Ex player series Alan Whittle

Status
Not open for further replies.

stanleypark

Player Valuation: £1m
He was before my time but did he get the credit he deserves? His goals in the 1970 league run in must have been invaluable.

What about the rest of his Everton career? Was he comparable to the likes of Campbell or Jelavic in that he had a purple patch then didn't quite do it afterwards?

What player was similar to him in recent times? Did the Evertonians have a song for him?

I only saw him for Everton once, he got sent off (at Selhurst). I was surprised we were able to sign a player of his quality. My view at the time was that he was seen as a replacement for Alan Ball but wasn't quite of that calibre. ( who was?)
Was very popular at Palace, a grafter, a low centre of gravity who was almost impossible to knock off the ball. Scored on his debut- a 5-0 demolition of Man Utd which saw Frank O'Farrell sacked.
I did scream murders at him once for missing an open goal (a really open goal) in stoppage time at Aldershot but he was part of our FA Cup run to the semis under Big Mal in 76 including scoring the winner at Roker Park in the QF.
Probably an Everton legend ? ( not for me to say). Definitely a Palace hero.

.....it was almost a cameo Everton career as far as I recall, right player at the right time to see us over the line in 1970. Trebilcock's 66 cameo was shorter but also won us a major trophy. Whittle was a 'busy', bright and pacey sort with an eye for a goal. I particularly remember the floaty chip he scored at Anfield.

I think he scored 11 vital goals on that run in but never really hit the heights after that although there was reported shenanigans off the pitch.

Replaced Jimmy Husband in the title run in &, obviously, did well. Dropped in the last match when J H regained fitness which suggests Catterick's opinion of him.

v. Liverpool the following season in the F A Cup semi final, he probably cost us a 2 - 0 lead when he chose to shoot from an improbable angle on the run rather to pass to the unmarked Ball in the middle. For me, that summed him up ... lacked good decision making.

I don't recall anyone being unhappy when he left.

.....it was almost a cameo Everton career as far as I recall, right player at the right time to see us over the line in 1970. Trebilcock's 66 cameo was shorter but also won us a major trophy. Whittle was a 'busy', bright and pacey sort with an eye for a goal. I particularly remember the floaty chip he scored at Anfield.

I think he scored 11 vital goals on that run in but never really hit the heights after that although there was reported shenanigans off the pitch.
A certain girls school in West Derby was mentioned by ITK's at the time.

The Hustler. Blonde curly locks. #12 most of the time but always looked the part. Plenty of energy and did very well until niggling injuries kept him from regular consistency. Played on some great teams. One of my favorites.

Im too young to have seen him play but what I have heard about him reminds me of Wayne Clark and his contribution to the 87 title winning team. Not a great player but he was vital on that run in

I believe Catterick likened him to the great Denis Law,unfortunately after his great early promise he seemed to fizzle out.
I seem to recall that too.
He was something of a firebrand, when his fuse was lit, it never smouldered, went straight to explosion.
Invaluable in that 69/70 run-in, but failed to secure a first team place basically because the squad even though it under-achieved in 70/71 was too strong and he wasn't quite good enough.

I remember him scoring v WBA when we won the title, think the team itself was so good no one other than Ball got the 'superstar' adulation, though there were plenty to earn it

Status
Not open for further replies.