Everton Youth Teams Thread

My only problem with the team selected was Charsley at left back. Its unlikely he's going to be retained so for his and the teams benefit surely he should be playing in his best position and maybe an u18 tried out. Other than that it was encouraging to see Simms and John in the team and Iversen and Gordon coming on. Use them in the Youth Cup but the rest of the time they should be in and around the u23 team.
I think we’ve agreed on this before re Charsley, interestingly I had differing thoughts while watching the game. At about 60 mins we had four 17 year olds on the pitch, who did reasonably well. But the people holding the team together were the experienced players, Feeney, Evans , Browning, Broadhead, Charsley. It’s hard to make a a case that the last three , maybe Evans too, will make it with us, but they are still needed because of their experience. That’s the dilemma , too many young players and we lose the balance , we need the more experienced players to allow the young players to develop , getting that balance right is not easy.

..we have struggled against the foreign teams at this level. I think last season Unsworth said foreign clubs play open age football at this stage and it makes a big difference. If that is the case, I wonder why there isn’t more of a push for the old Central League system, and I also wonder why we keep our better players largely ring-fenced in their own age group.
The point was made in the commentary that Bayern players play in a kind of “B” league in Germany which I think was open age and also they had a 32 year old defender playing who was there to guide the younger players, so comparatively our opponents were relatively experienced. Sorry I can’t add to that , the commentary was so disjointed in the first you couldn’t hear it properly. :-(

I think we’ve agreed on this before re Charsley, interestingly I had differing thoughts while watching the game. At about 60 mins we had four 17 year olds on the pitch, who did reasonably well. But the people holding the team together were the experienced players, Feeney, Evans , Browning, Broadhead, Charsley. It’s hard to make a a case that the last three , maybe Evans too, will make it with us, but they are still needed because of their experience. That’s the dilemma , too many young players and we lose the balance , we need the more experienced players to allow the young players to develop , getting that balance right is not easy.

I just feel putting him out of position is not helping him as he is unlikely to play there when he finds a club. He reminds me of Osman best position 8 or 10 can do a job on the wing. The experienced players are important which is why I'd play the first teamers who currently aren't getting a kick. Feeney needs a loan as he is probably too good to learn anymore from this level. Evans and Broadhead I like but maybe also need a loan as they are stalling. Browning such a shame he got injuries he did but its time for him to move on. I would love to see him get back in the Premier League as I think he's good enough. Would nearly be tempted to keep him as a 4th choice. I don't think there is much to choose between him Pennington and Holgate.

A proposal for an American style 'draft' system for League 1 and 2 clubs.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46559442
Pure and utter madness
Can you imagine a skilled and technical young player being sent to a team scalping by for league 2 survival
He’d be kicked from one of the pitch to the other as long balls are sent the length of the pitch both ways
Peterbo just want cheap players

The game between Everton u23s home tomorrow v Derby u23s 12.30ko is now NOT be shown LIVE on there website,for whatever reason [maybe because its now behind closed doors with the ground change?], win put us top v the current leaders though

Yes I thought this game was ideal for James McCarthy to play in, help the youngsters and get some valuable playing time.