2018/19 Gylfi Sigurdsson

Status
Not open for further replies.
Strange one is siggurdson.

At the point of a lot of good things last season and one of the causes for the poor form as well.

Short term he is a goalscoring playmaker for us and the upturn in form by the end of the season suggests we now have a settled team.

Long term he will be replaced but not a priority. Would love to see competition for him though. That's always been out issue with our playmakers. Never have a backup to push them, didn't with arteta Barkley and now siggurdson.

No denying he’s a decent player, but does Marco have to shoehorn him in because he cost £45 Million? Yes he does.

Mate I think he builds the team to accommodate him because he is pretty much our best player

I think Silva would rather play a 4-3-3 with one holding mid and 2 box to box players but we don’t have enough good CMs to play that way.

At the end of the day you play the system that best suits your players, not play the players that best suits your system and that’s what Silva does so fair play to him.

Mate I think he builds the team to accommodate him because he is pretty much our best player

I think Silva would rather play a 4-3-3 with one holding mid and 2 box to box players but we don’t have enough good CMs to play that way.

At the end of the day you play the system that best suits your players, not play the players that best suits your system and that’s what Silva does so fair play to him.

This. One of the first names on the team sheet due to talent irrespective of cost.

Honestly don't get this whole "Player is 30, so he's finished" attitude that seems to be prevalent on here with some people

It's not how old you are, it's how old you feel

These guys are athletes, so long as they take care of themselves and stay disciplined then they can play to a high level past the age of 30

Yes. I've been thinking a bit about this recently. Lots of people point to how well Moyes did with younger players, but actually his bigger strengths were getting something out of older players. When he first arrived he got a tune out of Ferguson, Campbell, Stubbs, Weir. Over time you could add in Carsley, Unsworth, Osman, Hibbert, Neville, Cahill, Saha, Martyn, Watson, Pistone, Peinaar etc etc. All of them provided decent to excellent service for the club past their 30th year.

The wider point is there is value and importance to older players and a good coach will be able to recognise and utilise this.

As for the specific of Sigurdsson I think he will be fine as players go. Most of his game is not based on physicality but intelligence and technical skill. Generally it's the physical attributes that decline. He does cover a lot of ground but he doesn't do so at enormous pace, more he has a good football brain that helps him tactically.

In truth I underrated the intelligence of Sigurdsson. Some of the through balls he plays are fantastic and he's always looking for the clever ball through. With a Lukaku he'd had had a bundle of assists. Calvert Lewin is still learning in that regard. He will be fine. I do love this lets sell him stuff, who is going to pay us a decent fee as he approaches 30? He'll be more value to us as a player than the figure we get for him.

IMAGINE having a player that brought 20 direct goal contributions and counting down to the days he's gone.

Honestly, the world has gone MAD.

giphy.gif

Actually Silva said in an interview last week that he likes to play 4231 with a number 10

Status
Not open for further replies.