Goodison atmosphere

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't know what the answer is regarding the atmosphere. It's been terrible for a number of seasons, toxic in the last 6 months of the Martinez reign. However even when we were banging in goals for fun in the second half of last season, the atmosphere still wasn't great. Can't stand klopp but his antics on the touchline does tend to galvanise their support, whereas koeman doesn't instill that same passion into our supporters.
It says it all, that the atmosphere improved immensely when niasse (who let's face it 99% of the crowd wanted out in the summer, including me) came into the pitch. His enthusiasm and effort, immediately lifted the crowd as did the performance of vlasic the other night. These are hungry players with a point to prove, surrounded by multi millionaires who frankly only care about their bank balances.
My point is the very least we expect is effort and passion when playing for the shirt. Sadly we don't see it often enough.

Goodison has always had a poor atmosphere. Goodison only becomes the bear pit when a flash point occurs, like a bad tackle, bad decision, if the game is quiet, the ground always is! The problem we have is that all the current flashpoints are bad passes, or stupid fouls or tackles by our lads, so when there is an atmosphere it is a negative one. We need a Loon on the pitch (a Graveson type) who will charge everywhere and show passion. That has to be replicated on the bench, so Koeman has to look like he gives a sh** too.

Also, the fans can do what they like, they're the ones paying their money to watch the team. I wouldn't swap them for anyone.
Yes I agree, fans pay their money and should be able to support them how they choose. However those who want to sing get abuse for wanting to. Apparently you're a wool or a kopite if you like singing.

Football fans have changed, they’re no longer the noisy, chanting lot they used to be. I’m some ways I think modern fans are quite apathetic, but they still buy their season tickets and follow their club every single week, so who are we to criticise?

Away games in England and in Europe most people are spent by the time theyve left the bar. Lille and Nuremburg massive numbers wouldn't have known we were there at the game

Nailed.
Said this before, a team needs confidence, and that comes from supporters.
Modern football has too many fans, and not enough supporters.
A fan is someone who just wants their ego boosting by reflected glory, so it turns ugly when they're disappointed.
I'm embarrassed by the crowds at the moment - they're more responsible for our lack of confidence than any manager.
Fair points.
Regards the crowds though, surely all we want is to see them graft their cojones off. A bit of passion wouldn't go amiss either.
If they do at least one of those things, then maybe the crowd will get behind them.

Yes. Lots of negative connotations have been attached to singers at Everton. The very mention of singing and you get accusations of wool, helmets, kopites, Geordie, happy clappers, cringeworthy, toe curling, smalltime...efc

It started in when skies are grey one quote of many was "some of us wouldn't be seen dead singing at the match, f.kn kopite behaviour".

You soon had people with any mention of singing repeating lines and phrases limelight one, and the 'ideology' was born.

Think with the millenials generation (myself included), there is an effect on the atmosphere too with the social media where fans just like to vent out their frustrations and heap praise when playing good. The days of supporting through thick and thin seem to be fading now. I said it in my earlier post that the atmosphere has been on the down for the last 3 years or so now. There are teams like Borussia Dortmund where no matter how bad the game goes their atmosphere is top notch. Even after Klopp left them they still have a jam packed crowd, flags, drum rolling and singing for 90 mins. Even if they lose its still the same.

This doesn't mean we should not boo gutless performances or after the 90 mins if we lose like we did vs Spurs, but at the start of the game the atmosphere should be shaking the ground. If we go 1-0 down it should still be good enough to urge the team forward rather than hurling abuse every time.

Don't get me wrong, there is definitely something wrong at Goodison but it's not just on a one game basis, it goes back a few seasons now where we've been served up spineless performances and paid for the privilege then it's the expectation that's come over those seasons were we start believing that we're going somewhere only for us to take one step forward then 2 back, it's gone on that long now that I think even when we do play well the fans automatic response is 'Everton that' and we sit and wait for the inevitable equaliser and be the laughing stock, it's going to take something major to stop that attitude but a good start would be players putting in a shift, players half arsed performances and managers playing certain players over others just adds to the fume

yeh, we have gotten a bit down about it all it seems.

Status
Not open for further replies.