Goats squad analysis thread 2020/21

Status
Not open for further replies.
Those centre-midfield options are nauseating.

Literally one decent player among them.

If we get someone that compliments Gomes I'll be happy. Gbamin is untested so could be really good or dreadful and I don't mind Delph and Davies as 4th and 5th choice. The key thing is to try and shift the rest of them somehow.

From Goats graphics department x

ElIfIaC.png
Other than the eldest outfield player (LB) anyone in that squad over 27 could be punted and we would be no worse off.

If we get someone that compliments Gomes I'll be happy. Gbamin is untested so could be really good or dreadful and I don't mind Delph and Davies as 4th and 5th choice. The key thing is to try and shift the rest of them somehow.
If Gbamin could come in and play a destroyer role in games where the midfield needs to be packed, it'd be a big help. The rest of the time, Gomes + someone who can sit and take the ball from the defenders should work.

I'd get rid of Delph as a matter of urgency, but I imagine Davies will blag himself another couple of years.

Keep theo and Bernard but defo bring in another winger, obviously CMs are a yes (I’d get 2) a CB, and a decent back up keeper who can keep Jordan on his toes.

We need a process of evolution not revolution under Carlo, strategically undertaken in partnership with Brands.

We've had two attempts at revolution with Koeman and Silva - understandably with a new back pocket full of cash. I think in both Koeman's and Silva's cases it could have gone either way at times, but unless you can spend hundreds of millions in one go on proven top echelon players, trying to change 6-8 of the first choice XI each season with players a level below (often overpriced) won't work. For every Richarlison there have been too many Klaasen's and Bolasie's with the current plan.

It is about systematically building a team around a system and although there are so many names on our squad list that we all know could be replaced with better individuals (at a price) we need to get 3-4 of the right players, in the right positions where we need them now and look to specifically identify and develop academy players (2-3) ready to challenge for other positions for the season after next.

Reflecting on how Carlo seems to have set us up so far, the obvious gaps seem to be centre-mid (box-to-box) and ball-playing left-sided centre back (someone who can play "through the lines" - which is why Holgate has leapt to being first choice). Although half the names we're linked with are probably rubbish - unsurprisingly many tend to play in these two positions.

I am a bit stumped on what we do about a goalie. Does Pickford have capacity to improve and can Carlo get him too? I would persevere with him for at least one more season unless a guaranteed improvement becomes available - like a Donnarumma or suchlike.

In the modern game full-backs are so important - look at the difference TAA and Robertson make over the Park, but not sure they are integral to the Carlo model. Digne/Baines good enough for next season and my heart says I would love to see Kenny make a go of it, and capt Coleman is sufficient as back-up (especially with his influence on the club as a whole) but head says we need an upgrade, so that would be next on my list.

After that, to qualify for the top 4 we will need more goals from attacking midfield or wide. Carlo doesn't really play with an out-and-out number 10, so not much point trying to replace Sig for huge cash with a Maddison or a Grealish type of player, so more goals will need to come from out wide. I think Carlo will eventually get a game out of Iwobi and Bernard (both have the attributes, but need the decision-making and consistency) so if we could ship out permanently Bolasie, an attack-minded right-winger would be my number 4. I would like to see Gordon get more of a chance - but not sure what is best position is?

Having said I wouldn't try to change too many in one go - if a top-class forward became available of a different ilk to what we have (e.g. Milik style) that enabled us to mix it up when needed, then we'd be foolish not to take it, but only if we can shift Tosun permanently. Perhaps a whole pre-season under Carlo can get Kean firing... time will tell!

We need a process of evolution not revolution under Carlo, strategically undertaken in partnership with Brands.

We've had two attempts at revolution with Koeman and Silva - understandably with a new back pocket full of cash. I think in both Koeman's and Silva's cases it could have gone either way at times, but unless you can spend hundreds of millions in one go on proven top echelon players, trying to change 6-8 of the first choice XI each season with players a level below (often overpriced) won't work. For every Richarlison there have been too many Klaasen's and Bolasie's with the current plan.

