2019/20 Gylfi Sigurdsson

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think he is definitely here until the summer. We are short of numbers in central midfield and at the moment I think Delph is even less popular that Sigurdsson as hard as that is to believe.
Gbamin is an unknown, Gomes is gone for the season.
That really only leaves Tom Davies and Schneiderlin.

As I think about it maybe we won't try to sell Sigurdsson, we have already invested a lot of money in buying and I doubt that we would get anything like 20m for him at present so why not leave him as part of the squad.
Next season we should have Gomes and Gbamin fit and have Tom Davies as well. We possibly only need to add one more central player to that and Siggy could be fifth choice.
He could also act as cover further forward as well leaving the manager with the need to spend money on fewer players but maybe able to spend more on those.
I am making the assumption that Delph and Schneiderlin will leave or just never be fit.

Thoughts as above @mikeh72

In short, and I certainly don't mean this to be disrespectful because I like @Kever10 and think he's a good poster, it's a lot of hot air.

There are lots to go at Sig with:

-His form and ineffectiveness this season
-His inability to play anywhere but as a second striker
-his set pieces (as Kev has mentioned)
-his tendency to be bullied when the chips are down
-his poor fitness this season

Plus many more. Fill your boots. I'm as annoyed as most by him this season.

But the stuff above? most of it can just be proven to be wrong if you look at last season.

Oh and Morgan not hiding?! I mean, that's just not true is it.

Sorry for late reply, it was a lot to take in, and I wanted to wait till I had proper time to read and reply.

In response to your individual rebuttals of my initial points, I will try to respond to it all without adding to the already massive edited version of my original post.

In terms of the "Odd goal", this is more in relation to the sparsity of total time these contributions take over actual goals tally at the end of the season. 13 is a respectful return for a midfielder who takes penalties. The problem here is, he isn't a midfielder. So as a striker who takes penalties, it's middling. But of course, he's not a striker either, is he? And therein lies the problem. He is excused the tasks of the midfielder or the striker, as he is neither.

Neither you nor I know the managers specific instructions he has been given, but I find it hard to imagine any manager, let alone a manager who's ethic is all about working hard for the team as Silvas is, would indulge a player in the manner you suggest without an enormous return on the supposed output. I mean, if he has genuinely been instructed to only "receive the ball in areas where it needed a single pass to create a goal OR where he could have a shot" and otherwise not get involved, or show any initiative to at times drop deeper, to generally be more of a nuisance, and simultaneously, harder to track and isolate from the game, then its no wonder we struggled as much as we did. Fortunately for us though, we have also watched Sigurdsson play under 5 additional managers, and for that reason, I don't think it was a Silva directive.

I wasn't specifically criticisng him for he things he can't do, what would be the point of that? I was however pointing out the things he doesn't do, purely to outline how little he offers. So we end up accommodating a player that doesn't dribble, carry the ball, tackle or run off the ball, doesn't make things happen unless he's passed to in a very specific area of the field, and even then, only fleetingly, and generally doesn't get involved. It's like buying a really expensive new car, but it can only drive when it snows.

Again, not being an option in a tight space is not to say he has never done it, just that he can't be relied on to do it. Yet another thing that is "not his job". Same with making late runs into box. Even centre halves have been known to do it on occasion, but you can't rely on them to do it like a Cahill or Fellaini. All of these points aren't to criticise an inability to do something. If that's not his strong point, that's fair enough, but by just highlighting all of the things he cant/doesn't do, it gives you an indication of why we can't find a place for him. This is his ineffectiveness, not the goals he was involved in directly or indirectly.

Scoring screamers isn't in itself a bad thing. The infrequency of his attempts when its a clear strength of his, is. Yet again, its another example of him not taking enough responsibility. There are so many occasions he gets in dangerous areas yet instead opts to pass backwards, out wide or an improbable pass between 2 defenders to try and set someone else up. Then, he comes on against West Ham, and almost to prove a point, scores that goal out of nothing. How can this not boil your blood as well? If you have a player with that ability, to do that, and 9 times out of 10 he opts not to. It's either cowardice or negligence, I don't know what's worse.

By rights, any player who has scored even some of the goals he has scored, 50 yard volleys, screamers in off the bar, match winners, Derby goals, and at Anfield no less, he SHOULD be a bona fide hero, a legend.

