Everton Youth Teams Thread

A disappointing result at 1-4 didn’t deserve to lose by that score , just let it slip away in the last 20 mins, too clinical for us while we didn’t finish the chances we created. Final killer ball into the box was always lacking. We had four 17 year olds playing the last 30 minutes so that bodes well and all gave good accounts of themselves, particularly Kyle John and Simms, Gordon look sharp when he came on and Iversen was steady. Good experience for these four against an older side and I would hope they all move up together to the U23s come January. Excellent comments from Paul Tait. I think he said Kyle John had been given a pro contract this week, so it looks like they are starting to sort the contracts out.

FINAL SCORE - EVERTON U23S 1 BAYERN MUNICH 4

INTERNATIONAL CUP TABLE

BRIGHTON 4 POINTS FROM 2 GAMES - Scored 4/con 2 - GD PLUS 2
EVERTON 4 POINTS FROM 3 GAMES - Scored 5/con 6 - GD MINUS 1
BAYERN MUNICH 3 POINTS FROM 1 GAME - Scored 4/con 1 -GD PLUS 3
BENFICA 0 POINTS FROM 2 GAMES
- Scored 0/con 4 -GD MINUS 6

no other games scheduled for Everton yet in this comp as group needs to catch up before any are said

As stated earlier, it was good to see our four 17 year olds showing up well last night. I was pleased with Simms’ performance, he made the step up to U23s very well. His individual play was sound , he controlled the ball withhis back to goal and laid it off to others, used his strength to hold off defenders and got in a couple of decent shots. You can see he’s still got a lot to learn re his positioning at times , the space he gets at u18 just wasn’t there last night as he was playing against older more experienced players than he is used to. Getting the timing of his runs and the positions he runs into against tight defences is something that can be worked on . His ability to fight for balls in the air also needs to be improved for someone his size and I’m not sure if he’s got the pace of DCL .
It was also good that Unsworth gave him the whole 90 mins even though he was tiring near the end. For me , just on this one game, he’s placed himself right in contention to lead the U23s in January , certainly ahead of Mampala, probably share the role with Sambou and Hornby when he returns. I’d give him a firm 7/10 , a decent performance that caught the eye without being outstanding, with plenty of aspects to be worked on.

As stated earlier, it was good to see our four 17 year olds showing up well last night. I was pleased with Simms’ performance, he made the step up to U23s very well. His individual play was sound , he controlled the ball withhis back to goal and laid it off to others, used his strength to hold off defenders and got in a couple of decent shots. You can see he’s still got a lot to learn re his positioning at times , the space he gets at u18 just wasn’t there last night as he was playing against older more experienced players than he is used to. Getting the timing of his runs and the positions he runs into against tight defences is something that can be worked on . His ability to fight for balls in the air also needs to be improved for someone his size and I’m not sure if he’s got the pace of DCL .
It was also good that Unsworth gave him the whole 90 mins even though he was tiring near the end. For me , just on this one game, he’s placed himself right in contention to lead the U23s in January , certainly ahead of Mampala, probably share the role with Sambou and Hornby when he returns. I’d give him a firm 7/10 , a decent performance that caught the eye without being outstanding, with plenty of aspects to be worked on.
How did Virginia perform in Goal
Is he capable of replacing Steks

How did Virginia perform in Goal
Is he capable of replacing Steks
Yeah he was competent enough, I don’t think he could be blamed for any of the goals. He’s clearly our No 3 GK, ahead of Hewelt, but I wouldn’t like to see him pushed forward too early to our bench without some more exposure to men’s football - I could see him getting battered by the likes of Fellani or Kane. So he certainly looks like he could develop into our no 2 , but needs game time and exposure rather than warming the bench in PL.

My lad went the game last night he said in the second half there was one fella who shouted get him off he's s...e about Evans, and another one of short it out rhino this is crap.

My only problem with the team selected was Charsley at left back. Its unlikely he's going to be retained so for his and the teams benefit surely he should be playing in his best position and maybe an u18 tried out. Other than that it was encouraging to see Simms and John in the team and Iversen and Gordon coming on. Use them in the Youth Cup but the rest of the time they should be in and around the u23 team.

A disappointing result at 1-4 didn’t deserve to lose by that score , just let it slip away in the last 20 mins, too clinical for us while we didn’t finish the chances we created. Final killer ball into the box was always lacking. We had four 17 year olds playing the last 30 minutes so that bodes well and all gave good accounts of themselves, particularly Kyle John and Simms, Gordon look sharp when he came on and Iversen was steady. Good experience for these four against an older side and I would hope they all move up together to the U23s come January. Excellent comments from Paul Tait. I think he said Kyle John had been given a pro contract this week, so it looks like they are starting to sort the contracts out.

..we have struggled against the foreign teams at this level. I think last season Unsworth said foreign clubs play open age football at this stage and it makes a big difference. If that is the case, I wonder why there isn’t more of a push for the old Central League system, and I also wonder why we keep our better players largely ring-fenced in their own age group.

..we have struggled against the foreign teams at this level. I think last season Unsworth said foreign clubs play open age football at this stage and it makes a big difference. If that is the case, I wonder why there isn’t more of a push for the old Central League system, and I also wonder why we keep our better players largely ring-fenced in their own age group.

Given the game time they have had recently I would have played Kenny, Holgate, Baningime, Davies and Dowell against these as it would perhaps given more of an idea where they are at. We've been slightly unlucky in that all 3 of our left sided defenders are injured so we have had to make do.