Everton Youth Teams Thread

Yep they've got to get beat at some point and our 18s in the cup is as strong as any. Won't be easy but they've got to fancy it this year
On paper Chelsea‘s individual players are not as strong as City‘s , but their Academy is top class of course , with years of experience of winning domestic and European trophies so they’ll be a tough nut to crack ....but we’re organised, play as a team with individuals capable of winning it so who knows eh.

On paper Chelsea‘s individual players are not as strong as City‘s , but their Academy is top class of course , with years of experience of winning domestic and European trophies so they’ll be a tough nut to crack ....but we’re organised, play as a team with individuals capable of winning it so who knows eh.

Defeating both Chelsea and City in the same season would be as symbolic as winning the thing in my view.

Style of play wise yes but every time I see him he looks like Dowell and even seems to have the same languid way of moving.
Warrington looks like Dowell and has the same languid way of moving? Don’t think so, Warrington is always looking for the ball, knows how to tackle and relishes that side of the, can pass short and long, maybe not as good as Dowell, he urges his players on and is a proper team player for every minute he is on the pitch, very different player from Dowell, who is starting to have a good period with Norwich after starting there with a bad injury, maybe is putting some heart, bottle and endeavour into his game, the things he lacked, while with Everton, to go with his obvious football ability. I hope he keeps it up at Norwich.

Warrington looks like Dowell and has the same languid way of moving? Don’t think so, Warrington is always looking for the ball, knows how to tackle and relishes that side of the, can pass short and long, maybe not as good as Dowell, he urges his players on and is a proper team player for every minute he is on the pitch, very different player from Dowell, who is starting to have a good period with Norwich after starting there with a bad injury, maybe is putting some heart, bottle and endeavour into his game, the things he lacked, while with Everton, to go with his obvious football ability. I hope he keeps it up at Norwich.

I think you misunderstood me a little. I saw a photo of Warrington the other day and I thought it was Dowell as he had a similar hairstyle (all these young lads look the same to me, must be a sign of getting old!). I also seen him walking and again it was just a snap shot and it looked a little laid back. However I agree when the ball is in play he is everywhere and looks an energy player.

I think you misunderstood me a little. I saw a photo of Warrington the other day and I thought it was Dowell as he had a similar hairstyle (all these young lads look the same to me, must be a sign of getting old!). I also seen him walking and again it was just a snap shot and it looked a little laid back. However I agree when the ball is in play he is everywhere and looks an energy player.
I must admit I was puzzled by your Dowell comparison- that 2nd half tackle from Warrington where he took the ball and dumped the man was most unDowell like! I know what you mean about young lads looking alike though, the three thin lanky midfielders Isaac Price, Luke Butterfield and Jenson Metcalfe are all similar when they are playing together. From the little I‘ve seen we may well be comparing Metcalfe‘s love of tackles with Warrington‘s in coming years.

I must admit I was puzzled by your Dowell comparison- that 2nd half tackle from Warrington where he took the ball and dumped the man was most unDowell like! I know what you mean about young lads looking alike though, the three thin lanky midfielders Isaac Price, Luke Butterfield and Jenson Metcalfe cause me confusion when they are playing together. From the little I seen we may well be comparing Metcalfe‘s love of tackles with Warrington‘s in coming years.

We seem to produce a lot of central midfielders I just hope one of them stands up and makes it to the first team. We produced Ledson, Williams, Walsh, Davies and Baningime all in close order and they will all have decent careers but only Davies has made any impact on our team.

We seem to produce a lot of central midfielders I just hope one of them stands up and makes it to the first team. We produced Ledson, Williams, Walsh, Davies and Baningime all in close order and they will all have decent careers but only Davies has made any impact on our team.

....I imagine these things are more by chance than design. We had Jeffers, Cadamarteri, Rooney, Vaughan & Anichebe come through as strikers and we’re now seeing a few CMs.

Yeah, for whatever reason we do seem to get clumps of players in positions at times , centre back is another with five vying for u18 spots at the start of the season, but only one new striker, Kouyate coming in so with injuries , loans etc Cannon is currently covering u18 and U23s . I guess if players are promising they shouldn’t be discarded early .

....I imagine these things are more by chance than design. We had Jeffers, Cadamarteri, Rooney, Vaughan & Anichebe come through as strikers and we’re now seeing a few CMs.

Yeah, for whatever reason we do seem to get clumps of players in positions at times , centre back is another with five vying for u18 spots at the start of the season, but only one new striker, Kouyate coming in so with injuries , loans etc Cannon is currently covering u18 and U23s . I guess if players are promising they shouldn’t be discarded early .

Yeah I think these things come in cycles. Our coaching must be a little bit to do with it but I wonder if the skill set we look for in midfielders is what's in vogue at the minute. I also think we produce a fair few CBs but again none that have been quite good enough. I think now Brands has cleared some of the congestion it will give some of these boys more of a chance.

Yeah I think these things come in cycles. Our coaching must be a little bit to do with it but I wonder if the skill set we look for in midfielders is what's in vogue at the minute. I also think we produce a fair few CBs but again none that have been quite good enough. I think now Brands has cleared some of the congestion it will give some of these boys more of a chance.

...I think it’s also lots to do with recruitment.

Dobbin came on for the second half yesterday so he could bring some good news to the U18’s squad with the FA youth cup in mind.

...I think it’s also lots to do with recruitment.

I suspect coaching has a bit to do with it too. We coach our players to havefood fundamentals, to be able to control and pass the ball, as well as having good decision making skills. All lead to players who are most comfortable in midfield.

The 90's was an interesting time as you say. Branch, Cadamateri, Jeffers, Rooney, Vaughan and Anichebe all within 10 years. Lads like Chadwick and Jevons who also got some game time in that too.