Everton Youth Teams Thread

…I’m not an avid watcher like I used to be, I only see the odd game when it’s streamed. If you attend you will have a more informed view but I was thinking it’s the lack of quality recruitment more than poor coaching.
I usually have attended when the games have been at .Goodison but not many, if any, are played there now so I usually watch on the streams, but about the coaches Eggs just one question, when was the last Everton coach, appointed to coach the young players, not a former Everton player?

Kyle John racking up 10+ apps in his age 23 season is mental. Funniest part is he has chance at a new deal since the club hasn't kept hold of a left back since Robinson and the 16s one might also be off
John is older than some of our regular first team players. I thought we’d given up trying to turn him into a full back . Time to help him find a new club come July .

I usually have attended when the games have been at .Goodison but not many, if any, are played there now so I usually watch on the streams, but about the coaches Eggs just one question, when was the last Everton coach, appointed to coach the young players, not a former Everton player?

…oh, I agree. I’m against the nepotism but I think it’s easy to blame the coaches when I think the problem lies with recruitment. Saying that, coaches should be appointed on their quality/CV not because they once played for the club.

What I will say is that during my considerable time watching Everton at all levels, the greatest Academy coach was an ex-player - Colin Harvey. Don’t entirely dismiss what we have as I think the real issues are elsewhere.

I think you need to stand on the touchline to see. I distinctly remember an Everton v United A Team game at Bellefield, the Everton coaches were on the far side, United nearer the changing rooms. SAF was nearby which surprised me until I saw a youngster called Giggs in touching distance.

The Everton coaches were saying all the usual things about ‘getting rid’ and ‘running hard’, whereas every time Giggs got the ball Ferguson said ‘enjoy yourself, son’. I’ll never forget that.

When Graham Sharp, got his first Scotland cap, he gave it to Colin Harvey. It says everything about what a truly top coach can do.

Last edited:
…oh, I agree. I’m against the nepotism but I think it’s easy to blame the coaches when I think the problem lies with recruitment. Saying that, coaches should be appointed on their quality/CV not because they once played for the club.

What I will say is that during my considerable time watching Everton at all levels, the greatest Academy coach was an ex-player - Colin Harvey. Don’t entirely dismiss what we have as I think the real issues are elsewhere.

I think you need to stand on the touchline to see. I distinctly remember an Everton v United A Team game at Bellefield, the Everton coaches were on the far side, United nearer the changing rooms. SAF was nearby which surprised me until I saw a youngster called Giggs in touching distance.

The Everton coaches were saying all the usual things about ‘getting rid’ and ‘running hard’, whereas every time Giggs got the ball Ferguson said ‘enjoy yourself, son’. I’ll never forget that.

When Graham Sharp, got his first Scotland cap, he gave it to Colin Harvey. It says everything about what a truly top coach can do.
Colin Harvey was an excellent excellent coach with the youngsters.more importantly with the seniors, I reckon he was as important as Howard Kendall during those four brilliant years we ruled the roost. Kevin Sheedy did well coaching the Academy youngsters, I’m not dismissing all of them but plenty were appointed through a nod off Kenwright who knew next to nothing about football but knew how to buy ‘ friends’. Harvey and Sheedy knew football and their ability was proved when they coached.

We can produce players if they are given the chance.
Ex Everton youth Ellis Simms bags a brace & an assist as Coventry dump Wolves out of the cup.
Great game to watch Bidwell played well too.

Yanno what , Coventry play better football than we do.

No Everton players in any of the England youth squads announced today I don't think
Sadly true (although Branthwaite would have been a shoo-in for the u21s) but we do have a few other international kids out there.

Luis Gardner - Wales u17s (6 games for our 18s this year, made his 18s debut in October at 15)
Aled Thomas - Wales u19s
Fraser Barnsley - Northern Ireland u21s
Zan-Luk Leban - Slovenia u21s
Youssef Chermiti - Portugal u21s

George Morgan is injured too and he's been a regular in the Wales youth teams. Sherif missing out for Netherlands could be fitness related too as he's (relatively) recently come back from injury. Djankpata looks to have missed out this time for Italy u19s.

Sadly true (although Branthwaite would have been a shoo-in for the u21s) but we do have a few other international kids out there.

Luis Gardner - Wales u17s (6 games for our 18s this year, made his 18s debut in October at 15)
Aled Thomas - Wales u19s
Fraser Barnsley - Northern Ireland u21s
Zan-Luk Leban - Slovenia u21s
Youssef Chermiti - Portugal u21s

George Morgan is injured too and he's been a regular in the Wales youth teams. Sherif missing out for Netherlands could be fitness related too as he's (relatively) recently come back from injury. Djankpata looks to have missed out this time for Italy u19s.
Great list, thanks. Matthew Apter was playing for Scotland u16/18 at one time , I guess he’s currently injured ?