Everton Youth Teams Thread

Sound like 3 good age groups. Thought the 15s had reached the final. Meant to have a very good striker, Jack something.
Think it was Leicester they beat 1-0 in the final, George Morgan scored. Very good forward, plays for Wales U16s, scored 4/6 goals in that tournament. Jack also rated it seems as he plays with U16s, seemingly handling himself well as he’s scoring consistently playing up.

Think it was Leicester they beat 1-0 in the final, George Morgan scored. Very good forward, plays for Wales U16s, scored 4/6 goals in that tournament. Jack also rated it seems as he plays with U16s, seemingly handling himself well as he’s scoring consistently playing up.

I know Ebere is well thought of too.

No mate, shut up, he’d have played 30 games for us this year if he’d stayed
Thierry Small for me will always be a “ shrug shoulders/ what if/ we’ll never know” player with regards to us. Very few people on here actually saw him live or in training, yet many were either outraged at him because he left or outraged at us as we couldn’t keep him. What I saw in the extracts of him was a strong , speedy , well built full back with great stamina - not quite the 16 year old man-child that was Rooney but great physicality. I saw little that said he had great defensive qualities or that he was an exceptional crosser of the ball. Where he was outstanding was his ability to go from his own area to the opposing area , get on the end of an attack and score, something that marked him out at 16. And he did it consistently.

I did wonder though how he was going to maintain this. At u18/23 it is easier to catch defences by surprise by suddenly appearing from nowhere as a full back when you’ve started in your own area. As a wing-back higher up the pitch you’re more likely to be tracked if you go forward by an opposing midfielder, meaning chances/ goals are fewer . He seems to be playing wing back for Southampton u23 , scored a few but not outstanding. I’m sure he’ll get token bench spots at Southampton , but for me there’s no more than a passing interest in how he does. Gone now , won’t be back.

I mean, considering he didn't leave till transfer deadline day, I'm not sure where you're getting that from.

That was always the plan to loan him.

Either way it's been a poor move for Small. He had had gametime here, he would likely have got more as he got older, and had a more youth focused manager. I'm not sure hes played a single minute for Southampton. He was advised poorly unfortunately, which is a shame for him.

That was always the plan to loan him.

Either way it's been a poor move for Small. He had had gametime here, he would likely have got more as he got older, and had a more youth focused manager. I'm not sure hes played a single minute for Southampton. He was advised poorly unfortunately, which is a shame for him.

I mean, you don't know this, you're talking out of your rectum now.

We also had Benitez, not Lampard, when Small was here so he didn't have a youth focused manager.

You're not understanding what hindsight is at all.

I mean, you don't know this, you're talking out of your rectum now.

We also had Benitez, not Lampard, when Small was here so he didn't have a youth focused manager.

You're not understanding what hindsight is at all.

I think Brands was quite open to moving Nkounkou out on loan wasn't he?

Yes we had Benitez, we now have Lampard. Ironically enough Benitez gave Gordon a chance.

It's just not been a move that has worked out well for Small thus far has it? I'm sure he got paid well out of it but other than that, it's been a poor move. I'm not sure why that would even be a controversial statement to be honest.

I think Brands was quite open to moving Nkounkou out on loan wasn't he?

Yes we had Benitez, we now have Lampard. Ironically enough Benitez gave Gordon a chance.

It's just not been a move that has worked out well for Small thus far has it? I'm sure he got paid well out of it but other than that, it's been a poor move. I'm not sure why that would even be a controversial statement to be honest.

It wasn't, this is the controversial and hindsight-ridden statement I objected:

hed have been given further opportunities here and has stagnated at Southampton.

Thierry Small for me will always be a “ shrug shoulders/ what if/ we’ll never know” player with regards to us. Very few people on here actually saw him live or in training, yet many were either outraged at him because he left or outraged at us as we couldn’t keep him. What I saw in the extracts of him was a strong , speedy , well built full back with great stamina - not quite the 16 year old man-child that was Rooney but great physicality. I saw little that said he had great defensive qualities or that he was an exceptional crosser of the ball. Where he was outstanding was his ability to go from his own area to the opposing area , get on the end of an attack and score, something that marked him out at 16. And he did it consistently.

I did wonder though how he was going to maintain this. At u18/23 it is easier to catch defences by surprise by suddenly appearing from nowhere as a full back when you’ve started in your own area. As a wing-back higher up the pitch you’re more likely to be tracked if you go forward by an opposing midfielder, meaning chances/ goals are fewer . He seems to be playing wing back for Southampton u23 , scored a few but not outstanding. I’m sure he’ll get token bench spots at Southampton , but for me there’s no more than a passing interest in how he does. Gone now , won’t be back.
Yes this describes him for me, good going forward not so hot defending, did he really score a lot of goals while he was here?

Like most fans I do not know the ins and outs of his deal with Southampton but he was offered a very good deal by Everton which he rejected, or his agent did, to join The Saints, sounded to me that money played a big part in his move. Still no word of how much compensation Everton have received for him, maybe £2M or more.