GOT World Exclusive - video footage of the Lille police incident - CONTAINS BAD LANGUAGE

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.acpo.police.uk/documents/uniformed/2010/201008UNGPF01.pdf

Think the French police "debriefing" should be interesting.

They majorly messed up and exacerbated a situation unnecessarily for ONE arrest.

And put the health and safety of 10,000 and local Lille citizens in jeopardy due to a ridiculous escalation.

They looked to me the poorest trained police I've ever seen.

Institutionally them not mingling with the fans like the German Police caused more problems to themselves than anything.

The best thing could have done is had UNIFORMED police in the crowds talking to our fans and creating a good atmosphere. You get more cooperation then.

My questions are:

a ) Was it wise to chase a man into a crowded square populated by Everton fans?

b ) Was it wise to use 9 plain clothes police dressed like thugs and brandishing batons (this caused great alarm and panic), especially in light of the well-publicised incident the previous night;

c) Was it wise for riot police to indiscriminately use rubber bullets and tear gas cannisters and was this really warranted?

Didn't Celtic fans , not hooligans , corner and leather about 8 undercover bizzies in Amsterdam recently ? All over a pretty similar incident .

My questions are:

a ) Was it wise to chase a man into a crowded square populated by Everton fans?

b ) Was it wise to use 9 plain clothes police dressed like thugs and brandishing batons (this caused great alarm and panic), especially in light of the well-publicised incident the previous night;

c) Was it wise for riot police to indiscriminately use rubber bullets and tear gas cannisters and was this really warranted?

In the UK apparently they have a debrief after every fixture. Its why the quality we all know has generally gone up since the 1980's.

Its in the ACPO guidance for football policing.

Those questions should be asked:

There was no large scale public disorder (no bottle throwing until the arrest by undercover officers who didn't identify themselves well enough) therefore no need for indiscriminate tactics like tear gas.

Was it wise or worth the risk for ONE arrest ?

Why were uniformed officers not in amongst the crowd to begin with and talking to fans.

Would it not of been better to get the suspected drug dealer on camera and arrest the person later (not in the square).

Basically, from everything. It was sheer police ineptitude and its a miracle someone was not seriously and permanently hurt.

The French police really need to learn some lessons.

The police do look like thugs, how was anyone to know they weren't after the previous nights antics, if they would have got filled in it wouldn't have been a surprise.
The liverpool and united fans I've spoke to, say the French police treated them like animals when they have been there.
They need to sort their policing out before there is a serious incident over there.

What function do armed undercover police serve in this situation, if not to provoke inevitable hostility?

Almost as if they were looking for a reaction...

It's hard to think of anything past this.

Their rationale may have been; we look terrible for the previous antics caused by the 50 or so hoodlums, lets storm in pretending to be them, provoke a reaction and make it look as though the travelling fans are the thugs.

Status
Not open for further replies.