Match Thread Everton v Watford - Preview, Match Report and MotM Poll

Everton Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
think Walcott needs to relax, looks like he’s putting himself under too much pressure, he’s been decent this season more or less but seems to be panicking in and around the box, I actually thought if we were a bit more ruthless in the first half we’d have been ok, better side in first half, Watford better side second, thought both sets of players looked devastated at the final whistle, hope Silva has the psychological side of management covered because it might be a while yet before we see another win...

Walcott is the most frustrating as every game he will do two-three this game that should lead in um to a clear chance, then doesn't pick his head up or tries to do too much I stead of the Simone thing, be it laying a simple pass off or missing a sitter, Lookman isn't the answer as frankly he just doesn't get j to those positions that Walcott dies due to Walcott being a different type of player.

DCL, tosun, both nowhere near the standard needed, and neither suits the system we use, Lookman is all tricks no end product and for the system it's him or Bernard as other side you need a player who stretches and goes past the last man like Walcott dies, but one with a brain.

I'd also add cokeman is looking more and more a weak link mate, not helped by the right side forward not being of the calibre as the right also. But Coleman's having more off games these days than good, and its noticeable that he no longer seems to be able to beat a man or get back at one with pace. Dunno if once it goes you can ever get that yard of pace back, and without it, he goes from.being one of the in the league to a average one.
Walcott is offering nothing at all. Whenever he’s in a good position he loses the ball. Bernard hasn’t been great but at least he shows some creativity at times.

Phew.....hard fought point. I had to stop watching and my lad left the pub just to hear muted cheers go up just as he left. Christ we make every little thing hard sodding work.

missed the match
/heard we were kind of lucky to get a pt
//who are we tapping up from Watford in January?

Disappointing performance and result.
The two goals we conceded were dreadful. Unprofessional and lack of concentration for 2nd goal. To be fair the equaliser was coming, but to then concede a 2nd goal like that was poor. Then a missed pen.
Great finish by Digne, so we got a point. But 2 draws from those home fixtures isn't good enough with City away then Spurs at home. Need a win to get back on track.

Walcott is offering nothing at all. Whenever he’s in a good position he loses the ball. Bernard hasn’t been great but at least he shows some creativity at times.

Bernard does a huge amount of our pressing and constantly helps out digne on that side mate, he's also created more chances than pretty much anyone else in the league this season despite missing the early part of the season, problem is when players are missing those chances then people start thinking Bernards not doing enough cos granite getting assists etc.

With Walcott, attacking wise he offers something we need which is pace and runs in behind, problem is though he can't finish and never looks up otherwise he'd have about 7-8 goals and assists this year. You need what Walcott offers in the good parts of his game but a player who also doesnt have the same flaws. The rs much as I hate saying it has two of them, one on either side.

Walcott is the most frustrating as every game he will do two-three this game that should lead in um to a clear chance, then doesn't pick his head up or tries to do too much I stead of the Simone thing, be it laying a simple pass off or missing a sitter, Lookman isn't the answer as frankly he just doesn't get j to those positions that Walcott dies due to Walcott being a different type of player.

DCL, tosun, both nowhere near the standard needed, and neither suits the system we use, Lookman is all tricks no end product and for the system it's him or Bernard as other side you need a player who stretches and goes past the last man like Walcott dies, but one with a brain.

I'd also add cokeman is looking more and more a weak link mate, not helped by the right side forward not being of the calibre as the right also. But Coleman's having more off games these days than good, and its noticeable that he no longer seems to be able to beat a man or get back at one with pace. Dunno if once it goes you can ever get that yard of pace back, and without it, he goes from.being one of the in the league to a average one.

Thats a fair assessment. I am not going to slag Coleman off for either goal today, but what I will be critical of him and Walcott was the carelessness in possession in an awful spell after half time.

There was one incident, where Coleman could move forward with the ball, he's about 35 into our half, or play the ball forward. He turns back and play a bit of a hospital ball back to Pickford/Keane (who I have to say don't deal with it well). Things like that in football give the opposition a massive boost.

Likewise in the lead up to their goal, Walcott is trying stupid flicks and gives the ball away. He should have more game knowledge to know, having been on the back foot for 20 minutes you protect the ball there. You get a throw on, or a free kick or clip a ball down the line and get out. It's not the time for a silly flick.

The one positive (which is hard to take post the derby) is that there is a very clear divide (minus a couple of players such as Pickford) between the players we signed in the summer and the players who were here before. Maybe it's an extraordinary lucky window, or more likely the fella Brands knows what he's doing. More players will be needed.

The fortunate thing is, many of the players we are discussing moving on are no longer the Mirallas/Williams/Martina level where you can't give them away. They are decent PL players and we should get reasonable fees for them which can be reinvested, I think in the medium term we will see that.

I don't want to write lads off and I don't see much point in a fire sale in January. People should be given the benefit of the doubt, but you are probably right on the list. I suspect a lot of these las may go come the summer. It's sad, but I think Brands has shown enough for us to know he can find replacements for reasonable fees, so I can see that being the way it will go.

I also think Lookman may go in January. The link to Bernard is fair, but Bernard is much more consistent in his play and much better defensively. If we can get £20+ million for Lookman (which I suspect we will) it might be sensible to take the cash in January.

First of all, Watford played well, they aren't a bad side. Second of all, it would really be helpful to have someone a bit better up front to hold up the ball now and then. I know Marco wants to build from the back and spring his outside backs forward, but it's not really happening right now. The decision making isn't the best, either, we still give it away too easily. Thought our central midfield was good initially, Gomes pushed up higher with Gana playing back, but then Watford definitely took it to us, won balls, exploited the space, and they had more options up front with a lot more physicality.

Status
Not open for further replies.