It is about systematically building a team around a system and although there are so many names on our squad list that we all know could be replaced with better individuals (at a price) we need to get 3-4 of the right players, in the right positions where we need them now and look to specifically identify and develop academy players (2-3) ready to challenge for other positions for the season after next.

Reflecting on how Carlo seems to have set us up so far, the obvious gaps seem to be centre-mid (box-to-box) and ball-playing left-sided centre back (someone who can play "through the lines" - which is why Holgate has leapt to being first choice). Although half the names we're linked with are probably rubbish - unsurprisingly many tend to play in these two positions.

I am a bit stumped on what we do about a goalie. Does Pickford have capacity to improve and can Carlo get him too? I would persevere with him for at least one more season unless a guaranteed improvement becomes available - like a Donnarumma or suchlike.

In the modern game full-backs are so important - look at the difference TAA and Robertson make over the Park, but not sure they are integral to the Carlo model. Digne/Baines good enough for next season and my heart says I would love to see Kenny make a go of it, and capt Coleman is sufficient as back-up (especially with his influence on the club as a whole) but head says we need an upgrade, so that would be next on my list.

After that, to qualify for the top 4 we will need more goals from attacking midfield or wide. Carlo doesn't really play with an out-and-out number 10, so not much point trying to replace Sig for huge cash with a Maddison or a Grealish type of player, so more goals will need to come from out wide. I think Carlo will eventually get a game out of Iwobi and Bernard (both have the attributes, but need the decision-making and consistency) so if we could ship out permanently Bolasie, an attack-minded right-winger would be my number 4. I would like to see Gordon get more of a chance - but not sure what is best position is?

Having said I wouldn't try to change too many in one go - if a top-class forward became available of a different ilk to what we have (e.g. Milik style) that enabled us to mix it up when needed, then we'd be foolish not to take it, but only if we can shift Tosun permanently. Perhaps a whole pre-season under Carlo can get Kean firing... time will tell!

LCB / RB / CM / RW

I agree with everything there but would 100% keep Kean.

Id also buy a LB to take over from Baines over the season.

Would be good to sign players for u23s as well from lower league sides who need the cash.

Stekelenberg has been culled too. Redo the whole post.

Manager : Carlo Ancelotti

GK

Jordan Pickford (HG)
João Virginia
Maarten Stekelenburg *
Jonas Lössl

RB
Séamus Coleman
Jonjoe Kenny (HG)

LB
Lucas Digne
Leighton Baines *(HG)
Luke Garbutt * (HG)
Cuco Martina *

CB
Yerry Mina
Michael Keane (HG)
Mason Holgate (HG)
Lewis Gibson
Matthew Pennington (HG)
Morgan Feeney *

DM/CM/AM
André Gomes
Jean-Philippe Gbamin
Gylfi Sigurðsson (HG)
Tom Davies (HG)
Fabian Delph (HG)
Muhamed Bešić
Kieran Dowell (HG)
Beni Baningime (HG)
Callum Connolly (HG)

Widers
Bernard
Theo Walcott (HG)
Alex Iwobi (HG)

Anthony Gordon
Yannick Bolasie
Josh Bowler

ST
Richarlison
Dominic Calvert-Lewin (HG)
Moise Kean
Cenk Tosun
Oumar Niasse *

Sandro Ramírez

Total players: 37

Players culled so far: 1

Schneiderlin - thank f__k he's gone.

Players purchased so far: 0

Homegrown players: 16

Players with an Asterix contracts are due to expire 30.06.2020

Those with a line through should be binned off, obviously, this wont happen overnight, just shows what dross we have. Almost a miracle we haven't got relegated. Mr Brands and Mr Ancelotti have their work cut out to make us competitive.

Status
Not open for further replies.