Everton Youth Teams Thread

EVERTON U18S TEAM v Newcastle ko 1pm-we have a 1 point lead going into todays games at the top-but Liverpool are 3 up at ht,meaning we need to win to stay there,while those around us lead,or won

Dp8ypW3WoAEWwBr.jpg

WEre you there BL, or did you get th elist from online somewhere? If you were, what did you think of Simms, aside from his goals?

I've always wondered, what actually is a litmus test ? Note : achieved U in Chemistry.

Iirc, it was a test for acid/alkaline levels.

Well I haven't had a chance to see them live up to now, but reading about them and seeing bits and pieces on the Everton website they look pretty good with plenty of goals in them, Simms and Phillips look very good along with a few more, anyway I'm keeping my fingers crossed for them, as you indicate we are due for a go at this cup.
Maybe we will do better in the Youth Cup this season as we’ve a more settled team. A few years ago we brought in Davies, Connolly, Walsh , Dowell back from u21 and promptly lost at home , Villa 1-0 I think, as others have said we haven’t done well since the Osman/Jeffers era. And again as others have said Chelsea are the team to beat, in fairness to them they’ve played some fantastic football in the finals the last few years.

Watching some of the Simms highlights, he seems at the moment to be one of those young kids who is too big and strong for those at his age group. I think he needs to try to take on the u23 level soon because demolishing the u18s is only helpful for so long and if you can just physically dominate it might be detrimental toward the development of actual skill. Odds are he will eventually meet his match physically and then it'll be a problem if he doesn't have the skill.

Watching some of the Simms highlights, he seems at the moment to be one of those young kids who is too big and strong for those at his age group. I think he needs to try to take on the u23 level soon because demolishing the u18s is only helpful for so long and if you can just physically dominate it might be detrimental toward the development of actual skill. Odds are he will eventually meet his match physically and then it'll be a problem if he doesn't have the skill.
It’s a good point about Simms and one that has been made about him since most people first saw him in a preseason tournament 15 months ago - big, strong for his age, slightly clumsy in that he missed a number of chances , but scored a few.

I think the u18 games are honing his goal scoring skills, he’s obviously getting more chances at this level and tucking lots away.

He does now need to step up see what he can do at u23s, which is not easy to do straight away. If he’s scoring at u23 straight away that’s great, but many find the transition to scoring goals up a level is not easy e.g Hornby, Gordon, Broadhead, Sambou. So there’s a good argument that says you may need to give him time, balanced of course by the alternative view that if they’re not performing and scoring at 18/19 then they’ll struggle to play at PL level . That’s what’s fascinating about youth football, watching these youngsters coming through .... and wondering but not knowing if they’ll make it.