2022/23 Frank Lampard

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think Lampard had that weakness that top class players often have as coaches. He couldn't understand how much worse the players he coached were, in comparison with himself in his playing days. I believe a similar thing happened with Alan Ball at Portsmouth. They tend to the expect players to be able to play at a much higher level than they are actually capable of.

Lovely fella but if he took charge of this match we would have been slaughtered. Our midfield organization was far, far better and our pressing was night and day from when he took charge. If Dyche keeps it up he will have to do a bit of soul-searching as to how he got it all so horribly wrong.

I think Lampard had that weakness that top class players often have as coaches. He couldn't understand how much worse the players he coached were, in comparison with himself in his playing days. I believe a similar thing happened with Alan Ball at Portsmouth. They tend to the expect players to be able to play at a much higher level than they are actually capable of.

Happened with Roy Keane at Sunderland and to a certain extent Gerard at Villa.

Happened with Roy Keane at Sunderland and to a certain extent Gerard at Villa.

Hello yes Ronald Koeman would like to be added to this list please

Also recall a story about Frank de Boer, who lasted a record short term at Palace, who stepped in a training session on set pieces and spent it leathering the ball up in the diagonal to show them how good he was

Frank was too nice - the reason he got sacked when he did was purely on his 12 month 5 million a year contract ......for the sake of paying out another 5 million say after the two defeats at Bournemouth - that's what happens when an accountant like Moshiri is in charge at the top - no football brain if another Manager like Dyke had settled in then - we might be now mid table finishing higher gaining far more than the extra 5 million extra pay off .....
Plus no concerns from our loyal fans ......or unrest -
The difference today showed the difference an experienced Manager could have achieved in the World cup break etc .....

Like many others I'd have loved Lampard to be long term but he really was out of his depth as most of us could see.

For a world class blue chip player he simply could not read a game from the touchline.

We'd have been torn to shreds on Saturday with him in charge, Saturday in my view was no fluke, no new manager bounce or anything else, it was simply brilliant planning by a boss who knows the game.
Just Lampard continuing to use wingbacks was a mistake, Myko in particular is no Digne going forward as anyone but Lampard could see.
Dyche saw this obviously and his introduction of Mcneil and Iwobi in new roles just took the pressure off the defense straight away.
Lampard also couldn't cope with the likes of Wolves, Brentford, Villa etc being able to simply bypass our midfield at will. In a split second teams would break from their own area and it's be in our net 4 seconds later.

Saturday was a game against the Champions elect, they've ripped everyone apart this season and I feared for us.

Dyche simply had our 2 lines of 4 stay close to each other and move together like an army almost, Arsenal could not find that break through with that sea of bodies on their case every time they tried, just simple closing down that Lampard failed to do. It reduced Arsenal to taking 30 yard pot shots.

Doucoure in their box instead of ours was another masterstroke and Dyche's doing.

Only thing that does baffle me is our corner taking. Corners have been a waste of time for us this season, yet every one on Saturday was a peach, surely that can't be down to Dyche too lol

As a few of us kept saying, this squad is far from dire, just needed using correctly.
Long may it continue.

Status
Not open for further replies.