Transfer Rumour Gabriel (Lille)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you genuinely think he would have came out and announced his failure? It's basic PR to sell his "decision" to stick with Holgate.
So it isn't possible that he trusted Holgate longer term along with Mina and Keane and just wanted a 4th guy short term until Holgate was ready?

Do you genuinely think he would have came out and announced his failure? It's basic PR to sell his "decision" to stick with Holgate.

No mate, he admitted his failure to land a CB.

“I think we were pretty close to what we wanted to achieve, the only one we didn’t was one of our goals was to get a central defender, especially Kurt Zouma, but because of the ban at Chelsea that was a difficult one."

But you said his plan B was bad.

As I say, his plan B was Mason Holgate.

Nonsense. If that were his strategy Garbutt would have been our LB and he'd be saying the same cliche's. But that didn't happen because he landed Digne.

The truth is he messed up and got lucky when Holgate turned out to be vastly improved.

Either way you don't win trophies by not replacing 1st team players in favour of praying very average youngsters suddenly vastly improve. For that reason I doubt it was the plan B.
Garbutt ?

Luke ??

Who ???

“We made a decision not to renew Phil Jagielka to give Mason Holgate more perspective for his future because he’s very talented. We also have a very young boy Lewis Gibson who had a very good preseason, and we need him to step up more than he has already, but he’s a player with a future at Everton.”

I think we both know that was crap though, we really should have moved on from Zouma a lot earlier in the window. If rojo was the backup plan, that's even worse. My only qualm with brands' job so far.

I think we both know that was crap though, we really should have moved on from Zouma a lot earlier in the window. If rojo was the backup plan, that's even worse. My only qualm with brands' job so far.

Rojo was Marco Silvas back up plan.

Brands said no and stuck with Holgate.

Was Marcel Brands right to not buy a CB in the last window? Keane is much improved and Holgate is getting talked about in elite circles.

It was certainly a risk, but its a risk that has bared fruit.

Was Marcel Brands right to not buy a CB in the last window? Keane is much improved and Holgate is getting talked about in elite circles.

Whether its by design or luck, you need a lucky manager and a lucky DOF.

Surprised not many people seem excited about the coming window with Brands and Ancelotti bringing in the first wave of new signings.

Branthwaite and Niels so far with high potential in two key areas where we lack depth. The same area of course which Gabriel plays so it seems thats a strong focus of ours.

Going to be interesting to see where our focus lies.

My guess is that it will continue to be a focus on younger players with one older 'wildcard' thrown into the mix.

Think he got very lucky, after this loan at West Brom, none of us would have said Holgate should be our first choice centre back. A lot of us still don't want Michael keane in that first team either, despite a few good games recently.

With hindsight maybe you can say it's paid off, but that's only because we got rid of silva and got ancelotti in. We've only tightened up since then, we still have the tendancy to let in a load of goals ie chelsea and arsenal.

Even with hindsight i still think he was wrong not to buy another centre back.

Think he got very lucky, after this loan at West Brom, none of us would have said Holgate should be our first choice centre back. A lot of us still don't want Michael keane in that first team either, despite a few good games recently.

With hindsight maybe you can say it's paid off, but that's only because we got rid of silva and got ancelotti in. We've only tightened up since then, we still have the tendancy to let in a load of goals ie chelsea and arsenal.

Even with hindsight i still think he was wrong not to buy another centre back.

With hindsight if he had bought another defender then Holgate may have been sold or not gotten game time.

Not sure why we would have wanted a 4th defender...we got lucky.

Nonsense. If that were his strategy Garbutt would have been our LB and he'd be saying the same cliche's. But that didn't happen because he landed Digne.

The truth is he messed up and got lucky when Holgate turned out to be vastly improved.

Either way you don't win trophies by not replacing 1st team players in favour of praying very average youngsters suddenly vastly improve. For that reason I doubt it was the plan B.

How does Mason Holgate being good mean that Luke Garbutt (who is 5 years older) is good?

You make it sound like Brands and the coaching staff had never met Mason Holgate before.

I think this is the longest transfer speculation we’ve been linked too, ever. Even surpassing Yarmolenko! It’s really boring to see the latest headline being linked with him or him going to Napoli! He best be good if we actually do sign him!!

Status
Not open for further replies.