Everton Youth Teams Thread

For me given the number of games they are playing Branthwaite, Gordon and Simms should be in the u23s squad. They should still train with 1st team but they should be getting game time as well. Gordon is the only one anywhere near squad at the minute and even then he hasn't had many minutes. They are 19, 20 and 20 so it's not like the Connolly Pennington days. They would also bring a little bit of relative experience to the team.

For me given the number of games they are playing Branthwaite, Gordon and Simms should be in the u23s squad. They should still train with 1st team but they should be getting game time as well. Gordon is the only one anywhere near squad at the minute and even then he hasn't had many minutes. They are 19, 20 and 20 so it's not like the Connolly Pennington days. They would also bring a little bit of relative experience to the team.

Whilst it’s good to get them minutes it shouldn’t be there; they’ve all outgrown it. Playing them there takes minutes away from the even younger lads which has been an issue for as long as I can remember till around halfway through last season. These lads have to be playing an age up.

Whilst it’s good to get them minutes it shouldn’t be there; they’ve all outgrown it. Playing them there takes minutes away from the even younger lads which has been an issue for as long as I can remember till around halfway through last season. These lads have to be playing an age up.

I'd put all 3 out on loan in January but I think whilst they are here they need some sort of football. I'd particularly use them in the EFL trophy. I know its a bit sentimental but it would be nice for Branthwaite to play against his old club. I agree young players should be getting minuted but we have a lot of fixtures on the next 3/4 weeks at both u23 and u18. The likes of Welch, Price, Mills would still get game time.

….interesting comment re ‘Mills behind Kenny and Coleman’, given he’s not played RB (as far as I know). Fascinating if he’s seen as a possible RB, it’s something I have mentioned.

My point about ‘travelling with the first team’ is not necessarily about being involved. Often they will take youngsters for the matchday experience.

Mills is a really interesting one. You obviously note he had a dad who played. We can quibble the ethics, but it does often make a difference, in terms of physique and attitude for a player.

In honesty he was nowhere near it. He couldn't get a game for the 18's and Mallon (a year older) seemed to be making progress. I don't know if Mallon is injured or Mills have jumped the cue but he looks the man in possession currently.

He has grown a fair bit over the last 6 months. He looks approaching 6 ft to me now, which makes a big difference. It sort of differentiates him from John and Kenny, who in their own way were both probably held back by size and athletic ability.

Maybe a bit rusty. Is he playing as the CF. I'm guessing Wright is playing RB even though on meet the scholars he said he was a LB.
I did wonder who would be RB with Mallon playing last night, shows confidence in Samuels-Smith if he’s been given the LB position, though oddly there are no out and out defenders on the bench.
We‘ve played 4231 at times , so likely Kouyate is CF , Jagne and Metcalfe have been the 2 deeper mids , but im sure they’ll switch about.

I did wonder who would be RB with Mallon playing last night, shows confidence in Samuels-Smith if he’s been given the LB position, though oddly there are no out and out defenders on the bench.
We‘ve played 4231 at times , so likely Kouyate is CF , Jagne and Metcalfe have been the 2 deeper mids , but im sure they’ll switch about.

I think that is good for Samuels-Smith to play as much u18s as possible this season so hopefully he can step up to u23s next season. Only 3 2nd year scholars in the team and 2 that must be u16s. We are definitely moving in the right direction age wise.