Everton Youth Teams Thread

Promising quote from Rhino:

“It will be another rebuild so I’ll tell you around January!” he laughed when asked how his outfit will look next term.

“We obviously can’t get rid of everybody otherwise we wouldn’t have a team but we’ll certainly be a lot younger than we were this year. We were already very young this year as well.”

...these kids look very young. They must be very talented lads but i’m really wary of it all. It’s difficult when you’re a parent because you get carried away when clubs knock at your door.

Ultimately, though, they make it seem like they are doing you a favour. If you have a Rooney, though, they will do anything to get you to sign. I wouldn’t send my kid to Manchester City unless they picked him up from home and paid parents petrol money.

Don’t get carried away, they are merciless in discarding boys. It has to be fun for lads that age. School is most important when you’re a talented child footballer.

The thing City do that is a real differentiator is the schooling mate (private school for your kids until 18, even if they are released). This is a big pull for most parents. If your kid doesn't make it (which most won't, even to the level where they play any kind of professional football) they get a decent education as a result of it.

I'd send my kids to Everton if I had the choice, but as a fall back sending them to City to 18 makes a lot of sense. What I would say is moving on at 18 is probably quite a viable option. You've seen Simms do that with us and Duncan do it with Liverpool. Ourselves, Liverpool and United have a much better record of actually blooding younger players and all will offer very decent packages to 17/8 year old lads. That's City's challenge really.

It sounds quite disloyal but as you say, the clubs (in spite of their rhetoric otherwise) are ruthless with these lads so I sort of thing fair doos if a young lad has the same level of ruthlessness back.

While football is a short career, the window of opportunity where you can go from making enough money to never have to work again and live a wonderful life, to one where you will have to start again at 18/19/20 is even shorter. If I was advising a family member I would really drum that into them. You really can't be too disloyal in such circumstances. Find out quickly if you will be progressed and be given opportunities, if not move on. Also don't be fobbed off with too many endless loans where the club you are going too have little interest in developing you long term.

...these kids look very young. They must be very talented lads but i’m really wary of it all. It’s difficult when you’re a parent because you get carried away when clubs knock at your door.

Ultimately, though, they make it seem like they are doing you a favour. If you have a Rooney, though, they will do anything to get you to sign. I wouldn’t send my kid to Manchester City unless they picked him up from home and paid parents petrol money.

Don’t get carried away, they are merciless in discarding boys. It has to be fun for lads that age. School is most important when you’re a talented child footballer.
From what I have seen over the years talented footballers who are academically bright don’t seem to have the desire to “make it” as it’s not the be all and end all to them whereas those talented footballers who aren’t academical tend to push themselves a bit more.

Realistically are any of these kids going to make the first team? Who are the best prospects? Gibson, Feeney, Simms, Gordon? The rest look as though they’re miles off currently. Not wanting to sound harsh but this crop doesn’t even look as good as the Barkley Ledson Davies Dowell Kenny years.

Realistically are any of these kids going to make the first team? Who are the best prospects? Gibson, Feeney, Simms, Gordon? The rest look as though they’re miles off currently. Not wanting to sound harsh but this crop doesn’t even look as good as the Barkley Ledson Davies Dowell Kenny years.

there is plenty in with a chance with the right coaching, attitude, luck and opportunity ie. gibson, john, gordon, simms, virginia
in 6 months time one or 2 of them could be in the managers thoughts, equally they could be having a crap time on loan in league 1.

there is plenty in with a chance with the right coaching, attitude, luck and opportunity ie. gibson, john, gordon, simms, virginia
in 6 months time one or 2 of them could be in the managers thoughts, equally they could be having a crap time on loan in league 1.

If Jags and Zouma leave the club, id like to see us bring back Holgate but also promote Gibson and Feeney. Could have Mina and Keane as first choice and then 3 junior centrebcks as cover. Would be a way to see if these players are good enough and save some money.

14 of the Leeds squad played both 1st team games and 23s season gone. Watched the game last night and a couple of the younger players really stood out in a very high intensity game. Not sure how much of benchmark this is compared to our situation? Easier to do in the Championship but interesting stat

If Jags and Zouma leave the club, id like to see us bring back Holgate but also promote Gibson and Feeney. Could have Mina and Keane as first choice and then 3 junior centrebcks as cover. Would be a way to see if these players are good enough and save some money.
Not interested in saving money - done it long enough. Let's have 3 top notch centre halves and 1 youngster (best of the bunch) to challenge. Holgate for me is rb or nothing.