Everton Youth Teams Thread

Can tell you grouchy little mofo.
Thought you'd been warned off calling me names. You'll be getting a 7 dayer if you.re not careful mate.;)

Anyway, back to young Mr Simms. I think you're being a bit harsh on the lad.

Apart from a pre season tournament 18 months ago I've only seen the goal highlights for Simms. You are right to a degree Nymz. His size does give him an advantage at this age group but if you look at the goals he scores, not many are typical big centre forward goals. For a big guy he's very skilful on the floor, and for at least half of his goals this season (up until yesterday which I haven't seen yet) he's had to beat at least one player in the box before firing home. His finishing is also very accomplished. His size does make him look lethargic though and I've not seen that many goals where he's playing on the shoulder. But Edin Dzeko has shown that there is still room in the modern game for big strong old fashioned centre forward, especially one with a knack for scoring goals. 16 in 10 is not too shabby to be fair, at any level as Eggs rightly says.

Thought you'd been warned off calling me names. You'll be getting a 7 dayer if you.re not careful mate.;)

Anyway, back to young Mr Simms. I think you're being a bit harsh on the lad.

Apart from a pre season tournament 18 months ago I've only seen the goal highlights for Simms. You are right to a degree Nymz. His size does give him an advantage at this age group but if you look at the goals he scores, not many are typical big centre forward goals. For a big guy he's very skilful on the floor, and for at least half of his goals this season (up until yesterday which I haven't seen yet) he's had to beat at least one player in the box before firing home. His finishing is also very accomplished. His size does make him look lethargic though and I've not seen that many goals where he's playing on the shoulder. But Edin Dzeko has shown that there is still room in the modern game for big strong old fashioned centre forward, especially one with a knack for scoring goals. 16 in 10 is not too shabby to be fair, at any level as Eggs rightly says.

Oh yeh I was being very high-level with my assessment; his finishing looks good and he does have the size/pace which are powerful combos but I dunno, I just get this really strong Brewster vibe from him. I'll catch him a few times in the U23's before I completely write him off. I just think Sambou would probably do the same in the U18's and I don't rate him whatsoever.

Maybe we will do better in the Youth Cup this season as we’ve a more settled team. A few years ago we brought in Davies, Connolly, Walsh , Dowell back from u21 and promptly lost at home , Villa 1-0 I think, as others have said we haven’t done well since the Osman/Jeffers era. And again as others have said Chelsea are the team to beat, in fairness to them they’ve played some fantastic football in the finals the last few years.
You could be right with the settled team thing. It is strange thought when we've done so well in the in the U18 PL that we couldn't make any impact in the youth cup.

Think last season was the biggest joke ever, sending 5/6 of our best U18 players to Cyprus to play the EL game the night before.

Oh yeh I was being very high-level with my assessment; his finishing looks good and he does have the size/pace which are powerful combos but I dunno, I just get this really strong Brewster vibe from him. I'll catch him a few times in the U23's before I completely write him off. I just think Sambou would probably do the same in the U18's and I don't rate him whatsoever.
Sambou scores some worldies but he's just as likely to miss a 2 yarder. He's also 4 years older than Simms.

Does anyone know if it is likely that the U23 derby on November 25th will be played at Goodison Park? Says on the OS that venue is TBC.

Didn't stand out for me when I saw him a couple weeks ago, but others that have seen him more than once will have a better idea of him!! :eek:

Tom Cannon - that name seemed familiar - he is the football professor who I argued about Kirkby with about a decade or so back.

Watching some of the Simms highlights, he seems at the moment to be one of those young kids who is too big and strong for those at his age group. I think he needs to try to take on the u23 level soon because demolishing the u18s is only helpful for so long and if you can just physically dominate it might be detrimental toward the development of actual skill. Odds are he will eventually meet his match physically and then it'll be a problem if he doesn't have the skill.
Of course he could also grow at the same rate as his peers and be Drogba or Duncan

Its 1st Placed Everon u23s one of now 4 teams on 14 points playing away to 2nd placed Arsenal u23s tonight with a 7pm ko looking to gain a 3 point lead at the top,there is only 1 point between the top 6,or 2 between the top 8 at present before tonight and its not on Arsenal tv or anything i dont think,plus a remainder that the Everton u23s v man city u23s is at Goodison park sat night with a 7pm ko baring any late changes