FC Sion.....who ? where ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reidy's Bottle Of Grecian

The Unobstructed View
having posted info about our next opponents that danny couldn't be arse approving i have now decide to post some facs about them that you probably didn't want to know about anyway.
WHO ?

FC Sion is a Swiss football team from the city of Sion. The club was founded in 1909.
They have won the Swiss Super League twice (in 1992 and 1997) and the Swiss Cup 10 times as many appearances in the final.
Their home ground is Stade Tourbillon, which has a capacity of 20,187.
a notable former player is non other than..........
Marc Hottiger (1992~1994, 1st Spell) & (1999~2002, 2nd Spell) also rated as not able at our place too.

WHERE ?

SionCountrySwitzerlandCantonValaisDistrictSion
18px-Erioll_world.svg.png
46°14′N, 7°22′EPopulation27,697 (December 2002) - Density1,082 /km² (2,802 /sq.mi.)Area25.6 km² (9.9 sq mi)Elevation500 m (1,640 ft)Postal code1950SFOS number6266MayorFrançois Mudry CVP/PDCSurrounded by
(view map)Ayent, Conthey, Grimisuat, Grône, Les Agettes, Nax, Nendaz, Saint-Léonard, Salins, Savièse, Vernamiège, VexTwin townsColón (Argentina), Philippi (United States)Websitewww.sion.ch

Grand-Pont, street in the town centre

Landmarks include the Basilique de Valère and Château de Tourbillon.
Sion has an airfield for civilian and military use, which, because of its location in a valley, causes a reasonable amount of noise pollution. flights only seem to go there during the ski season so it's a bit of a treck if you fancy going, local burglars will no doubt be hoping for a sell-out crowd as the stadium can hold almost the population of the place.
Sion is also host to the :
looks like any fans who travel can look forward to meeting saxophone playing, tightrope walking farmers over there.

and i doubt if there will be any snow as that pic is in winter.

thats all for now from REIDY'S WORLD / THE LONELY GANETT.
thanks to wiki once again and look forward to reidy once again giving you the lowdown come uefa cup time.

might go on a road trip with the boys i think, just been on the fc la combe website and the stadium is wonderous, bigger than the nou camp and probably cost about a tenner. lol

I love this. Our Gaffer is over in Switzerland supposedly checking out future talent and whilst he is there he sees a chance to sort out a friendly with one of their bigger clubs.

If anyone is having doubts about whether Moyes is going to sign a new contract then I think you can find your resolution there.

I am sure these things are not coincidence.

Moyes is here forever.

At the risk of sparking the random wrath of Ghost, just a note to say the venue has changed to the Stade d'Octodure de Martigny (not Martigni, as the OS reckons). Got an email into FC Sion to see if they can reserve tickets, as I suspect it's a fairly small ground. Ticket prices 20 Swiss Francs (place for chico-friendly shocked smiley). Anyone else planning to be there?

Last edited:
so where is martigny in relation to sion ?
The small town of Martigny located on the Rhone elbow in the Lower Valais is the hub of the pass routes across the Simplon, Great St. Bernard and Forclaz. Its cultural-historical heritage, Mediterranean flair and tasty gastronomy are its winning features.
Martigny, surrounded by vineyards and orchards, is famous for its gastronomy which is celebrated at many outstanding restaurants and guesthouses. Blessed with the warm Valais sunshine, the region is ideal for growing strawberries, apricots, grapes, asparaguses etc. And in the past famous figures, such as Rousseau, Goethe, Stendhal and Liszt, already succumbed to the delights of the region's culinary delights.

Martigny's history stretches back two thousand years: Celtic tribes, the Romans and Napoleon's troupes have left behind traces. A restored amphitheatre, Roman thermal baths, temples and living quarters can be admired in Martigny today. Later Martigny became the first bishop's seat in Switzerland and nowadays is admired for the historical districts of La Bâtiaz and Vieux-Bourg featuring several churches and secular buildings worth seeing.

The Pierre Gianadda Foundation (Fondation Pierre Gianadda) is the most important cultural attraction in Martigny and in addition to the Gallo-Roman Museum houses a car museum and every year two top exhibitions focussing on world-famous artists. The building was constructed around the remains of a former Roman temple.

The French holiday resort of Chamonix is accessible from Martigny in one-and-a-half hours travelling on the boldly constructed narrow-gauge tracks of the "Mont Blanc Express". The "Sankt Bernhard Express" takes passengers from Martigny to Orsières and from there by bus through impressive mountain countryside to the hospice on the Great St. Bernard. Thanks to Martigny's ideal transport connections the winter sports regions of "4 Vallées", "Portes-du-Soleil" and Ovronnaz are only a short journey away.
whats there.....

• Pierre Gianadda Foundation - Gallo-Roman Museum, Car Museum and temporary exhibitions featuring world-famous artists.
  • St. Bernard Dog Museum - breed and history of the dog but also of the Great St. Bernard Hospice. apparently this is the dogs bollocks
  • Trient Gorge - deep gorge cut into the rock with a 187-metre-high bridge made of prestressed concrete. And Durnand Gorge - this spectacular gorge south of Martigny is accessible by a one-kilometre-long path with a tunnel, steps, bridges and galleries.
  • Evionnaz Labyrinth - biggest labyrinth in the world with over 18'000 Thuya plants and featuring other attractions.
  • Le Châtelard & Emosson Reservoir - the steepest two-cabin funicular and a narrow-gauge railway provide transport to Le Châtelard and the Emosson Reservoir (23km away from Martigny).

apparently they have cowfighting:D
Reines_03.JPG

Top Events

Cow wrestling - the spectacular fights between the "Queens" of the Heren cattle breed (final round) take place in the Roman amphitheatre (beginning of October)
Reines_02.JPG

GETTING THERE.......

fly to geneva, easyjet go there from JLA, then get train direct to Martigny which takes 1hr 45mins and costs about £28 (not sure if one way or return).

*please note that as switzerland is not in the e.u. then you are allowed duty free but cant bring back 3,000,000 ciggies, not legally anyway.

i know this info is all probably useless as no-one will probably make the trip but its good practice for the uefa when i will post any relevant info once i have secured my own cheapo travel;)

flight with easyjet going friday returning monday, with just hand luggage costs £120, £10 cheaper on the thurs, £10 cheaper coming back tues, there is a campsite in martigny and the area is well known for its vino !!!
http://translate.google.co.uk/translate?hl=en&sl=de&u=http://www.tiscover.ch/ch/guide/5ch,de,SCH1/objectId,CPS12592ch,season,at1/home.html&sa=X&oi=translate&resnum=3&ct=result&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dcamping%2Bmartigny%26hl%3Den%26safe%3Doff
campsite looks pretty good actually.

reidy......crowd, chanting and travel coordinator.

Last edited:
I'm going to be all on my own then?

is mrs atrottel not going with you ?
i reckon we should be getting some sort of funding from the club if we decide to make the effort (match tickets at least, that wouldnt exactly break the bank or eat into the transfer budget), thats the way the clubs in greece do it , to ensure they have away support.
danny.......have a word, we can use the hi-vis banner as a tent !!!

you never know this may be a game where we would see the lesser spotted vdm, now that would let him know if we all barracked him throughout a friendly in switzerland, he'd head out on a bender, bill would haul him over the coals, even if he only fined him a couple of weeks pay it would be enough to fund uefa away travel for us all, if it gave him the opportunity to sack him then well...........mines a paddock season ticket thanks bill;) 1/2 way line of course, for me and the kids.

reidy....crowd, chanting, travel, accomodation and constructive dismissal co-ordinator.

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.