Guillermo Barros Schelotto

Status
Not open for further replies.

Have Everton ever had a decent Argentinian?

Denis-Stracqualursi.png

Yes.

Whiny crybaby who chokes big games, especially against us (River Plate).
Yes, he has won the last 2 leagues but the whole Argie soccer is led by Boca fans (the AFA prez, the vices, the head of refing, even the Argentinian president is a former Boca president).
The best ARG coach is ours, Marcelo Gallardo, who at a point was rumoured to join Monaco, but please don't go after him. You already killed my Ramiro :(

Whiny crybaby who chokes big games, especially against us (River Plate).
Yes, he has won the last 2 leagues but the whole Argie soccer is led by Boca fans (the AFA prez, the vices, the head of refing, even the Argentinian president is a former Boca president).
The best ARG coach is ours, Marcelo Gallardo, who at a point was rumoured to join Monaco, but please don't go after him. You already killed my Ramiro :(
I mentioned Gallardo back when martinez was sacked. Glad to hear he's still doing well! River play good footy too don't they?

I mentioned Gallardo back when martinez was sacked. Glad to hear he's still doing well! River play good footy too don't they?

Yes, River is one of the best playing sides atm. We haven't done well lately in the league because the main objective is the Libertadores, but Gallardo is a solid guy with a winning mentality.

GBS looks to be on the right path, but it seems early for him to be taking on a Premier League job. If he went to Spain and had some success there first, it would make more sense. Or at least if he won the Libertadores, which they're currently in danger of going out in the group stage.

That said, he's won two straight league titles with a club whose upper management, which holds control over building the squad, is just a total disaster. Over the past few years, Boca's sold off a lot of quality and replaced it with kids, head cases, and downgrades. Carlos Tevez came back for the second time this year - after being run out of China for being useless and out of shape - and he's basically Boca's Rooney. Their number 9 scored 9 in 9 before his season ended due to injury, and their captain was out injured for almost the entire season. All this in an extremely high-pressure environment where going a year without a trophy means you lose your job. Before that, he won the Copa Sudamericana (South American UEFA Cup) with Lanús - nowhere near a power club. He's certainly doing something right.
Having lived in the states for a few years, he can presumably get by in English.
He definitely has some characteristics that do make some sense as at least another name getting thrown around, but it would be a massive shock in both Argentina and England if he went to Everton.

Oh, and his main assistant coach is his twin brother.

Status
Not open for further replies.