Everton Youth Teams Thread

4min highlights via man utd of the u23s game

Nathan Broadhead scored a hat-trick as Everton Under-23s defeated Manchester United in their Premier League 2 meeting at Southport's Pure Stadium on Monday night.

The Blues hit the front on 26 minutes through Broadhead’s dinked finish, before Charlie McCann levelled on the stroke of half-time with a rasping 25-yard strike.

David Unsworth’s side then raced through the gears at the start of the second 45, with Broadhead securing his second and third of the evening by the 65th minute.

Everton’s young guns went into the game looking to leapfrog United in the league standings and return to winning ways after suffering a 3-1 defeat at Manchester City last time out.

"Obviously Broady scoring a hat-trick, he takes all the plaudits, but I think it was a really pleasing overall team performance and there was a real togetherness against a young United team but a good United team," said delighted Under-23s coach Francis Jeffers. "They posed us some problems, we dealt with them and we were always a threat.

"It was disappointing to concede the goal when we did. But, like I said, United have got good players who kept popping up in those pockets that caused our defence and central midfielders problems - like all Man United teams do. But the reaction after their goal I felt was really, really positive.

"You can see with Broady he wants more and more. He misses one at the end and he's disappointed. And that's the way it should be.

"He's a senior member of the group, one that the lads look up to and he produced the goods tonight."

Broadhead was in inspired form all evening and should have opened the scoring on 21 minutes but, after linking up well with Einar Iversen, the Welshman saw his driven attempt saved by the feet of United goalkeeper Matej Kovar.

Five minutes later, though, the former Burton Albion loanee wasn't to be denied when he latched onto Rhys Hughes’ perfectly-weighted through ball before executing the coolest of dinks over Kovar.

United responded with a spell of pressure, but it took until stoppage time at the end of the opening period for them to breach João Virgínia’s goal - and when they did it was a spectacular effort from McCann.

The visitors may well have thought that goal had caused a momentum shift after Everton had enjoyed the bulk of the first-half chances but Unsworth's side showed a clinical edge in the second 45 to take the game away from United.

Broadhead bagged his second on 57 minutes after Iversen burst into the box - the Norwegian's attempt at goal rebounded kindly and allowed him the chance to square it for Broadhead to slot home.

Eight minutes later and Everton added a two-goal cushion to their lead. This time Joe Anderson met Hughes' corner from the right at the near post, glanced it towards goal and Broadhead was well placed on the line to secure the win.

The result sees the Toffees - now third in the Premier League 2 table - claim their third win in four games ahead of a trip to fourth-placed Tottenham Hotspur on Friday 5 March, kick off 12pm.

His chance is gone unfortunately mate but should be a number of league 1 clubs after his signature in JuneIversen looked greay

Yes much better and looked better organised, could have won by more, Isaac Price stood out for me, and Broadhead, now in the first team squad deserves a place on the bench in the first team and a few minutes on the field.
I thought Iversen was great today. But to be fair, most of the 11 were. None of the three centre backs will make it at Everton, but if scouts were watching today, all three would all have suitors.

Well played boys.

@Eggs I think it was you preaching about Isaac Heath, I did post a video on here which quickly got copyright claimed (understandable given his age), but he did look a real talent, small yet deceptively strong and tricky with cracking vision.

Obviously not fair to hype a kid at such a raw age but I do remember watching a 14 year old Wayne Rooney...

...yep, remember watching Rooney playing in a Lancashire League U18 game when he was 15, it only took five minutes to know he was special. I went home, sent an e-Mail to my mate in Australia about him which he still has to this day.

i wouldn’t put Price quite in that bracket, but there were two instances in quick succession where he took the ball on the spin and spread delightful passes out wide. You know you’re watching a proper talent in those moments, it’s just whether he has the additional ammunition to go with it and he looked a decent runner, competitive and a reasonable size and frame.

I’m not sending an e-Mail to Australia but the lad is one to watch.

...yep, remember watching Rooney playing in a Lancashire League U18 game when he was 15, it only took five minutes to know he was special. I went home, sent an e-Mail to my mate in Australia about him which he still has to this day.

i wouldn’t put Price quite in that bracket, but there were two instances in quick succession where he took the ball on the spin and spread delightful passes out wide. You know you’re watching a proper talent in those moments, it’s just whether he has the additional ammunition to go with it and he looked a decent runner, competitive and a reasonable size and frame.

I’m not sending an e-Mail to Australia but the lad is one to watch.

I completely agree mate.
I should have quanitified my point on Rooney a bit more, it wasn't intended that I would put him in the same bracket as Rooney talent wise, more at that age he looks like he truly stands out, poor point on my part.
A player I'll certainly watch with interest though when the opportunity arises.

I thought Iversen was great today. But to be fair, most of the 11 were. None of the three centre backs will make it at Everton, but if scouts were watching today, all three would all have suitors.

I would keep Astley and Anderson for another year. Centre Backs take a little longer to develop. Ouzounidis is the oldest of the three and probably least versatile so I think he should be allowed to leave to make space for Hagan, Kristiensen and Welch. Anderson can play left back so if they want to play Small left wing we still have someone to fill in. Astley I would give him the first half of the season in the u23s and then loan him out and see how he copes in mens football.

Hope Broadhead can find himself a good move in the summer. He looks good enough to be a good player in the championship.
Yes Tim he could have teams after him from the championship, that league is next to the premier league, I just think Nathan could have a chance of making it there, only a feeling, I would like him to get a few minutes off the bench to prove it here.

terrible defending by about 3 of our players for the leeds goal
It reminds me of a goal we scored against City last season , Cannon robbed their CB as they tried to play out from the back and scored. Reece Welch was caught out badly but, shrug the shoulders and learn from it , particularly that midfielders need to be looking for the ball and defenders need to know when to hoof it.

It reminds me of a goal we scored against City last season , Cannon robbed their CB as they tried to play out from the back and scored. Reece Welch was caught out badly but, shrug the shoulders and learn from it , particularly that midfielders need to be looking for the ball and defenders need to know when to hoof it.
He wasn’t getting any Spideysense there was he?