FFP RIP?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If it’s more financial freedom for everybody, then this could be good news. I think at the very least we will have made a good impression on players with our results this season (unless it goes horribly downhill in the final 3rd).

We have beaten a lot of top teams, may yet (doubtful but possible) still finish top 4 and will likely finish just outside. Will likely have Europe regardless, and we should have more leverage with Carlo at the helm. Hopefully UEFA doesn’t screw us here.
If Usmonov is really lurking and would come in if FFP was punted, leaves pretty much Us, City and Chelsea with proper spending power in England and a handfull of clubs around Europe with decent spending power, everyone else is knackered. They are not going to stop spending by clubs that can afford to spend. We sign harry Kane spurs need to replace him so sign maybe Zaha, Palace need to replace him so look at bottom 5 or championship and so the money goes down the leagues. If Uzzy comes along and says Everton have 500 million to spend in the summer window, we'll be let spend 500 million.. if they curtail spending then clubs will go bankrupt and be gone forever.

Overall, it's good news, but don't be surprised to see the likes of Villa and Wolves blert their cash absolutely everywhere as well. I hate Villa and wish they'd stayed in the lower leagues. They are guaranteed to punch us in the knackers at some point, you watch!
I’ll never begrudge other clubs any success. What I absolutely can’t stand though, is the version of ffp as it currently stands, which makes it near impossible for anyone outside the sky 6 to break into it. Unless they’re really lucky and strike gold with some really clever recruitment.

And even then you’ve got the likes of Man U, doing next to nothing year after year since Fergie left and still allowed to spend obscene amounts of money every window because of their Sponsorship income.

“Fair play” my arse.

I’ll never begrudge other clubs any success. What I absolutely can’t stand though, is the version of ffp as it currently stands, which makes it near impossible for anyone outside the sky 6 to break into it. Unless they’re really lucky and strike gold with some really clever recruitment.

And even then you’ve got the likes of Man U, doing next to nothing year after year since Fergie left and still allowed to spend obscene amounts of money every window because of their Sponsorship income.

“Fair play” my arse.
You'd think with the levels of debt United have they should be the ones who have to stop spending not us or City with no debt.

What colour?
codered-bottle-min.png

As myself and @catcherintherye said this was always on the cards
A lot of clubs around Europe are financially knackered and in danger of going to the wall
UEFA hoping that those who have cash will spend big and it will drop feed down through the leagues
Covid as has been said was the final nail in the coffin of FFP

Yes you did.

I wrote this either just before or around the time of the court findings

It goes into a lot of details., people are obviously free to have a red.

In general I would say that there are the following challenges for FFP
1) It does not comply with European legal standards.
While some have tried to say it was a technicality (which is largely based on conjecture and not it's not true) but even if it were, the big normative take out is that FFP failed at the sovereign European court. Everyone knows that now. It's abit like if they said it was no longer illegal ro steal a mercedes car, and you steal a mercedes car, what are you going to do if they arrest you? You'll just take them to court knowing the law is established and the principle is set.

2) There are emerging giants who now don't like it. Clicks, views,merchandising are now increasingly pushed by PSG and City. They are slowly becoming 2 of the top 4 or 5 clubs in Europe now. There voices will be heard far more.

3) In essence, when you strip it back, it is inflation busting legislation.It kind of made sense at that point. Prices still rose dramatically, but there was some sense in it. However, with cash being sucked out of the game, the last thing you want to do now, is restrict the flow of cash into the game further. For thoseinterested, it's akin to the Feds mistake in 1929 of refusing to move from Gold backing up the currency. It's a solution to a problem that no longer exists.

They seem the big 3 factors. I think you can throw in, it's a bit of a FU to some of the established teams who've threatened x,y & z if the legislation goes. Well it's just gone so what are you going to do now? I wonder for the American owners, who bave been most vocal and said there is only any point in competing, and indeed maintaining spending if not only FFP is maintained but a more regulated system is introduced what it does for them.
~
Best case scenario (for supports of those clubs) is it was a bluff and they kee their interest level, but know they can't financially compete with the high level investors in football. Worst case scenario they meant it and they lose interest and really seek to shift to being more passive investors, essentially looking to spend as little as possible, draw out as much as possible with merely maintaining a position (by that I mean in the league, not at the top of the league).

If Usmonov is really lurking and would come in if FFP was punted, leaves pretty much Us, City and Chelsea with proper spending power in England and a handfull of clubs around Europe with decent spending power, everyone else is knackered. They are not going to stop spending by clubs that can afford to spend. We sign harry Kane spurs need to replace him so sign maybe Zaha, Palace need to replace him so look at bottom 5 or championship and so the money goes down the leagues. If Uzzy comes along and says Everton have 500 million to spend in the summer window, we'll be let spend 500 million.. if they curtail spending then clubs will go bankrupt and be gone forever.

It's pretty much my reading too. Its worth stating its not just the wealth of an owner, but how much he's willing to put in (and also liquidity). Wolves and Villa have wealthy owners too, who have started spending big, but even Wolves have started slowing down, and to be honest even when they are successful now seem to have hit the Jorge Mendes ceiling of where developing his up coming players gets them.

I read as well that we are targetting Serie A as their clubs are skint, and you'd imagine that approach will also being utilised in France, or as you say with clubs who's owner don't want to/haven't got the cash to stump up for them.

I'd also say, the penny has probably dropped at UEFA. Even Juventus's owner had the begging bowl out recently. A lot of the "old order" clubs are really struggling and their needs to be some big fish.

You look at someone like Kane at Spurs, they have to pay off 200m come the summer. They will want to punt hom for £100m+ but with FFP nobody can pay it. You relax it, and suddenly a few teams will be interested again. Spurs get their pay off, and everyone wins.

I do wonder if the Koulibaly stuff, is sort of linked to this annuncement as well. Seems very well timed to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.