is giving is 20M for Gomes etc. How much was Bissouma for them? Efectively we would be funding that.
Yeah they have got a bargain with Bissuoma, I do wonder do Brighton know something regarding his upcoming case, seemed a low price, I just hate dealing with Spurs, Levy rarely comes out worse in talks

Yeah they have got a bargain with Bissuoma, I do wonder do Brighton know something regarding his upcoming case, seemed a low price, I just hate dealing with Spurs, Levy rarely comes out worse in talks
He only had a year left, and maybe wanted to get money in and not wait till the end of the window, when the price probably drops further.
I know Gilmour is younger and inexperienced compared to winks, but frank has raved about him, so a similar player but With more potential, I’m surprised he hasn’t tried for Gilmour on loan first, unless he’s been put off by his Norwich Loan

Status
Not open for further replies.