Everton Youth Teams Thread

Yes he played quite a few games at full back for the U23’s at the end of the season and didn’t look too bad there so maybe they think he has a chance in that position.
I feel like this is more of Joe Anderson situation where they don't really have big hopes for him but they really need bodies in the squad. With Mallon supposedly being released and Kyle John surely looking for a move, right back (right wing back) would look a little light. Plus his versatility helps cover a few different positions in case of injury.

Edit: Or perhaps they think Roman Dixon needs another year in the 18s

Last edited:

As I’ve said before, I think the Athletic and the Echo have missed a key point. The u23s Head Coach position is advertised as reporting to “ our Head of Academy Coaching” who is/ was / who knows John Ebbrell. In effect we’ve diluted the u23 manager role as they will report to Ebbrell. Closing date was 5th May , so we should be close to making appointments soon….

I think the Athletic have got it wrong with their description of the u 23 s Head Coach role and their suggestion that this role takes direction from Lampard and Thelwell and sets the style of play . That appears to be the Academy Director‘s role I.e. “Working closely with our Director of Football and First Team Manager, our Academy Director will lead and develop the Club’s football philosophy and Academy performance plan, “ I guess we’ll know when we hear the names but I’m assuming any one with real ambition and credence will apply for the A ademy Director role.

Last edited:
As I’ve said before, I think the Athletic and the Echo have missed a key point. The u23s Head Coach position is advertised as reporting to “ our Head of Academy Coaching” who is/ was / who knows John Ebbrell. In effect we’ve diluted the u23 manager role as they will report to Ebbrell. Closing date was 5th May , so we should be close to making appointments soon….

I think the Athletic have got it wrong with their description of the u 23 s Head Coach role and their suggestion that this role takes direction from Lampard and Thelwell and sets the style of play . That appears to be the Academy Director‘s role I.e. “Working closely with our Director of Football and First Team Manager, our Academy Director will lead and develop the Club’s football philosophy and Academy performance plan, “ I guess we’ll know when we hear the names but I’m assuming any one with real ambition and credence will apply for the A ademy Director role.
Would Ebbrell not in turn be reporting to academy coaching educator Nicholson? The hierarchy is v confusing but I assume Ebbrells role has been taken over by him and the advert just had the specific role wrong.

I imagine/would hope we will have been selling 23s head coach as an opportunity for up and coming coaches to get their start before moving into the lower leagues like Critchley or Cooper. Not have someone spend as long as unsworth where it goes stale and accumulates too much influence. The academy director role seems to be an understudy to DoF whilst 23s HC to Lampard so it shouldn't see candidates be seeing it as one or the other as that was the whole problem with unsworth.

All said I'll believe it when I see it in action.

Would Ebbrell not in turn be reporting to academy coaching educator Nicholson? The hierarchy is v confusing but I assume Ebbrells role has been taken over by him and the advert just had the specific role wrong.

I imagine/would hope we will have been selling 23s head coach as an opportunity for up and coming coaches to get their start before moving into the lower leagues like Critchley or Cooper. Not have someone spend as long as unsworth where it goes stale and accumulates too much influence. The academy director role seems to be an understudy to DoF whilst 23s HC to Lampard so it shouldn't see candidates be seeing it as one or the other as that was the whole problem with unsworth.

All said I'll believe it when I see it in action.
“Confusing “ is indeed the right word.
I read Nicholson‘s role as an influencer, , making sure Coaches are working on the same lines and creating programmes . I don’t recall ever seeing an official Club announcement, just his own posts saying he’s about to take up the role.
Re your “ advert just had the specific wording wrong” , you may be right , I just went on the specific wording of the advert assuming that even we can’t get something as simple as a job advert wrong, daft that I know. But it says u23 head coach reports to Head of Academy Coaching. All will be clear one day.

“Confusing “ is indeed the right word.
I read Nicholson‘s role as an influencer, , making sure Coaches are working on the same lines and creating programmes . I don’t recall ever seeing an official Club announcement, just his own posts saying he’s about to take up the role.
Re your “ advert just had the specific wording wrong” , you may be right , I just went on the specific wording of the advert assuming that even we can’t get something as simple as a job advert wrong, daft that I know. But it says u23 head coach reports to Head of Academy Coaching. All will be clear one day.
Any indication (even as confusing as above) that the club is trying to at least implement a style of play across the teams with a (as yet un-) clear chain of command is a step forward.

I don't recall seeing anything about Academy players being released. Isn't that normally announced in May, after the U18 and U23 games are done?