Everton Youth Teams Thread

I enjoyed that . Warrington looked his usual tidy self but nothing special, Onyango disappointing no real progression, loved the goals from Whitaker , he deserves a bit of luck from injuries just to see if he can rekindle the promise he had. Metcalfe looked easily the best of the bunch for me , and remains our brightest prospect in the u21s. Barker was buzzing when he came on too , I’m not sure if he’s better than Warrington and Onyango but him and Djankpata deserve the opportunity to show what they’ve got .

I enjoyed that . Warrington looked his usual tidy self but nothing special, Onyango disappointing no real progression, loved the goals from Whitaker , he deserves a bit of luck from injuries just to see if he can rekindle the promise he had. Metcalfe looked easily the best of the bunch for me , and remains our brightest prospect in the u21s. Barker was buzzing when he came on too , I’m not sure if he’s better than Warrington and Onyango but him and Djankpata deserve the opportunity to show what they’ve got .

Is Barker competing with either of those? He’s more of a winger or attacking mid at a push

Is Barker competing with either of those? He’s more of a winger or attacking mid at a push
I’d say attacking mid , he did ok alongside Metcalfe at u18s, I don’t recall him playing out wide. It’s tough on them injuries wise that we’ve ended up with Onyango and Warrington, but I don’t see anything that says they’ll be around the first team next season in either of them. Onyango will need to somehow prove himself off the first team bench, not easy.Hence my belief we let Metcalfe , Djankpata and Barker run the midfield. I’ll throw in Armstrong there too , he’s got something about him but not sure if he’s a wide player .

Last edited:
I’d say attacking mid , he did ok alongside Metcalfe at u18s, I don’t recall him playing out wide. It’s tough on them injuries wise that we’ve ended up with Onyango and Warrington, but I don’t see anything that says they’ll be around the first team next season in either of them. Onyango will need to somehow prove himself off the first team bench, not easy.Hence my belief we let Metcalfe , Djankpata and Barker run the midfield. I’ll throw in Armstrong there too , he’s got something about him but not sure if he’s a wide player .

Yeah I like Armstrong, i though that was a decent showing from him.

Metcalfe looked levels above everyone else though and a very tidy finish to win the game.

I think Brighton got the Ferguson deal done pre brexit. The Northern Irish boys who have the right to dual nationality and British passports no matter their preference can come over at 16 while The lads south of the border with Irish Passports need work permits now so tend to need to be 18. Hence why a lot of these are heading to italy and other european leagues atm.
We had Ferguson on trial here, I’m led to believe.

There a bit on Dyche’s views on our youngsters in the Echo today . There’s a lot of frustration around Dyche particularly when we’re not winning, but I have to say he’s right on this :

“ the Blues boss was asked whether he had seen any youngsters he believed were currently good enough to help a squad that has gone winless in 10 league games.

He said: “No, because if they were they would be playing. That is a really simple equation. If there was an 18-year-old here who I thought was good enough to play in the first team, he would be playing. There is no one I have seen so far who is ready to jump in there. “