2021/22 Frank Lampard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Really.
Clough scored all his goals in the old second division
and Ferguson was a yard dog in Scotland leagues
They still had decent professional football careers. It's not as if they brought the oranges to games like Mourinho. I missed out Cruyff as well.

In terms of the current top 8 managers in world football at least half of them were excellent professional footballers. Pep, Conte, Mancini and Simeone. So to claim excellent professional footballers are unable to become quality managers is utter nonsense.

Will you be saying that when they all down tools and get us relegated, calling the players out in public never ends well
He will speak privately with all the playes id imagine. And certain players will know he isn’t taking about them.

That might be end of Kenny, Gomes, one of Keane & Holgate. Mina hopefully back soon.

Some players back from injury like DCL & Gray will probably get a pass that they don’t deserve. I think Lampard will definitely make sure the players he needs will be on side

I like him. Hope we stick with him no matter what happens.

I think he's the first manager to question the players' mentality and fight. I am sympathetic to players' confidence (e.g. maybe younger players, and some more experienced who need an 'arm around their shoulder' to perform) but if it's a basic problem of not fighting hard enough or not running enough - basic fitness and physical issues, then i'm happy to question them. I think after Martinez, who was possibly just 100% nice to his team and maybe not critical enough, Koeman who seemed apathetic, the rest of them were just not deep into player management it seemed. I think Lampard will be, if he's given time. I think the only reason he might leave is if the backroom, behind the scenes, players management, boardroom - all that top to bottom change we are looking for - does not change. Otherwise he might see this is an amazing opportunity to show what he's made of as a manager.

Back 5 is a disaster, always has been. Lampard needs to wake up
He had only available midfielders, which seems to be the same every game.
And when one is gomes, then you’re in trouble and Doucoure also has been crap for ages,
Though he’s never been a great footballer.
I doubt he survives long term under Frank.

Following your logic from the Benitez period, the first and easiest thing to solve is no longer the manager, therefore we have to focus attention on what can lead to the most improvement in performance and in my eyes that is now firmly the attitude of the players. They’ve shown they can perform when they want to and execute Lampard’s tactics, so rather than us get into the same old habit of going ‘yeah the players are rubbish but the manager really needs to be playing x formation, x player, set them up to defend or attack’, I’d rather us be saying ‘the players really need to turn up today’. If the tactics or subs are wrong after that then fine, but if we saw the levels we saw agaisnt Leeds, City, and the second half of the Newcastle game, then there’s an opportunity for the right tactics to work.

If the players aren’t in the right frame of mind to do the basics of football, then Lampard’s tactics are irrelevant, we’ll lose every single game until they decide they’re interested in fighting for this club.

Under Benitez we had the excuse that he’d shorn them of their confidence, negative tactics etc. What’s the excuse under Lampard? He’s done everything to get them in a positive mood, having them press on the front foot, keep the ball but get it forward. He’s done nothing but shield the players until now and they’ve still just downed tools on multiple occasions when it’s suited them.

So yeah I get your principle mate, I’m sure there’s a lot of things Lampard could do better, at the moment I just see zero point in focusing on them because until we have players interested in playing football for Everton then his performance is largely irrelevant.
Benitez was 100% the wrong pick and is a huge reason why we are in this mess and I believe getting rid of him sooner would have meant we weren't as bad as we are. However, I always acknowledged the players are to blame too. They are so inconsistent and mentally fragile but ultimately it is any manager's job to fix that.

Now, we all know to do that properly they need punting and that will happen in the summer. But what Lampard - or any manager - could do in the meantime is stop giving them chances.

Away from home, we know Coleman doesn't work. We know JJK shouldn't play LWB. We know that really we can't play a back three and that Gray and Gordon don't work together in the same team. We know all of this and so should he.

So while I do back him, he is ultimately the only one who has control over what players play, and if the ones who keep letting him and us down keep playing then he is the one who has made that decision.

Frank Lampards last press conference at chelsea:

""“Well to be fair, I think their (the players’) confidence would be shot if they were to read some of your pieces that you write at the minute, because some of the confirmation bias that you reflect on games with, it’s like social media pundits to try to get a reaction in a negative way.”

Ahem, how times change ehj.

and

""here are players that are not playing as well as there should be. Simple fact. I know that when your form is not good, there are reasons why, but there are things you can deal with""

Now, we all know to do that properly they need punting and that will happen in the summer.
I wouldn't be too sure of that for two reasons.

1. We've struggled to rid ourselves of these players for years - nobody seems to want to sink so low as to take them from us
2. If we somehow survive, many will see it as redemption because actually ridding ourselves of these useless cowards requires our board to do some actual work and, in all likelihood, take a financial hit.

Finally, many of our fans will be telling us that X or Y "loves the club", "needs time to get over that bad injury", or is an "athlete".

These players have been abysmal for a number of years now, but Seamus is not only still playing, he's the captain.

Club needs a massive reset. Relegation will most certainly give us that. And far worse.

I wouldn't be too sure of that for two reasons.

1. We've struggled to rid ourselves of these players for years - nobody seems to want to sink so low as to take them from us
2. If we somehow survive, many will see it as redemption because actually ridding ourselves of these useless cowards requires our board to do some actual work and, in all likelihood, take a financial hit.

Finally, many of our fans will be telling us that X or Y "loves the club", "needs time to get over that bad injury", or is an "athlete".

These players have been abysmal for a number of years now, but Seamus is not only still playing, he's the captain.

Club needs a massive reset. Relegation will most certainly give us that. And far worse.
I think the club will cut ties/losses and shift what they can if we stay up. But aye, it's a grim situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.