Match Thread Everton vs West Ham United - Preview, Match Report & MotM Poll

Everton Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
We must have insanity on this website. Above: Onana 7 votes for Man of the match, he even insisted on staying on the pitch with an injury.
" Gana 120 votes.........for Christs sake what's going on.

Just a little thought on the match yesterday. Thought that there was a lot of fiddley tip tippy football from us out on the left wing. Would love to see us being more direct. Being quicker. Get the ball into the box sharper.
And there was the problem. A number of times when attacking , there was no real presence in the box. A returning Dominic Calvert-Lewin should fix that problem. Maupay feeding off Dominic Calvert-Lewin,just might do the trick. And I know that this is not for everyone , but even yesterday , Maupay feeding off Rondon , might just have given West Ham more to think about.
So that’s my thinking. When Dominic Calvert-Lewin is back , keep Maupay alongside him. We need more fire power up front. We need more fire power brought in , in January also.
Who makes way for Dominic Calvert-Lewin? On yesterdays showing , sorry folks , but I’d drop Gordon. Anyhow, not rocket science, everyone has said it, we need more goals. Then I think we have a team. We are clearly better than last season.
And please Mr. Lampard , no more back 5. And no more Coleman and Keane.
But for now it’s all about the 3 points. Makes everything look just that wee bit better. Up the Toffees.
Ps. Would love to see us also have a few shots from outside the box. We don’t score many from distance. So come on Everton. Try a few shots from distance. Rant now over.

Gordon was not good yesterday. I want him to move into being a regular high class player, but his distribution had me groaning. I agree he may have to give way if DCL is back.

Completely agree with Trinity on need to be direct....that is how we got the goal. Tippy tippy then back to the keeper had me tearing my hair out.

You’d think we spanked them today. We won because they were pretty toothless up front, but still hit the woodwork. I’d bet they’ll finish above us this season.
Apart from % possession we were behind in shots, shots on target and way behind on corners.

Frank knows we need to improve loads before getting carried away.

You’d think we spanked them today. We won because they were pretty toothless up front, but still hit the woodwork. I’d bet they’ll finish above us this season.

They were unlucky with the woodwork, as we have been unlucky with offside calls v Leeds/Liverpool. But they were toothless up top because we nullified them. We lost to a lot of toothless teams last season, and gave them goals.

They're a decent team. Have spent 200m. The fact it's a debate shows we are making progress and will be nowhere near teh relegation zone if we keep the same performance level up.

Apart from % possession we were behind in shots, shots on target and way behind on corners.

Frank knows we need to improve loads before getting carried away.

Again from today's Guardian:

Moyes admitted his side played poorly, adding that Everton were not much better. The home side were dreadful in the first half but West Ham could not improve against a team there for the taking.

I just do not see it. Did WH play "better?"

My eye test says no, although there were a few nervy moments, WH hit the post, and we visibly tired at the end, I think we played at least as well.

Let's look at some numbers. Right off the top these all need to be taken with a huge grain of salt, they are not dispositive, etc. but they are tools to supplement what we see when we watch 90 minutes. So a blanket disclaimer here.

xG had it Everton (0.43) 1-0 (1.43) West Ham, reflecting that Maupay's strike was real quality, ie a low-probablility shot that he converted; that we did not muster a whole lot otherwise; and that WH, for all of their shots and SOG superiority, didn't really do much more than that - +1 xG with a 14-7 shot advantage is not terrific.

whoscored.com had it decisively in Everton's favor. As always it's annoying that they put the blue team in red.

1663597116486.png

Look at the stats along the bottom and other than shots and corners there's some great signs for Everton in there. If you play with some of the individual stats what jumps out at you is that Myko and Gordon, who both seemed to have subpar games from the eye test, did a fantastic job shutting down their right, especially Bowen; that Iwobi, Gana, and Onana were excellent in midfield - Onana was dominant in the air, winning 6 duels when no one WH player had more than two; and the lopsided dribbles number showed an advantage in keeping the ball and getting forward without having to string together passes.

so there's support for the position that WH were "better," but I just reject out of hand the idea that we were bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.