Everton Youth Teams Thread

...as you know, I like Dobbin lots. Some players just look right and he’s one of those. Uncomplicated and efficient.

Physicality is a factor for these kids, especially strikers. What type of size is Cannon?

Looks bigger than Dobbin. Dobbin looks a far clever player, but Cannon's stats are very good. I'd say he was 5 11/6 ft.

Yeah about right I’d say , more powerfully built than Dobbin, not as big as Simms and at 17 we know he’s got a bit more growing to do.

The thing with Simms is he seemed to get a lot of his goes due to his power. In general it makes me nervous, as unless you are Lukaku built, you really lose that advantage moving up up mens football.

Cannon looks to me to have better technique and awareness and is just more natural. Hes well ahead of Simms as an under 17 (but Simms kicked on as an 18).

Dobbin is a real talent, but I'll keep an eye in Cannon and see if he can move up. Ideally if we can get Simms out on loan and Cannon in the reserves it works well.

Looks bigger than Dobbin. Dobbin looks a far clever player, but Cannon's stats are very good. I'd say he was 5 11/6 ft.

...yep, think Cannon’s a decent shape for a striker. I’m sure they’ll be working on his body strength but taking care to let nature take its course as he may still be growing.

Definitely ones to watch next season.

...yep, think Cannon’s a decent shape for a striker. I’m sure they’ll be working on his body strength but taking care to let nature take its course as he may still be growing.

Be nice if one of Simms, Dobbin, Cannon made the grade.

One on one I bet there isn't a better finisher than Simms. Hope he keeps improving on the rest of his game.

He reminds me in build and play of James Vaughan. You know you could just see with Vaughan he knew the movements to make and had a good build to do it. Even with Ellis Simms, who is powerful, at times he still plays within himself a bit.

He reminds me in build and play of James Vaughan. You know you could just see with Vaughan he knew the movements to make and had a good build to do it. Even with Ellis Simms, who is powerful, at times he still plays within himself a bit.

...thats an interesting comparison with Vaughan.

Going back to Ellis Simms and our other Academy strikers in general, I had a quick look at a number of when young forwards who have broken through with us. I think Simms is currently 19 years and 3months:

Wayne Rooney debut @ 16.
James Vaughan @ 16
Franny Jeffers 16
Victor Anichebe 16
Phil Jevons 19yrs 5 months.
Anthony Gordon 18yrs 11mths.

The trend suggests that when we have a very good one, they are involved from an early age.

...thats an interesting comparison with Vaughan.

Going back to Ellis Simms and our other Academy strikers in general, I had a quick look at a number of when young forwards who have broken through with us. I think Simms is currently 19 years and 3months:

Wayne Rooney debut @ 16.
James Vaughan @ 16
Franny Jeffers 16
Victor Anichebe 16
Phil Jevons 19yrs 5 months.

The trend suggests that when we have a very good one, they are involved from an early age.

Have to remember the PL has changed a lot since a lot of those players made debuts. Teams like us have a good enough squad to not feel as forced to debut kids so young (like Anichibe was hardly too good to ignore at 16).

Have to remember the PL has changed a lot since a lot of those players made debuts. Teams like us have a good enough squad to not feel as forced to debut kids so young (like Anichibe was hardly too good to ignore at 16).

....fair point, but the very special ones tend to push through early. Moise Kean made his Juventus debut at 16, DCL had played for Sheffield United before getting games for us at 19.

its just an interesting trend when considering our young attacking players. Stuart Barlow is an exception, but he was still playing Sunday League football at 21.

Last edited:

....fair point, but the very special ones tend to push through early. Moise Kean made his Juventus debut at 16, DCL had played for Sheffield United before getting games for us at 19.

its just an interesting trend when considering our young attacking players. Stuart Barlow is an exception, but he was still playing Sunday League football at 21.

Oh yeh no denying that hence seeing Gordon at 18. Personally, as well documented, I'm not so big on Simms but we're also doing quite well up front with DCL, Rich & Kean so no real surprise we've not seen him yet.

Wasn't Stu Barlow a pioneer of social distancing. Always tried to stay 2 metres away from the ball. Although we have a few players like that now!

Be nice if one of Simms, Dobbin, Cannon made the grade.

One on one I bet there isn't a better finisher than Simms. Hope he keeps improving on the rest of his game.
Simms has done well,started to show it for the u23s now as well, I like Dobbin more than Cannon myself,from the games ive watched Dobbin runs for everything, while Cannon seems to be one of those on the back of the defender and waits for the pass/ball through etc-whatever way lets hope they go further

Interesting watching the Sunderland game on Everton's YouTube channel last night from 1999, not a single overseas player in our starting 11. This just emphasises how difficult for homegrown players to break through in the current era.