Everton Youth Teams Thread

UNFATHOMABLE that he has a job with us...

....it is interesting that all of our recent youth coaches appear to have been ex-Everton players. I can think of; Sheedy, Ferguson, Unsworth, Tait, Jevons, Ebbrell, Jeffers. Our youth teams are doing ok but I wonder if it’s all a bit too parochial. Coaches should be appointed on their coaching ability, it’s a bit odd that these have all represented Everton.

Last edited:
can see a repeat of this in a couple of weeks with the first team
and this game is making vlasic look terrible making it more likely hell stay with the u23s, not that he should be there in the first place
If he looks terrible with the u23s I'm not sure why you think he should be promoted to the first team... If he's the player a lot of people are making out then he should shine at that level.

....it is interesting that all of our recent youth coaches appear to have been ex-Everton players. I can think of; Sheedy, Ferguson, Unsworth, Tait, Jevons, Ebbrell, Jeffers. Our youth teams are doing ok but I wonder if it’s all a bit too parochial. Coaches should be appointed on their coaching ability, it’s a bit odd that these have all represented Everton.
And you could add Alan Stubbs and Alan Irvine to that list , both in their time with us looked good, particularly Irvine who was noted for being innovative.
You would have to believe that Jeffers is just a temporary option whatever happens with Unsworth . Unsy has Ebbrell alongside him so I wonder who is assisting Jeffers. At some time Unsy will move on , and I agree with what you’re saying about it becoming a bit parochial so given that we have a policy now of spending money on young players for the U23s it would make sense to try to attract a young up and coming coach to the job in future. The problem could be though that we are parochial right through the system , not always a bad thing, and any outsider coming in as U23s or Academy Manager may have a difficult time implementing his own ideas.

And you could add Alan Stubbs and Alan Irvine to that list , both in their time with us looked good, particularly Irvine who was noted for being innovative.
You would have to believe that Jeffers is just a temporary option whatever happens with Unsworth . Unsy has Ebbrell alongside him so I wonder who is assisting Jeffers. At some time Unsy will move on , and I agree with what you’re saying about it becoming a bit parochial so given that we have a policy now of spending money on young players for the U23s it would make sense to try to attract a young up and coming coach to the job in future. The problem could be though that we are parochial right through the system , not always a bad thing, and any outsider coming in as U23s or Academy Manager may have a difficult time implementing his own ideas.

..I imagine the strategy is set by the DoF. The training, team management and relationship building is with the coaches. I just think it’s a bit parochial to only have ex-Everton players in the set up. We want the very best coaches to set the standards.

Last edited:
i only seen the 1st half and while liverpool were the better team it was quite end to end and we had some great chances to score.

Thanks for that. I've seen the U23s a few times this season and, despite some good results, they're nowhere near last years team at the moment. Last year we had a settled team which had basically gown up together, plus Niasse, whereas this year we're bedding in a lot of new players either from U18s or outside. Only Beni and Feeney have really impressed me, although Foulds is much improved. Of the new players, Adeniran's done the best with Bowler showing promise. I like the glimpses I've seen of Gibson and Lavery and would like to see Hornby given a run of games.

Saturday, it looks as though we gave match practice to some players in preparation for playing them on Thursday - doesn't look as though they approached their 'demotion' with the same attitude as Niasse did during his exile.

..I imagine the strategy is set by the DoF, the training, team management and relationship building is with the coaches. I just think it’s a bit parochial to only have ex-Everton players in the set up. We want the very best coaches to set the standards.
Whilst I agree with you Eggs, I dont believe it to be an intentional strategy on our part. I just think its a case of the club giving ex players an opportunity.

Would be good to see us look further afield now and again though.

Thanks for that. I've seen the U23s a few times this season and, despite some good results, they're nowhere near last years team at the moment. Last year we had a settled team which had basically gown up together, plus Niasse, whereas this year we're bedding in a lot of new players either from U18s or outside. Only Beni and Feeney have really impressed me, although Foulds is much improved. Of the new players, Adeniran's done the best with Bowler showing promise. I like the glimpses I've seen of Gibson and Lavery and would like to see Hornby given a run of games.

Saturday, it looks as though we gave match practice to some players in preparation for playing them on Thursday - doesn't look as though they approached their 'demotion' with the same attitude as Niasse did during his exile.

everytime besic plays for the u23s hes looked the worst player on the pitch, pretty similar to his 1st team performances actually!

Everton u18s score an injury time winner via GORDON AND WIN 2-1 v bottom of the table and winless Newcastle and we move up to 3rd place,WE ARE 3 points behind top placed man utd,and 1 point behind 2nd placed man city who have 2 games in hand on us,man utd play man city next week

Evertons next u18s league game is away to 2nd bottom Blackburn next sat morning at 11am,

I think what would be good is if the 1st team had a clear identity and strategy (with other secondary options) then this is the same all the way through the club...like Ajax for example would do. Then its a lot easier for the coaches who all follow one primary style but switch if its not working in a game..i think some former players would make good coaches (like unsworth) but cant see how Jeffers could ever be a coach...just bewilders me...I don't know him but from things ive heard over the years hes not exactly praised for being a mastermind...

Id like us to have a couple of highly regarded foreign coaches in and mix it up a little bit with them training things alien to us.

If he looks terrible with the u23s I'm not sure why you think he should be promoted to the first team... If he's the player a lot of people are making out then he should shine at that level.

Some players perform better around different players...put a star playmaker in a team for example and if his teammates cant read his passes then he will look hopeless...vlasic has a lot of flicks and tricks...perhaps they just don't come off with certain players.