Match Thread Everton v Tottenham Hotspur - Preview, Match Report and MotM Poll

Everton Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
That was more like it, more than a bit of fight throughout the team. Holgate however, during his short time on the pitch, tried to undo all the good work and it was probably a blessing he got the red card before he scored an own goal.
I went for Allan as my MoM, I thought he was outstanding.
Was it a penalty for Richie? The referee thought so at first and I definitely thought so but it wasn't given. But putting that to one side, why did he blow for a penalty so quickly if he wasn't certain, why not let Richie carry on as he had the ball? And having reversed the penalty decision that he originally made, why did he give the ball to Spurs? Typical PL referee performance that we have come to know and loathe. There are no decent ones I'm afraid.
This

What a joke VAr has turned out to be.
When the ref blew this whistle with Richarlison in advantage, he can't go back on that decision, surely?
Its the refs fault if he made the wrong call and VAr shouldn't have even been considered in this case.
Delph's brilliant tackle was rewarded with a yellow by this fraud and yet technology is not allowed to rescind the yellow card, the lack of decision has now incorrectly affected the balance of fair play.
Holberg was body checking all over the place, but its not taken into account what would have happened if Holgate lent forward through the ball, likely it Holberg who gets the red. Inexperience from Holgate, deserved caution in leaning back as well, but the thuggery of Holberg is not picked up. Was it Holberg on Digne earlier on? Not a thing going for us yet Var should at least be a correcting influence on the ref's bias, apparently no such deal for some

Last edited:

That was more like it, more than a bit of fight throughout the team. Holgate however, during his short time on the pitch, tried to undo all the good work and it was probably a blessing he got the red card before he scored an own goal.
I went for Allan as my MoM, I thought he was outstanding.
Was it a penalty for Richie? The referee thought so at first and I definitely thought so but it wasn't given. But putting that to one side, why did he blow for a penalty so quickly if he wasn't certain, why not let Richie carry on as he had the ball? And having reversed the penalty decision that he originally made, why did he give the ball to Spurs? Typical PL referee performance that we have come to know and loathe. There are no decent ones I'm afraid.

In law its a 100% penalty, Lloris tripped Richarlison in a careless manner when challenging for the ball. But it's one of those football things, seemingly even more this season that a penalty won't be given if the player gets something on the ball, espeicaly the keeper in that situation. But it makes an absolute mockery of "clear and obvious", it ain't clear and obvious if you have to spend 2 minutes checking to see if the keeper got a minute touch on the ball with his fingertips.

They said they didn't want VAR to re-referee the game but thats exactly what they're doing when they overturn penalties like this. Should be changed from clear and obvious to something like for all penalties the VAR will check and what they deem the right decision, regardless of what the ref gives. But they undoubtedly like the ambiguity of clear and obvious.

As for the restart, as crap as it is, a drop ball for the goalkeeper is the correct way to do it.

The club should put out a public statement saying they're demanding an explanation from PGMOL as to why the pen wasn't given.

I think my biggest takeaway is that when you build pretty much the entire attack around having a striker who can attack crosses at a high level you have to have some kind of plan B in the form of a backup or someone who can create a different way. We've got neither and it makes it hard to score. A few balls that went in today DCL turns threatening.

Status
Not open for further replies.