2022/23 Frank Lampard

Status
Not open for further replies.
He should never have agreed to the sale of Richarlison without having his replacement lined up.

Yes, defence and midfield upgraded, but it means f.a. if you pile a lot of pressure on them by not getting ahead in games with goals.

Lampard should have demanded another striker in once Calvert-Lewin underlined he was an unreliable player for him this season when breaking down in pre-season training.

I'd say we've easily lost 8-10 points with that indecision.

Lampard has improved the defence and made us a bit more competitive in midfield. If he can sort the top end of the pitch out then we’ll be a decent outfit. Obviously if results spiral out of control then he’ll probably have to go but if we can keep heads above water up to Christmas and then improve the team in January we should be ok.

I think the improvement in midfield is becoming a bit of a myth, im not sure we've improved all that much there to be honest. Was woeful last night, was really disappointed with it.

Hate to break this too you but hitting the post is a miss, not on target, not worth a carrot, I suppose Pickford making saves is part of our luck as well, not him doing his job?

Why did I not stop reading at XG conceded ffs lol
The best managers in the world use data and stats to move their teams forward. It's helpful.

I'm not an xG devotee and don't tend to look into that kind of stat too much but all it does really is quantify what you can see with the naked eye. We do allow teams to get at us too much, and we are overly reliant on last ditch interventions rather than looking like a properly sound defensive unit that repels attacks before they get to the dangerous stage. That isn't even a criticism, our defence isn't bad but I think people have gone overboard about how good it is.
I think I'm probably comparing it to last season in my head when i ralk about it. And compared to that, it's immeasurably better.

So we just ignore his 2 wins in 11?
Do we ignore the fact we were so poor last night that we only managed 1 shot against a team that did not get out of 3rd gear.
Far to many fans are ready to excuse his massive failings because he isn't the FSW.
He has been here since Feb, we don't give him a free pass last Yr as that's just nonsense, have we improved? Marginally if you are being very kind

Who's ignoring it? There's issues and we're lacking. But why we panicking?

Newcastle didn't get out 3rd gear? Maybe because we stopped them. 1 shot? If we had 20 shots and didn't score, would that change your mind? We'd still have the same issues.

And marginally improved from our worst ever premier league season means we won't get relegated

I think I'm probably comparing it to last season in my head when i ralk about it. And compared to that, it's immeasurably better.
Yeah that's certainly fair. We look far less flakey and likely to implode, and we don't look as nervy on set pieces etc so there are improvements for sure. We're still too easily got at though, whether you call it xG or just look at the situations we find ourselves in, it's clear that teams are able to cause us problems too easily.

Yeah that's certainly fair. We look far less flakey and likely to implode, and we don't look as nervy on set pieces etc so there are improvements for sure. We're still too easily got at though, whether you call it xG or just look at the situations we find ourselves in, it's clear that teams are able to cause us problems too easily.
I think part of that comes down to how poor our forward line is though. The frustration in the ground yesterday was palpable whenever it came forward, because it would go to Gordon or gray, and they either immediately passed it backwards, or lost the ball. It means the balls then comes straight back at us.

And Coleman and myko were often then stranded and Newcastle did the same little triangle and flick round the full back 7/8 times and were in behind them.

Not really conspicuous, I said they were unbeaten at home, im happy to list all those results if youd like, but its covered in my comment of being unbeaten. But not losing to city, when pretty much every team is doing so, is a notable result in itself. Isn't it?

Same way that Villa getting a point vs city is a notable result for villa.
No need to list them, I'm just saying that while they're a decent side, it's not like it's ridiculous to think we could go there and get something. Last night was only their 4th win of the season, the others having been against 2 newly promoted sides and Brentford. The way some people have been talking about it you'd think we were asking them to get something at the Bernabeu, not against a team that had failed to beat Palace, Brighton, Bournemouth and Wolves so far.

I think part of that comes down to how poor our forward line is though. The frustration in the ground yesterday was palpable whenever it came forward, because it would go to Gordon or gray, and they either immediately passed it backwards, or lost the ball. It means the balls then comes straight back at us.

And Coleman and myko were often then stranded and Newcastle did the same little triangle and flick round the full back 7/8 times and were in behind them.
I'm just talking about them defending, not 'the defence' as such. Whether the problems come from further up or not doesn't really matter if it ends the same way.

Isn't that exactly what XG is supposed to be? A measure of the quality of chances a team is creating or conceding. It's just a data measurement to use in context with other available data. Really not sure why it inspires such loathing and devotion in equal measure.

And even with 25 shots a game the XG could still be way below 1 per game so it wouldn't necessarily be huge. Just as only having two shots could be somewhere near 2 if they're excellent chances.

It's a flawed metric to prove a negative or positive that doesn't really effect a game based on a variety of factors. Like you say, you can have 2 excellent chances (case in point against Spurs) which weren't registered for a number of reasons. It's basically a statto version of form for goals. And you can lose a game on the back of good form

It's for betting heads IMO.

He should never have agreed to the sale of Richarlison without having his replacement lined up.

Yes, defence and midfield upgraded, but it means f.a. if you pile a lot of pressure on them by not getting ahead in games with goals.

Lampard should have demanded another striker in once Calvert-Lewin underlined he was an unreliable player for him this season when breaking down in pre-season training.

I'd say we've easily lost 8-10 points with that indecision.
You're vile sometimes you know mate.

Your profile should be strongly branded with yellow 'toxic' stickers for all to see, as a reminder.

You filthy whore.

Status
Not open for further replies.