But he's not. And that tells you it's own story.

A huge part of that is people having been witness to and continually frustrated by his general apathy. People have seen through it and have rightly lost patience.

Last Sunday, a game that could and should have been his for the taking, was the last straw, and has shown him up for the fraud he is. The mask has well and truly slipped, and I honestly don't see a way back for him.

Gylfi and Scheid have to be dropped/gone simply for morale and medium/long term planning.

It makes a statement that lack of effort = gone.

Even if Gylfi in certain games may get us points its not in the long term interest. We are just about safe now.

Its not always the case you should play your `best team' on paper,.

He's played much better when he's come off the bench when he has that SEE YOU CANT BENCH ME attitude. Then he's gets put back into the starting lineup where he's awful. Which is I guess a better attitude than Morgan, who just cares none of the time.

Sorry for late reply, it was a lot to take in, and I wanted to wait till I had proper time to read and reply.

In response to your individual rebuttals of my initial points, I will try to respond to it all without adding to the already massive edited version of my original post.

In terms of the "Odd goal", this is more in relation to the sparsity of total time these contributions take over actual goals tally at the end of the season. 13 is a respectful return for a midfielder who takes penalties. The problem here is, he isn't a midfielder. So as a striker who takes penalties, it's middling. But of course, he's not a striker either, is he? And therein lies the problem. He is excused the tasks of the midfielder or the striker, as he is neither.

Neither you nor I know the managers specific instructions he has been given, but I find it hard to imagine any manager, let alone a manager who's ethic is all about working hard for the team as Silvas is, would indulge a player in the manner you suggest without an enormous return on the supposed output. I mean, if he has genuinely been instructed to only "receive the ball in areas where it needed a single pass to create a goal OR where he could have a shot" and otherwise not get involved, or show any initiative to at times drop deeper, to generally be more of a nuisance, and simultaneously, harder to track and isolate from the game, then its no wonder we struggled as much as we did. Fortunately for us though, we have also watched Sigurdsson play under 5 additional managers, and for that reason, I don't think it was a Silva directive.

I wasn't specifically criticisng him for he things he can't do, what would be the point of that? I was however pointing out the things he doesn't do, purely to outline how little he offers. So we end up accommodating a player that doesn't dribble, carry the ball, tackle or run off the ball, doesn't make things happen unless he's passed to in a very specific area of the field, and even then, only fleetingly, and generally doesn't get involved. It's like buying a really expensive new car, but it can only drive when it snows.

Again, not being an option in a tight space is not to say he has never done it, just that he can't be relied on to do it. Yet another thing that is "not his job". Same with making late runs into box. Even centre halves have been known to do it on occasion, but you can't rely on them to do it like a Cahill or Fellaini. All of these points aren't to criticise an inability to do something. If that's not his strong point, that's fair enough, but by just highlighting all of the things he cant/doesn't do, it gives you an indication of why we can't find a place for him. This is his ineffectiveness, not the goals he was involved in directly or indirectly.

Scoring screamers isn't in itself a bad thing. The infrequency of his attempts when its a clear strength of his, is. Yet again, its another example of him not taking enough responsibility. There are so many occasions he gets in dangerous areas yet instead opts to pass backwards, out wide or an improbable pass between 2 defenders to try and set someone else up. Then, he comes on against West Ham, and almost to prove a point, scores that goal out of nothing. How can this not boil your blood as well? If you have a player with that ability, to do that, and 9 times out of 10 he opts not to. It's either cowardice or negligence, I don't know what's worse.

By rights, any player who has scored even some of the goals he has scored, 50 yard volleys, screamers in off the bar, match winners, Derby goals, and at Anfield no less, he SHOULD be a bona fide hero, a legend.

A huge part of that is people having been witness to and continually frustrated by his general apathy. People have seen through it and have rightly lost patience.

Last Sunday, a game that could and should have been his for the taking, was the last straw, and has shown him up for the fraud he is. The mask has well and truly slipped, and I honestly don't see a way back for him.
As I said Kev, you're a good poster, proven here.
We will have to agree to disagree on his role. I absolutely appreciate it's speculation as neither of us were in the team meetings. It just seemed so obvious to me that he had to stay high and look to be the final pass. You're right though, I may be wrong on that.
Good to debate.

RIP @mkrudden forever in our hearts x

Status
Not open for further replies.