Gerard Deulofeu - Once a Blue, always a Blue

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll happily admit, Gerry frustrates the life out of me! The last 5 games i've not wanted him in the team, i said it the other day, he has the potential but that takes him to learn passing, and stop sulking.

But i'm happy to admit i said Ronaldo would never become world class, all he did was step overs.

Ahh...

Said the exact same thing about Ronaldo mate, can remember thinking watching him, all you needed to do was go right through him once early in a game and he was anonymous after that and it happened numerous times in his first year playing, oh boy how wrong was that

Del is without any shadow of a doubt the most frustrating player i have EVER seen play for us though, feel the same way torn between wishing him to play and wanting him off when he does, yet back of the mind is the knowledge he can turn it on in a instant and win a game.

Valuable talent to have here for another year, especially as Barca seem to be effectively giving him on loan for free as long as we match certain playing targets agreed upon

Said the exact same thing about Ronaldo mate, can remember thinking watching him, all you needed to do was go right through him once early in a game and he was anonymous after that and it happened numerous times in his first year playing, oh boy how wrong was that

Del is without any shadow of a doubt the most frustrating player i have EVER seen play for us though, feel the same way torn between wishing him to play and wanting him off when he does, yet back of the mind is the knowledge he can turn it on in a instant and win a game.

Valuable talent to have here for another year, especially as Barca seem to be effectively giving him on loan for free as long as we match certain playing targets agreed upon
I agree, he's so frustrating, but i'll have him back next season IF he stops being so greedy.

Lukaku is the same, he can look like he's not bothered then do something special!

People forget how young these lads are

I agree, he's so frustrating, but i'll have him back next season IF he stops being so greedy.

Lukaku is the same, he can look like he's not bothered then do something special!

People forget how young these lads are

It's also the one negative of the loan system to counter the positives, in the end our success and failures are not as important to them and their careers as they are for players under contract, it's probably why i prefer any loan to have the option pre agreed to buy, not applicable to either of these two though i guess (delefeou definitely not)

Terrible exaggeration.

Stoke at home. Fulham at home. Spurs at home. Liverpool at home.

His finishing needs work. His final ball needs work. But to act like he's been awful all season on the back of a few poor performances is hyperbole of the worst sort.

There's four. He's played 26 games.

I'd say aside from flashes of brilliance he has been awful. You've named four games he's played well in there, and he got us a draw with a great goal against Arsenal. That's about it.

I'd say aside from flashes of brilliance he has been awful. You've named four games he's played well in there, and he got us a draw with a great goal against Arsenal. That's about it.
You expect a 100% consistently brilliant player on loan at the age of 19?

I guess you and I have differing expectations. I believe that on the back of those 5 games (of 26) he has shown enough potential that if he works out the obvious flaws in his game, he has the potential to be one of the best in the world. If he doesn't have the correct mentality, he'll never reach those heights.

Playing devil's advocate mate though, what would we be saying about Barkley if he was a loan player at us, i guess a similar type of thing - although pre injury he was a lot more influential, since then he has been probably less effective than gerry

Terrible exaggeration.

Stoke at home. Fulham at home. Spurs at home. Liverpool at home.

His finishing needs work. His final ball needs work. But to act like he's been awful all season on the back of a few poor performances is hyperbole of the worst sort.

...tend to agree. Sometimes he's gets the other side of his full back with amazing ease from a virtually standing start. He looks a class act to me, although I appreciate he can frustrate.

Playing devil's advocate mate though, what would we be saying about Barkley if he was a loan player at us, i guess a similar type of thing - although pre injury he was a lot more influential, since then he has been probably less effective than gerry

I don't think Barkley's had as good of a season as people make out, but he's at least a bit more consistent. Even if Barkley isn't playing well he still makes tackles, holds it in quite well and works hard. Deulofeu does next to nothing.

You expect a 100% consistently brilliant player on loan at the age of 19?

I guess you and I have differing expectations. I believe that on the back of those 5 games (of 26) he has shown enough potential that if he works out the obvious flaws in his game, he has the potential to be one of the best in the world. If he doesn't have the correct mentality, he'll never reach those heights.

When have I said that?

I agree he could be brilliant if he irons out his flaws, but if I had wings I'd be a plane.

We seem to be trying to sorting out the mess of a player with potential that the Barcelona academy has left us with. They should be paying us for the loan.

When have I said that?

I agree he could be brilliant if he irons out his flaws, but if I had wings I'd be a plane.
I think we're not too far apart in this discussion actually. I was just focusing on his potential.

I think he absolutely can go past players easily. I agree that he is frustrating as hell and is nowhere near the finished product.

He's not worth 20 million to me. It's too much of a risk. If I knew him personally, and thought he had the right attitude, I'd spend 20 million on him with no second thought. Alternatively, if I knew him and he didn't, I'd be hard pressed to spend 10.

I was mostly illustrating the 'feelings' I get from him as compared to Lukaku. And since I only know them from television, they could be terribly wrong.

It's all moot, we won't be buying. I'd like to see him back next year because he'll be very useful in Europe, and maybe we'll see if he grows.

I think we're not too far apart in this discussion actually. I was just focusing on his potential.

I think he absolutely can go past players easily. I agree that he is frustrating as hell and is nowhere near the finished product.

He's not worth 20 million to me. It's too much of a risk. If I knew him personally, and thought he had the right attitude, I'd spend 20 million on him with no second thought. Alternatively, if I knew him and he didn't, I'd be hard pressed to spend 10.

I was mostly illustrating the 'feelings' I get from him as compared to Lukaku. And since I only know them from television, they could be terribly wrong.

It's all moot, we won't be buying. I'd like to see him back next year because he'll be very useful in Europe, and maybe we'll see if he grows.

I reckon he could be absolutely boss but almost chooses not to.

If he got a bit of pace up he could just push it past the defender and be gone within a millisecond. Instead he pisses about far too much. But he also beats players quite well from a standing start then goes back on himself unnecessarily. Brilliant cross at times.

Status
Not open for further replies.