2019/20 Gylfi Sigurdsson

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gylfi was brilliant for our third goal though.
Hopefully the game last night will have boosted the confidence of both Sigurdsson and Richarlison as both were better last night than they had been previously and in particular for the third goal as you say Gylfi did really well. However, I think that the overall tempo of our play is too slow and static and I do think that given the position he plays that he carries a lot of the responsibility for that.

Hopefully the game last night will have boosted the confidence of both Sigurdsson and Richarlison as both were better last night than they had been previously and in particular for the third goal as you say Gylfi did really well. However, I think that the overall tempo of our play is too slow and static and I do think that given the position he plays that he carries a lot of the responsibility for that.

Well he isn't involved enough apparently, so not sure how he's the one setting the tempo?

We go wide far, far too often. It's predictable.

Gylfi needs to be better, needs to do more, but we also need to start getting the ball into him when he does pick up those pockets of space (which is what he hasn't done enough this season).

Conversely, he can drop wide to find the space (like for our 3rd goal) and make stuff happen from there. But that means Richarlison or Bernard/Iwobi on the left have to cut inside to make sure there are men in the box.

Well he isn't involved enough apparently, so not sure how he's the one setting the tempo?

We go wide far, far too often. It's predictable.

Gylfi needs to be better, needs to do more, but we also need to start getting the ball into him when he does pick up those pockets of space (which is what he hasn't done enough this season).

Conversely, he can drop wide to find the space (like for our 3rd goal) and make stuff happen from there. But that means Richarlison or Bernard/Iwobi on the left have to cut inside to make sure there are men in the box.
He isn't setting the tempo, the games have been passing him by, he hasn't been involved enough.... that is the problem.

I would expect the player in his position to be the most creative on the team, his biggest strengths are his free kicks and the fact that he gets some very good goals from distance because he strikes the ball very well.
We go wide because there is no creativity or pace in the middle. Iwobi created more in fifteen minutes in the middle against Villa that Gylfi had in all three games that he had been involved in.

He isn't setting the tempo, the games have been passing him by, he hasn't been involved enough.... that is the problem.

I would expect the player in his position to be the most creative on the team, his biggest strengths are his free kicks and the fact that he gets some very good goals from distance because he strikes the ball very well.
We go wide because there is no creativity or pace in the middle. Iwobi created more in fifteen minutes in the middle against Villa that Gylfi had in all three games that he had been involved in.

Right, but he's never ever been a player who sets the tempo. People have been saying they 'expect' him to do that for years now. He just doesn't do it.

People also seem to view that no.10 role as the place where play is started. It isn't. It's on the deeper midfielders to set the tempo. Look at Chelsea. Mount doesn't set the tempo from his role at 10. He just darts about finding space.

Iwobi didn't play central v Villa. He played off the left with a free licence to go where he wanted.

Silva's the one who wants us to play wide. It's pretty clear.

He also asks Gylfi to push up alongside the striker - so he's hardly playing as an out and out 10.

What Gylfi hasn't done so far this season is drop when we do have the ball. Instead of looking to get in behind, he should be dropping back when we are in possession so he can receive the ball 25 yards out and work his magic one way or the other. But, that also requires our midfielders and full-backs to be drilling those passes into him. He hasn't got the pace to run back and do it himself.

The stick he gets is crazy. easy one of our best players. Constantly works hard if there is a good forward pass on he always plays it. Think he is class me. He seems to love playing for us as well look at his face every time we scored. lets get behind everyone this season. Don't need anyone to be made a scapegoat. Back every player even when they have a bad game. Could be a big season this.

Quality post. The truth

Sigurdsson is getting really involved the right. I like that from him. Get out of man marking and get to where you can do your damage. Playing some great crosses

Status
Not open for further replies.