Gibson

Status
Not open for further replies.
Really? why would be get rid ? Barry is going to cost us a lot on wages and can see other top clubs coming in for him. If we do manage to sign him, Gibbo would be a great cover player which we will need giving the potential extra euro games.

Maybe Martinez doesn't like him. I don't know.

He's still quality. We need his variety in midfield. Might have earned us a couple more points in games like Palace and West Brom. Where might we be then? Still the best passer in the team.

Rather not risk him to be fair. Let him rest, give him a full pre-season and we'll be sound.
I dont think it is a question of risking him. I am a big fan of Gibson. However, Gibson is a lad who needs to be playing plenty of games to be match fit. As he is not a naturally fit lad and puts on the pounds easy, he is not going to be match fit to play against one of the best three teams in the country.

If we play him against City, it will bite us in the ass big time. We need him for next season. We have other options to cover against City.

It's fair enough if lads have opinions on players and feel we'd be better off going down a different road, but trying to play mind-reader with the manager's thoughts on the player is just simply sad, speculative guff, especially when all indications of Bobby's actual opinions are to the contrary. I'm sure that a fit Gibson will be in Martinez plans.

I know Martinez is a positive guy but these are the things he's had to say about Gibson:

-“Darron’s a special footballer. What he brings to the team is quite unique and I think he is one of those players that is at the perfect moment of his career. He’s ready to take a big role at Everton."

-“We need Darron fit too. Darron is a special player and he brings something different to the side."

-"I thought it was important for Darron Gibson to get some playing time after so long away. We need that competition and that know how. He is a vital player for us so it was great to see him get that time on the pitch and it will be very beneficial for him."

-“Gibbo has been working really hard in pre season and was magnificent. He had the setback against Betis, which was the medial ligament. For him to come back against Man City and get half an hour under his belt, then perform in the manner he did for Ireland showed that he was back to his best. The experience will give him the right character he needs to fulfil his enormous potential. He has years ahead of him."

-"To see him back before the end of the season would be an incredible boost. He’d bring freshness and desire and the mentality he has developed over the last few months, focusing so intently on getting back, is a real positive and something we’d welcome in the side. If we could get him back at the end of April so he’s ready for that final push for those last few points in the league it could be very important.”

-"He is well ahead of schedule and that always pleases me, to see a player get ahead of the timing because it shows all the hard work they put in behind the scenes when nobody is watching. The desire of Darron has been sensational in that respect and to have him around the place is a great sign. It will be great for him to be involved one way or another before the season ends, even though that would be an incredible and remarkable achievement since looking back on when the injury happened with the national team."

Also, Graeme Jones' thoughts from pre-season:

-“We need to keep Darron fit because everyone has seen his quality tonight and a lot of our play went through him. Early on he looks like our playmaker although there’s a long way to go. He’s a fit boy but he’s been unfortunate in the past to pick up a few injuries. He’s in the prime of his career now though and hopefully he’s going to have a pattern of play that suits his talent."

Some amount of utter crap being spouted in this thread. Some of the comments are embarrassing. Gibbo was a revelation for us when he arrived which i think everyone can agree was a massive surprise. When he first started playing for us I think it was like a year until we lost a game which he played in. Some of his passing was mind-blowing and his defensive play off the ball was very intelligent.

When he was at his peak, he could take a short ball off the defense and link with the wing-backs / wingers / strikers to set up an attack as good as any top midfielder in the premiership. He was an excellent player and I expect that we'll support him 100% to help him get back to playing as good as he was before this nasty injury (even during pre-season I remember watching him and just thinking wow!!) Ideally, he will be ready to fill in for Barry for the city game but I suspect that's highly wishful thinking.

Anyway, he is player that will fit perfectly into Martinez system when he comes back and anyone who's forgotten just how good he was for us please watch this video and remind yourself just how important he will be for us next season (and possibly at the end of this current one) when he's fully fit again.

He'd obviously fit in the team well, but the only thing that worries me is the fact that he's more or less made of glass and his strength isn't exactly fantastic either, whereas we play 2 central midfielders that can tackle.

Other than that - great player to have.

He wouldn't, sadly.
Why sadly?

He's not a bad player who can do a very good job for us, but is very unlucky to be injury prone.
With Europe pretty much guaranteed right now - we'd need a squad, so we'd need him to be here.

That said, if someone gives £10m for him - I'd probably agree it's time to sell him... lol

Status
Not open for further replies.