FA CUP 3rd ROUND DRAW

Status
Not open for further replies.
It wasn't the only reason, though.

Generally, we weren't playing as well then as we are now. Rotation is simply a crucial part of the game and people need to get over the thought that we should have a 'first XI'.

The squad should have been good enough to win that game. End of.

Whoever we get in the FA Cup, the team will likely not be the same as what started the game before, because it will be our 5th game in the space of - I believe - 14 or 15 days. That doesn't, and shouldn't, mean the team has to be weaker. Every member of the squad should be ready to play and that's the point of having a strong squad.

Fully agree with what you’re saying, and I think the squad is far healthier now. The fact is though that against Southampton we were early in the season but we still left our best player at the time ok the bench and lost at home to a team we’d expect to brush aside now. I just think considering our trophy drought we should be treating all the rounds of the FA cup with the same level of importance as the league. There’s no reason why we can’t put a strong team out every game. If we get drawn away in the cup to a prem team and start putting out the likes of Dowell Niasse Jagielka etc. then we have to realise that we are asking for trouble.

City away nailed on. If we can spawn a draw then win the replay (or did they do away with replays now?), RS away fourth round to finish us off.

We could rest a centre back and bring in the one who hasn't been playing that doesn't really weaken the team. Rest 3 of Sigurdsson, Richarlison, Bernard and Walcott our front 4 would still DCL, Tosun, Lookman and whoever we didn't rest. They should be good enough to see off anyone but the really top teams. McCarthy for Gueye and Baines for Digne both downgrades but shouldn't be in the squad if they are that far from the pace. What I don't want is the young lads playing as they will get slaughtered if it goes wrong. My team providing everyone is available would be something like this.

Pickford
Coleman Keane/Mina Zouma Baines
McCarthy Gomes
Calvert-Lewin Bernard Lookman
Tosun

9 international players and 2 u21 if they can't see off most teams in the cup 3rd draw we need to be looking at a lot of our squad players. I would be using the back ups in some league games over the period anyways so they should know the system.

It wasn't the only reason, though.

Generally, we weren't playing as well then as we are now. Rotation is simply a crucial part of the game and people need to get over the thought that we should have a 'first XI'.

The squad should have been good enough to win that game. End of.

Whoever we get in the FA Cup, the team will likely not be the same as what started the game before, because it will be our 5th game in the space of - I believe - 14 or 15 days. That doesn't, and shouldn't, mean the team has to be weaker. Every member of the squad should be ready to play and that's the point of having a strong squad.

Fair enough but what about Stekelenburg starting? That can’t be considered part of the rotation process, it’s just unnecessary and puts us at an immediate disadvantage. I don’t want to see him starting another game ever for us unless Pickford and Virginia’s legs have fallen off.

Status
Not open for further replies.