Everton Youth Teams Thread

Everton Under-18s defeated Fleetwood Town 4-1 in a pre-season friendly at USM Finch Farm on Tuesday.

A plethora of Under-16s players were in Paul Tait’s line-up and they were comfortable victors against their EFL Youth Alliance opponents.

“I’m delighted with the way it’s going,” said coach Paul Tait. “We had five Under-16s coming in to help us today so we were very young but we’re scoring goals and we looked a threat.”

The Blues took the lead in the third minute. Isaac Heath’s long pass picked out Halid Djankpata and although his first effort was saved, he hammered home the rebound.

“Halid done well today and he’s a smashing lad for us, so enthusiastic,” said Tait.

“He gives us real energy down the sides and I was delighted for him because he had a couple of nasty injuries last season with the 16s so hopefully we can keep him fit.”

Rather than capitalise on that early breakthrough, Everton allowed Fleetwood to play themselves into the game and the visitors gave as good as they got for most of the first period, albeit without really troubling Mackenzie Chapman in the home goal.

“We’re still getting used to the new shape that we’re playing and sometimes it’s difficult for us to press as a group and win the ball back,” said Tait. “There’s stuff to work on but I was delighted with the application and the attitude.”

Harry Clarke had the best opening for Fleetwood in the opening period but he couldn’t control his half-volley and the ball bounced harmlessly wide.

Everton then effectively put the outcome out of Fleetwood’s reach with two goals in the last five minutes of the first half.

An effort from Matthew Mallon was deflected wide and from a short corner, Sean Coughlin delivered a hanging cross that Jack Tierney headed over the keeper.

Martin Sherif made it 3-0 in the 43rd minute with shot from 20-yards that found the bottom corner.

The fourth goal came on the hour mark – made and taken by two of the substitutes introduced early in the second half.

Ed Jones powered forward from defence and after evading a couple of challenges he forced the keeper into a low save. Matthew Apter was on hand to guide the loose ball into an empty net.

Five minutes later, Clarke got the goal his lively performance deserved for Fleetwood and he almost found the net again sixty seconds later.

There was still time for Jensen Metcalfe to hit the Fleetwood crossbar with a direct free-kick on a very satisfying afternoon for the young Blues, who have one more friendly on Saturday against Preston North End before the commencement of their league campaign.

Everton Under-18s defeated Fleetwood Town 4-1 in a pre-season friendly at USM Finch Farm on Tuesday.

A plethora of Under-16s players were in Paul Tait’s line-up and they were comfortable victors against their EFL Youth Alliance opponents.

“I’m delighted with the way it’s going,” said coach Paul Tait. “We had five Under-16s coming in to help us today so we were very young but we’re scoring goals and we looked a threat.”

The Blues took the lead in the third minute. Isaac Heath’s long pass picked out Halid Djankpata and although his first effort was saved, he hammered home the rebound.

“Halid done well today and he’s a smashing lad for us, so enthusiastic,” said Tait.

“He gives us real energy down the sides and I was delighted for him because he had a couple of nasty injuries last season with the 16s so hopefully we can keep him fit.”

Rather than capitalise on that early breakthrough, Everton allowed Fleetwood to play themselves into the game and the visitors gave as good as they got for most of the first period, albeit without really troubling Mackenzie Chapman in the home goal.

“We’re still getting used to the new shape that we’re playing and sometimes it’s difficult for us to press as a group and win the ball back,” said Tait. “There’s stuff to work on but I was delighted with the application and the attitude.”

Harry Clarke had the best opening for Fleetwood in the opening period but he couldn’t control his half-volley and the ball bounced harmlessly wide.

Everton then effectively put the outcome out of Fleetwood’s reach with two goals in the last five minutes of the first half.

An effort from Matthew Mallon was deflected wide and from a short corner, Sean Coughlin delivered a hanging cross that Jack Tierney headed over the keeper.

Martin Sherif made it 3-0 in the 43rd minute with shot from 20-yards that found the bottom corner.

The fourth goal came on the hour mark – made and taken by two of the substitutes introduced early in the second half.

Ed Jones powered forward from defence and after evading a couple of challenges he forced the keeper into a low save. Matthew Apter was on hand to guide the loose ball into an empty net.

Five minutes later, Clarke got the goal his lively performance deserved for Fleetwood and he almost found the net again sixty seconds later.

There was still time for Jensen Metcalfe to hit the Fleetwood crossbar with a direct free-kick on a very satisfying afternoon for the young Blues, who have one more friendly on Saturday against Preston North End before the commencement of their league campaign.
A few names there that I've not heard before

Halid Djankpata a new name to me

Never heard of Sean Coughlin
Djankpata and Coughlin are two of the new Scholars , I did a list a few weeks back , I’ll see if I can bump it.

The names I don’t recognise so assume are u16s are the goalkeeper Mackenzie Chapman and Matthew Apter . Martin Sherif also mentioned is also u16, he’s featured already in pre season. I think it said there were 5 u16 s, so two further ones not mentioned, possibly Cobe Ebre and Emilio Lawrence who have featured recently.

Last edited:
Everton u23s starting line up away to Chorley. 7.30 ko

Tyrer, Quirk, Anderson, Astley, Welch, Butterfield, Mills, Dobbin, Cannon, Price, Whitaker

It looks like the list of new Scholars is out. I noticed we’d updated the official u18 names, no details just names. These are the 12 names I recognised as “new” so not official yet.

Defenders:
Jack Tierney
Edward Jones
Roman Quintyne
Charlie Wilson
Harry Wright

Midfielders:
Owen Barker
Isaac Heath
Shae Cahill
Sam Coughlan
Halid Djankpata
Saja Manafa
Jenson Metcalfe

Forward: Troy Smikler-James.

Shae Cahill is Tim’s son. Tierney, Quintyne,Barker, Heath, Metcalfe , Manafa, featured at u18 last season, Quintyne and Metcalfe also at U23s. Charlie Wilson seems a familiar name but can’t place him to playing at u18. All are down as “ England” at the moment, no doubt we’ll find out more when their bios are included.
A nice number of new names there to find out about. Welcome guys!
Bumping up the list of new Scholars as some are now getting mentioned in matches.

Looks though that Seb Quirk is starting right back tonight so maybe John still going on loan. Mallon is a far better right back than Quirk going on last season when we tried Quirk at RB and it didn’t work well.
Quirk seems to be playing right back tonight
Yeah I admittedly typed that out before seeing tonight's 23s lineup. Don't really get Quirk over Mallon myself find it a bit of a strange one

Dobbin 1-0 on 7mins

Really good play from the young Blues there! Cannon did well to get his head up and see the run of his strike partner, and Dobbin burst beyond the last line of defence making no mistake with a cool finish

Chorley
With a through ball completely against the run of play Everton breakthrough and Lewis Dobbin slots it past the keeper