Everton Youth Teams Thread

Yeh I know but he's playing as a right back so probably unfair to the players actually playing centre back.
Still doesn't alter the fact that none of the current CBs have his experience in that position or, in my opinion, are as good as him.

Mason has 38 games under his belt in the premier league against some of the best attacking players in the world. He has another 30+ games in the championship. He also has tournament experience at this level from the last euros.

Fry has 49 games in the championship. Konsa 33. Tomori 58. And Clarke-Salter has 11 in the championship and a further 12 in Holland.

By all accounts he should be first CB on the list. Boothroyd has even picked an extended squad of 26 for these games and he still can't make it in.

Something doesn't sit right mate.

Still doesn't alter the fact that none of the current CBs have his experience in that position or, in my opinion, are as good as him.

Mason has 38 games under his belt in the premier league against some of the best attacking players in the world. He has another 30+ games in the championship. He also has tournament experience at this level from the last euros.

Fry has 49 games in the championship. Konsa 33. Tomori 58. And Clarke-Salter has 11 in the championship and a further 12 in Holland.

By all accounts he should be first CB on the list. Boothroyd has even picked an extended squad of 26 for these games and he still can't make it in.

Something doesn't sit right mate.

Little bit unfair to drop the players Boothroyd has consistently used throughout qualifying right on the eve of a major tournament though.

It’s like going into the U21 tournament and bringing Dele Alli in just because he’s eligible.

I don’t see any conspiracy here, we moan enough about not giving youngsters a chance , fact is there are decent , younger players who should be ahead of Holgate even if he is eligible.
I missed this bit before.

I don't agree at all with this. In my opinion Holgate is better than all the players I listed in the post above and has more experience. There are older players than him in the squad too. Demarai Gray for one.

Little bit unfair to drop the players Boothroyd has consistently used throughout qualifying right on the eve of a major tournament though.

It’s like going into the U21 tournament and bringing Dele Alli in just because he’s eligible.
The question is why hasn't he been in the squad for those other games though. ? He's been available for nearly all of them/

And I'd also wager Hudson-Odoi makes the squad and he's never even played at that level before. And I'm sure Reiss Nelson only played in one of the qualifiers. Would that be unfair if they both went.

The question is why hasn't he been in the squad for those other games though. ? He's been available for nearly all of them/

And I'd also wager Hudson-Odoi makes the squad and he's never even played at that level before. And I'm sure Reiss Nelson only played in one of the qualifiers. Would that be unfair if they both went.

Nelson has played the last 4 games for them. Hudson-Odoi won’t go. The squad just picked will go.

Usual 5 lads in the U21 squad for the upcoming games against Germany and Poland. Despite proving himself in the championship Mason Holgate is once more overlooked. This has to be a backlash from his twitter comments as a 14 yo.

....I see a clear strategy of trying to keep as many of the World Cup winning team as possible. Also, they clearly think there are players ahead of Holgate in the queue. Kenny is ahead of him in the pecking order at Everton and the young lad at Palace is another.

I missed this bit before.

I don't agree at all with this. In my opinion Holgate is better than all the players I listed in the post above and has more experience. There are older players than him in the squad too. Demarai Gray for one.
I’m not going to get into a twist believing there’s a conspiracy theory, if you chose to do so then we clearly disagree , fair enough. Similarly with Demarai Gray and older players , he and Holgate in my view will gain little by remaining as older players with the u21, their careers now will depend on their performance at club level , let the younger players have their chance.
That’s it from me on this topic.

Incredible that Allardyce never played him after that (from memory)...he had a good game as well!!

Well Wan-Bissaka is in so fair enough!!

Heres the squad

Goalkeepers : Freddie Woodman (Newcastle United), Angus Gunn (Southampton), Dean Henderson (Sheffield United, on loan from Manchester United)
Defenders: Jake Clarke-Salter (Vitesse, on loan from Chelsea), Jay Dasilva (Bristol City, on loan from Chelsea), Dael Fry (Middlesbrough), Lloyd Kelly (Bristol City), Jonjoe Kenny (Everton), Ezri Konsa (Brentford), Fikayo Tomori (Derby County, on loan from Chelsea), Kyle Walker-Peters (Tottenham Hotspur), Aaron Wan-Bissaka (Crystal Palace)
Midfielders: Harvey Barnes (Leicester City), Hamza Choudhury (Leicester City), Tom Davies (Everton), Kieran Dowell (Sheffield United, on loan from Everton), Phil Foden (Manchester City), James Maddison (Leicester City), Ryan Sessegnon (Fulham)
Forwards: Tammy Abraham (Aston Villa, on loan from Chelsea), Dominic Calvert-Lewin (Everton), Demarai Gray (Leicester City), Callum Hudson-Odoi (Chelsea), Ademola Lookman (Everton), Reiss Nelson (Hoffenheim, on loan from Arsenal), Dominic Solanke (AFC Bournemouth)
Remarkable how many Chelsea players in the squad who are not actually playing for Chelsea at present.

I’m not going to get into a twist believing there’s a conspiracy theory, if you chose to do so then we clearly disagree , fair enough. Similarly with Demarai Gray and older players , he and Holgate in my view will gain little by remaining as older players with the u21, their careers now will depend on their performance at club level , let the younger players have their chance.
That’s it from me on this topic.
Fair enough. Not often we disagree in fairness.

As regards the older players, I would fully agree had they moved on to the full squad like Chilwell, Alexander-Arnold and Sancho. But when that hasn't happened I think they should have the opportunity to represent their country in their own age group, provided they're good enough of course.

At club level I agree that we should have the players development as the priority over winning trophies, and have been critical of Unsworth in particular this year as I believe he's been guilty of this. But I love watching International youth football and I want our England team, and in particular the Everton lads, to do well. To do that we need our best players there.

....I see a clear strategy of trying to keep as many of the World Cup winning team as possible. Also, they clearly think there are players ahead of Holgate in the queue. Kenny is ahead of him in the pecking order at Everton and the young lad at Palace is another.
I agree with you re keeping the world cup players together Eggs. And I was talking more about Holgate the CB than Holgate the FB.

Anyway, its clear I'm in a minority of one here so probably best if I just leave it there I think.;)

Nelson has played the last 4 games for them. Hudson-Odoi won’t go. The squad just picked will go.
We arguing again Nymz?. I haven't posted much in this forum lately but good to see some things don't change.lol

I think you'll find that 2 of those games Nelson played in were friendlies. Of the 2 qualifiers, from memory he came on as a late sub in one and started the second. So yeah, he played one and a bit qualifiers then. And Hudson-Odoi has been named in the squad just picked.

We arguing again Nymz?. I haven't posted much in this forum lately but good to see some things don't change.lol

I think you'll find that 2 of those games Nelson played in were friendlies. Of the 2 qualifiers, from memory he came on as a late sub in one and started the second. So yeah, he played one and a bit qualifiers then. And Hudson-Odoi has been named in the squad just picked.

I like Holgate loads, you know I do, I’m just not surprised he’s not in the squad and I also don’t think the team will be less successful without him.

I like Holgate loads, you know I do, I’m just not surprised he’s not in the squad and I also don’t think the team will be less successful without him.
Oh I agree. I just think there's something not right. Maybe I'm wrong about the tweet thing and it could just be a falling out between him and Boothroyd. He did disappear from that first squad for the qualifiers. Maybe he wasn't injured after all and it was a fallout or some sort of discipline issue.

Anyway, as I told Eggs there's nothing to be had from me labouring the point so best to leave it there.