Expectations - what can we achieve by May 2020?

What can a new manager realistically achieve by May?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m hearing the champions league anthem in my head every time I watch Fegrusons Everton stuff Chelsea. Onwards and upwards blues.
That is more like it! I always expect Everton to win. Deluded perhaps but Dunc expected same last weekend, so did the crowd then so did the team. Football has complicated itself with psuedo science. A highly motivated team of good players can go a long way.

If they they do not have the ball then a ferocious determination to get it back is most of the battle. For me our last win was how the game should be played...as Peter Reid did.

8th or 9th strong possibility

relegation - should never be mentioned in the same sentence which includes Everton

In my view could catch 5 teams above us Sheff United , Palace , Brighton , Newcastle , Burnley - Wolves is a possibility especially with the Europa games , normally this has a negative effect on the league results

The teams below should remain that way , West Ham and Villa have decent squads with Villa playing better than expected and West Ham not

We are such a fickle bunch.

Look back at the transfer thread and largely people thought Brands was a genius, moving on hopeless players, buying in some quality - now he is a hapless DoF and he has bought in rubbish. He is neither the Messiah nor a very naughty boy, he's just doing his job, almost certainly in spite of interference from Bill/Mosh axis.

The squad we have is good and should be competing at the top end of the table. I'm fairly sure he did not choose Silva as manager either.

As to where we will finish, stay up, win League Cup, turn up at (and beat) the RS in at least one match. I want to see the effort of Saturday replicated in most games, with a tad more football and the final nail in the coffin of pointless sideways passing at the back. Not a lot to ask really is it? I know it is lacking ambition, but it could be realistic.

Over the course of a full season, an average of 1.5 points per game will get you competing for a Europa League spot.

With 22 games to go, that'll give us 33 more points and 50 points in total. That would put us 11th in last season's table.

I'd be happy with 33 more points but disappointed with 11th. I want top 8 even from the postion we're in now.

There's too much emphasis on positions. I couldn't care less where we finish as long it's above the relegation zone. Our priority should be about building a team for the future, not short term fixations.

I think I understand what you're saying, so correct me if I'm wrong: 'what's exciting about finishing 10th, 16th, 7th or whatever.' However, the fact that they are not good positions is precisely the reason why we should care even more about where we finish. Being disinterested will never see anybody improve at anything. Many rival fans mocked the team across the park for their elusive quest to win a league title, a mammoth, what is it? 30 odd years, but they have never wavered from trying to achieve it. Even when they have failed (and they have sometimes spectacularly and disastrously) they just tried harder and harder. Relentlessly, they celebrated the bits of success they could get and looked to build on that success by using it as validation that their project could go on and achieve even more. Afterall It's easier to convince better people to join your cause if it looks like you are moving forward, to get more investors etc etc.

Where we finish is the best way to judge the team we have and for the players to judge how good they are relative to others, and whether the good ones will want to stay here. Imagine you are a typical player, why would you join or want to stay at Everton over say, Sheffield United? I'd like to believe that when I met the Everton manager that they convinced me about how ambitious the club is and how it set and intended to achieve important targets. I'd like to be able to look at the current team and see players driving others on to become even better players, always looking to improve. I wouldn't want to join a team that just muddled its way through and if we win the game, good, but if we draw or lose, well, that's ok too. Even this season I would want to know what we are trying to achieve and understand how we can take all of that into next season's campaign to do even better. There is no magic wand to fix things, that will make everything suddenly become rosy. A castle must be built brick upon brick. It's why we should all set ambitious goals and try harder to push and demand more and more to win.

We are such a fickle bunch.

Look back at the transfer thread and largely people thought Brands was a genius, moving on hopeless players, buying in some quality - now he is a hapless DoF and he has bought in rubbish. He is neither the Messiah nor a very naughty boy, he's just doing his job, almost certainly in spite of interference from Bill/Mosh axis.

The squad we have is good and should be competing at the top end of the table. I'm fairly sure he did not choose Silva as manager either.

As to where we will finish, stay up, win League Cup, turn up at (and beat) the RS in at least one match. I want to see the effort of Saturday replicated in most games, with a tad more football and the final nail in the coffin of pointless sideways passing at the back. Not a lot to ask really is it? I know it is lacking ambition, but it could be realistic.
Of course he didn't choose Silva, Marco was appointed in May, Brands didn't come to the club until June

I think I understand what you're saying, so correct me if I'm wrong: 'what's exciting about finishing 10th, 16th, 7th or whatever.'

No you don't understand. The emphasis is on building a side not on metrics where you finish. In fact that particular metric is meaningless as teams can strengthen or weaken the following season.

Status
Not open for further replies.