2019/20 Gylfi Sigurdsson

Status
Not open for further replies.

He was pretty darn good. 6 key passes tonight and a terrific run and cross to Cenk. His nutmeg was sick, he should've flopped though since I thought he got fouled after it. Seemed like he looked OKAY in the middle in the 442, but not sure that's a good spot for him going forward.

Am I the only person who was disappointed by him again tonight? Hit the penalty well and played a good ball in for Iwobi's goal but other than that I don't remember him doing anything.

He never drops deep to collect the ball and direct the attacks like a no.10 probably should, instead he just hangs around the edge of the box which forces the centre-mids to always play the ball wide. It's why people say he goes missing, because he never finds space and never goes to the ball to carry it like Barkley used to do.

I want far more from him personally.

The stick he gets is crazy. easy one of our best players. Constantly works hard if there is a good forward pass on he always plays it. Think he is class me. He seems to love playing for us as well look at his face every time we scored. lets get behind everyone this season. Don't need anyone to be made a scapegoat. Back every player even when they have a bad game. Could be a big season this.

Am I the only person who was disappointed by him again tonight? Hit the penalty well and played a good ball in for Iwobi's goal but other than that I don't remember him doing anything.

He never drops deep to collect the ball and direct the attacks like a no.10 probably should, instead he just hangs around the edge of the box which forces the centre-mids to always play the ball wide. It's why people say he goes missing, because he never finds space and never goes to the ball to carry it like Barkley used to do.

This is clearly a tactic though. He is pushed right up alongside the striker. Silva sets the team up this way and has done for months.

He actually did drop deep at times last night too and when he did he put in some good crosses and played one really good pass (into Iwobi I think).

Got better as the game wore on.

On your last point about carrying the ball. He's never done that. Never will. He doesn't have the pace to beat three or four players off a standing start like Barkley could. So expecting him to do that just means you're bound to be disappointed.

He has been poor so far this season but last night started to look like he found some form. I don't think he could have any complaints if he doesn't start on Sunday, but I'm pretty sure he'll be in the XI.

He doesn't deserve the amount of stick he gets off a lot on here and when hes on form hes crucial to us but hes been awful so far this season, last night included.

At least nice to see him have the confidence to get back on pen duties and stick it away comfortably. He used to be a brilliant pen taker lets hope he can put last seasons poor record from the spot behind him

Again, he's not Barkley and he doesn't hold the ball. You don't have to hold ths ball to be a good player. He's playing the tactics position wise. He played central when we went 442 for example. He's doing what he's told.

Just watching the highlights again, funny how the commentators bring out their usual spiel about Glyfi and his brilliance (lol) from set pieces. “Oh and of course Sigurdsson will be the one to take this free kick knowing his ability....”

Then Digne steps up and bangs in an absolute pearler. I wish commentators would start talking about what players actually do and not just what seems to exist in their own mind. Digne should be on every set piece.

Just watching the highlights again, funny how the commentators bring out their usual spiel about Glyfi and his brilliance (lol) from set pieces. “Oh and of course Sigurdsson will be the one to take this free kick knowing his ability....”

Then Digne steps up and bangs in an absolute pearler. I wish commentators would start talking about what players actually do and not just what seems to exist in their own mind. Digne should be on every set piece.

Gylfi was brilliant for our third goal though.

Status
Not open for further replies.