2022/23 Frank Lampard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reality check. We make individual errors like that in midfield we don’t have any recovery pace to get us out of jail. Our wide forwards are low quality. Next two fixtures look a tough task.
And then Frank's point total to date starts to look iffy. That's always been the issue: he has to get to the November World Cup break in decent nick. I see enough hopeful signs in what we've seen to date, but I refuse to just write off, say, Spurs and Newcastle as "expected defeats". There are points to be won in those matches.

I think we lose the next two also and the manoeuvrings against him will begin again.

That's BS, as any reasonable person knows. My biggest gripe with him is the way he accepted that the forward situation was sorted with Dominic Calvert-Lewin and Maupay going into this season. He should have been a lot more switched on about their limitations and demanded another striker be brought in.

That decision has cost us about 6/8 points....so far.
Wrong thread mate. Please post your gripes with lack of squad depth in either the Kevin Thelwell or board threads.

Your agenda stinks.

And then Frank's point total to date starts to look iffy. That's always been the issue: he has to get to the November World Cup break in decent nick. I see enough hopeful signs in what we've seen to date, but I refuse to just write off, say, Spurs and Newcastle as "expected defeats". There are points to be won in those matches.

Sounds a bit odd after tonight but if they set up in those games as we did tonight we will get 2-3 pts. I refuse to believe the players will make so many mistakes again in those games.

Be hoping we can take 2 points from the next 2, before a better run.

Be hoping we can take 2 points from the next 2, before a better run.
Yes, I think at least two points is doable. If we lose to Spurs, we can still beat Newcastle. Some people seem to want to write off these two AND tell us all to keep the faith or whatever with Lampard. Nah, he's here to do a job. In my view, he's making a decent fist of it so far. Those that seem to want to protect him seem to be underestimating him a tad. We should be expecting points in the next two from Frank. I'm sure he's expecting them himself.

High press is the perfect way to play against UTD or any superior team. Against Liverpool was a good example of how it should be done, but we didn’t press as a team today.

Our ball recoveries were mainly deep in our half because we sat too deep. counter attack is extremely difficult from deep. We end up playing from the back way more than we should and it lead to needless meaningless passing which result in higher chance of losing the ball.

I don’t see much problem with high press.
I'd love us to but they have Casemiro (granted, he lost the ball for our goal) and Martinez. Both are ball players who can break presses.

I do think we shouldn't be letting De Gea play it short though, especially when Martial was on. He ain't good with his feet and they ain't big up top so we should be winning first balls.

I don't think we should be sitting in full stop but there is a place and time to press. Which is why pressing triggers exist.

Thats a different game with a match fit Calvert-Lewin, and I think we're really gonna benefit if we see that.

As is my point.

A back four of Myko, Coleman and martialed by Coady and Tarkowski suits dropping a bit deeper. The Forest goal is the only one I can think of where we got done while in our shape and that was a pot shot and a rebound.

I'd love us to play like Klopps Liverpool team, I think it would really suit us as a fanbase but it just ain't possible at this stage. Especially without Dom as an out. Maupay offered nothing this game. Which ain't a slight on him.

There was no out ball at all you're right. That came from Maupay having no presence and the two full backs not being interested in having it either. Consequently you look up in midfield and your options are limited.

Being compact is fine. We just didn't win it back enough and have our own spells of possession. Stats like having 5% of the ball in the last 5 minutes just shouldn't be happening.

Individual mistakes, nothing more than that, we were still in the fight to the very end which shows heads didn’t drop after going 2-1 down
Thing is I don’t see it that way.. I look at those mistakes as symptomatic of a bigger issue - the lack of intent I speak of. When players decide to do nothing but defend a lead (we’re not even talking counter attacking football here), but literally just play to keep the ball out.. mistakes happen when in possession. Why? Because players aren’t breaking out to create outlets. Then players lose confidence in keeping possession as everyone has become static and they are continually under pressure themselves.. that’s when individual mistakes happen a lot more frequently .

Opposition can see the team have backed off and can commit more and more players forward, meaning any mistake all of a sudden has the opposition in droves around your goal area…

I don’t know if I’ve ever taken the time to explain why I hate negative football but this is why.. it rarely works and requires loads of luck to pull off for 90 minutes.

There was no out ball at all you're right. That came from Maupay having no presence and the two full backs not being interested in having it either. Consequently you look up in midfield and your options are limited.

Being compact is fine. We just didn't win it back enough and have our own spells of possession. Stats like having 5% of the ball in the last 5 minutes just shouldn't be happening.
It shouldn't be happening against teams our level. They can throw 200m a transfer window at their team. We can't match that.

Status
Not open for further replies.