Everton Youth Teams Thread

Physically yes, Small was much more built out and athletic. Small also had an easier role to break in with being basically a flying wing back but had all the tools to physically do it, I'm not sure ISS is physically at that level to be playing U21s yet.
Indeed. There is so much in training we don’t see and how they are developing him physically, so it was nice to see the encouragement and “touch” training he was doing with the first team. Like Small, Samuels-Smith is a young u18 with his 17 birthday not until June , when the next worry of if he’ll sign a pro contract occurs.

Last edited:
We don't have an U16's team anymore?
Samuels -Smith is not an u 16 , he‘s too old to play for them. Domestically, it’s the 1st September that determines which year you play in, so ISS was over 16 on 1 st September. All our first year Scholars have to be at least 16 on first September. It links in with the school year.

For international games it’s 1st January , so ISS can play for England u17s this season and into 2023 as he will only be 16 on 1st Jan.
A quirk of the system that sometimes throws up anomalies eg. Welch played in the same England team as Dobbin and Onyango despite being in a younger Scholar year as his birthday is September.

Indeed. There is so much in training we don’t see and how they are developing him physically, so it was nice to see the encouragement and “touch” training he was doing with the first team. Lime Small, Samuels-Smith is a young u18 with his 17 birthday not until June , when the next worry of if he’ll sign a pro contract occurs.
I imagine there's going to be a significant amount of woo'ing going on this season from us given how close he came to leaving this summer and is part of why he needs to be rushed to 21s sooner than later and probably factors into him being in training now. Think the World Cup friendlies in australia are a great opportunity for him/us especially if Coady retains his england place. Then the FA Cup 3rd round - like small - might be a senior debut depending on the draw.

ISS expectations need to be tempered, he's miles away from being a regular first team in the football league never mind here, just now.

Physically, as has been touched on already, he's not going to make it as a centre half unless he grows considerably whilst he's not technically good enough to be a full back in the modern game. At the moment his best position is clearly on the left of a back 3. He has already agreed a pro deal though (as have a lot of our 1st year scholars) so it will be signed quite early.

ISS expectations need to be tempered, he's miles away from being a regular first team in the football league never mind here, just now.

Physically, as has been touched on already, he's not going to make it as a centre half unless he grows considerably whilst he's not technically good enough to be a full back in the modern game. At the moment his best position is clearly on the left of a back 3. He has already agreed a pro deal though (as have a lot of our 1st year scholars) so it will be signed quite early.
If he's already agreed the pro deal then that is good news and we should probably take our time with his development and not fast track as quickly as previously said.

Agree on the size in that he worries me that he may be in the Astley and Gibson no man's land on size.

Your last sentence is very welcoming and hopefully an overall indication that things are moving in the right direction within our Academy .

can they not renege on these deals until they hit 17 though?

I recognised the name Carl Darlington but not from his FAW role, which I assume was part time. He was with Wrexham for a few spells, including coach/ caretake manager with a spell managing at TNS in between , returning to Wrexham as a Coach under Dean Keats and then being sacked along with Keats at the end of the 20 /21 season. So he’s very experienced in Welsh football , although the “ 17 years with the FAW “ is a bit odd given he’s 40, which as I said I assumed was a part time position for some of those years.

It would be good to see the structure now below Kevin Thelwell , who reports to whom etc .