Florida Cup 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't get the negativity towards Broadhead, he worked hard , won a penalty and forced the keeper into a good save from limited chances.

Kean in the first half had a better chance from a cross and put it over

Yeah thought he had a good game, myself. Obviously it's completely different doing it against decent opposition in a serious game.

It's funny though, despite the fact I've liked the look of him every time I've seen him. He's 23. If it's not now for him at Everton it's never.

If Everton haven't literally watched every interview and seen every fan say

"Tim Howard and Landon Donovan", and realise that they wasted literally 10 years not visiting America, and had a lightbulb moment, that we've still got a big fan base in the US, and aren't already planning further trips (plus S.America - if we keep James), then I truly give up.

"Tim Howard and Landon Donovan", and realise that they wasted literally 10 years not visiting America, and had a lightbulb moment, that we've still got a big fan base in the US, and aren't already planning further trips (plus S.America - if we keep James), then I truly give up.
Was thinking this myself.
We briefly had McBride as well and Inchy did ok as a manager out there although I’ve no idea if our American fans associate Inchy with us ?

The pics of the fans out and about looked really good and I’d love us to make the most of it.
James is just massive.
Not giving him the number 10 last season was ridiculous as it’s his brand.
Let’s hope we get another season out of him, and as it stands, he should get that number this time.

You get the same feeling with Gordon that he wont ever be good enough to be a top half PL player.

The last half decent player we had come through the ranks is Barkley and even he has stagnated over the years.

The thing Gordon has on his side is time, he is 3 years younger than Broadhead (who has come on a lot physically over those 3 years).

I probably echo what others have said though, in that I am surprised no championship team have had a look at him on a permanent. I'm sure we wouldn't ask a huge fee, but he was very good for the 23's last season, far better than Ellis Simms who lit up League 1. I know you cant always look at it that way, but Broadhead looks like he has the intelligence to lead the line quite well.

Was thinking this myself.
We briefly had McBride as well and Inchy did ok as a manager out there although I’ve no idea if our American fans associate Inchy with us ?

The pics of the fans out and about looked really good and I’d love us to make the most of it.
James is just massive.
Not giving him the number 10 last season was ridiculous as it’s his brand.
Let’s hope we get another season out of him, and as it stands, he should get that number this time.
I'm sure that's already taken - let me just check

Gulp....

….I’ve seen him score plenty of one-on-one at U23 level, including dink over the keeper.

I think it is just aligned to being a good finisher & I believe Broadhead is a decent finisher. I think the expression ‘natural finisher’ is often used, Broadhead is perhaps more in that category than DCL.

Those players have a picture in their mind of where they are in relation to the posts and they’ll assume the keepers position. They drop down a level and are composed.

One-on-Ones are a little different, you have time to think and can see whats in front of you. Sliding down the side of the keeper is so much easier in youth football but as you get through higher ranks that gets more difficult and it’s about side footing as keeper is getting set (Rush was brilliant at it).

DCL might get better but I think he’ll always be in the category you ‘hope he scores’ rather than ‘expecting him to score’. The thing is with athletes like him, is he’s capable of scoring goals others can’t because if his sheer physicality.

Broadhead has always been quite a natural finisher, all the way back to the under 18's days when he scored a lot of goals. It's a calmness in front of goal not to snatch at things. Almost like you are in a zone, rather than overthinking what to do.

I don't think Calvert Lewin will ever really get that, but he sort of has everything other than that. Broadhead doesn't have an enormous amount of other attributes, but every time he has played in pre-seasons he has generally done quite well.

We played in the States in 2013, with Tim Howard. I was fortunate to be on holiday there so I got to watch us get beat in LA by Real Madrid.
Whilst we had a fair bit of support it was nothing like last nights.

We played in the States in 2013, with Tim Howard. I was fortunate to be on holiday there so I got to watch us get beat in LA by Real Madrid.
Whilst we had a fair bit of support it was nothing like last nights.

No, but you’ve got to draw your fanbase.

We had Tim Howard on our books for 10 years. When his stock was up (appearing in the US post etc), following the World Cup, we needed to milk that… instead we were off swanning round Kenya and Tanzania.

We’re slowly getting it right now, but we need to tap the market massively.

Observations from the (limited) highlights package/posts on here:

- Horrible goal to concede but in mitigation it looked like one of those crap corners that wouldn't ordinarily beat the first man. They got a jammy flick in and it ended up in the net. Rustiness rather than anything to worry about in the way we set up.

- We're boss at pens

- Sliding Doors moment for Broadhead? I feel like if he finished after that great little nick, turn and run we'd all have been buzzing about him. As someone earlier said he's at a make or break age re his Everton future. Good pace, in that moment he read the game nicely and his direct running was excellent. Just had too much time to think about what to do. Hope his head doesn't drop; he may not make it here anyway but if he has ANY chance at all we need to see more of the first bit and less of the second.

- @UptheTofees looks dazzling in an Everton shirt. I'll probably burn all mine, now.

Status
Not open for further replies.