2017/18 Gylfi Sigurdsson

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree he works his socks off mate, and I do think he is trying too hard. His problem is he’s surrounded by mediocrity, but saying that, he’s still nowhere near the price we paid for him.

For that price, I think a player should be one who can dominate and dictate the game.
If he's surrounded by mediocrity and not standing out then what does that tell you?

He's as mediocre as the rest of them, no doubt about it.

If he's surrounded by mediocrity and not standing out then what does that tell you?

He's as mediocre as the rest of them, no doubt about it.

No I agree, he’s not great, but if someone is playing bad passes to you or your having to cover for them and chase their mistakes, it brings you down to their level and it’s hard to shine.

For me, hes our best player alongside Pickford.

Has immense quality on the ball; set piece delivery is superb as is his technique. Works harder than anyone in the team.

If you actually watch him off the ball you can see why he struggled yesterday.

Inevitably the ball from full back would go to Morgan/McCarthy who would then pass it back to the full back. They in turn would lump it forward or pass it back to Morgan/James. They would inevitably give the ball away or back to full back.

By then Siggy has gone from one position to another, to another. He has then had his full back to cover. Who cant pass it to him as he continually turns inside and by then the space Siggy is great at occupying is covered by the opposing team.

We need to build the team around him in my eyes.

Far and away our best. WBA was the worst. The second they picked McCarthy I knew we were toast. JonJoe would have the ball, or Holgate a couple times stepping forward, 40-50 yards from goal. Siggy would be moving around the top of the 18, Tosun in the box, Walcott wide...and there would be a gap of 30 yards in the center of the pitch with Morgan and McCarthy BEHIND the ball. WBA puts 5-6 in the box, concedes the space and NO ONE steps into it. Klaassen, Davies, even Rooney - yes, we are giving up on defense - would've stepped in there and WBA is literally toast. But Sam plays McCarthy. Granted, without Gana, I was terrified to see Rooney/Siggy together, but it made for entertaining football at least.

Siggy also, ONCE AGAIN, hit a set piece right on to someone's head, and they failed to do anything with it. He's literally the only one creating anything.

backed him from day 1 and said he needed to get fit and get played in his proper position but he wasn't very good on Saturday was he

I do think he's been one of our better players though ( isn't saying much ) it's not his fault the price we paid for him, that's steve walsh's fault

backed him from day 1 and said he needed to get fit and get played in his proper position but he wasn't very good on Saturday was he

I do think he's been one of our better players though ( isn't saying much ) it's not his fault the price we paid for him, that's steve walsh's fault

If you KNEW you were buying Rooney, Sigurdsson isn't as important. I'd much rather have Sigurdsson than Rooney of course, and I do believe they could both play in the same side, but for that fee, there was better uses for the money.

Again, you put Gana in for Morgan, you get Davies in there (or buy someone better), let Keane and Holgate get a run of games together, get a real left back, this team will be much better and Siggy will produce. Just he has for EVERYONE including Spurs. This idea that he didn't produce there is just ridiculous.

He isn't useless - I've been the biggest whinger about this signing - but he isn't what we needed, doesn't suit our team and isn't good enough to build a team around.

Personally I'd play him in centre mid (where he plays for Iceland), and where his energy might be more productive rather than as the "spark of genius" up front.
Agreed. Play him next to Gana who can run about like he does and I think we’d see an improvement.

interesting is that Sam comes out and states what we have been saying on here cannot play Siggy and Rooney together.

What he SHOULD have said, is that "they can't play together because I'm too stupid to get Morgan out of the lineup". I agree they shouldn't play often together, but against a toothless team like WBA, they would've worked fine if you have pace elsewhere. Yes, Gana was hurt, but if he plays Morgan when both are healthy we have a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.