First Everton Goal of Your Life

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks Steve , I thought I was losing my marbles.
I remember at the same time. Colin Green was a left back and marked Stanley Matthews in 2 games, he clattered Matthews in both games, Green was
only about 18, at that time ( 59/60) and Matthews was a national treasure only really playing for show and a few games a season. I can remember a bit
of bad feeling between the clubs.

I remember at the same time. Colin Green was a left back and marked Stanley Matthews in 2 games, he clattered Matthews in both games, Green was
only about 18, at that time ( 59/60) and Matthews was a national treasure only really playing for show and a few games a season. I can remember a bit
of bad feeling between the clubs.

Maybe it was Green I saw, but whoever it was Matthews gave him the runaround. Sir Stan had gone back to Stoke at the end of his Blackpool career and played for a long time after that. He was just on 50, I think when he played his last game. He was a rum one was Stan. Brilliant ball player,used to mesmerize full backs,but I think today full backs are quicker and he'd be nailed. Abiding memory of him,however, is not the Bolton Cup Final, but of him standing outside Wembley before kick off selling tickets to all his mates, and anyone else. Of course footballers only earned £20 a week in those days !!:);)

Edward Thomas, Everton 2 Portsmouth 1. Sat 13th Dec 1958, four days after I was born. Never heard of him btw.

Who hasn't heard of Eddie Thomas !! Big broad shouldered lad. For some reason can only picture him in a white shirt?

In all honesty I hadn't heard of him either, but 41 goals in 93 appearances suggests he was none too shabby. ;)

Depends on how you define "life" - if you count the foetus era, then the first of Cottee's debut hat trick v Newcastle would be it. However, the first goal after I was born was whoever scored first vs Charlton on 10 April 1989.

The score was 3-2.... anyone?.... Bueller? Bueller?....

You can find out here-

Mine was from Derek Mayers in a 2-1 win over Sunderland on 22nd Sept 1956. I have to admit to never having heard of Derek Mayers, but he was a local Liverpool lad who scored 7 goals in 18 appearances for the Toffees between 1952-57. Derek died on 15.04.16 aged 81.

View attachment 55988
Derek played with Alec Farrell and might have made his debut with him, I recall a 3-0 win versus Bury, a midweek night game, when Derek scored two of the goals, they both went to PNE, Derek might have got an international game, not a full cap, while with Preston, Alec Farrell’s career was ruined with Everton and PNE, it was rumoured that Matt Busby wanted him for Man. Unt. When Farrell was young teenager.

Status
Not open for further replies.