Match Thread EVERTON V SOUTHAMPTON Match thread, Report and MotM Poll

Everton Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I really don't understand this modern trend of resting players for cup games. It's not as if we are chasing top 4, we're not going to get relegated and I'd rather win either of the cups than finish anywhere from 5th to 17th. Play your best team and at least give it a go.

And tonight my friends is the reason why we've never won the League Cup.
Too many of our managers think it's not worth bothering with and will do anything to not play a full strength team.
Why would you not play Pickford in a game that is highly likely to go to penalties?
I'm a fan of Marco but he should be thoroughly ashamed of himself for 'resting' too many of our best players tonight.
Momentum and morale count for an awful lot in football.

Meh, there we go. That team was good enough. I'm not going to blame Silva. The same who moaned about a rested team would have cursed him had he stated someone like richarlison and he then got injured "in a meaningless game".

We have a good squad and we tried to use it, it just went wrong.

Sensible post.

Is there anyone who seriously believes that Schneiderlin, Tosun or Davies bring ANYTHING to our team, or give us supporters any feelings other than excruciating pain whilst pulling our fingernails or hair out in absolute frustration?

If so, please stand up. They are absolutely useless, probably 3 of the worst players I have ever seen in an Everton shirt since I started following the Blues in 1969. I can guarantee you this, If, and its a BIG if, we ever win anything again as a club - these three players will be nowhere near our once proud football club.

Blues, NSNO. Are we really pining our hope on this quality of player? Surely not.

Voted Stek as he saved a penalty. FFS.

Is there anyone who seriously believes that Schneiderlin, Tosun or Davies bring ANYTHING to our team, or give us supporters any feelings other than excruciating pain whilst pulling our fingernails or hair out in absolute frustration?

If so, please stand up. They are absolutely useless, probably 3 of the worst players I have ever seen in an Everton shirt since I started following the Blues in 1969. I can guarantee you this, If, and its a BIG if, we ever win anything again as a club - these three players will be nowhere near our once proud football club.

Blues, NSNO. Are we really pining our hope on this quality of player? Surely not.

Voted Stek as he saved a penalty. FFS.

Um no.

EDIT - Woudn't mind Schneiderlin going and Davies going out on loan though.

Not won at Goodison since 1997, says it all. Just for once go and try to win this cup, some of my earliest memories are of 77 and Bob, Lyons and Duncan McKenzie some of these lads aren't fit to lace the boots. Sorry an all that but NSNO!

How can a club our size go into a season with Tosun/DCL/Niasse as our strikers?...that is shocking. Don't want to hear anyone tell me how good Tosun is ever again. Hes useless.If you're going to be that slow, you better win most of your aerial duels. Except he doesn't ever win aerial duels in the box and basically does nothing all game. I've lost count how many sitters he has missed this season. Schneiderat is the same useless player and Davies kills every attack we have. Bernard should play every week and we need to now adopt a fluid front three, whether we put Rich or Walcott up the middle, we need a front three of bernard-rich-walcott. When Gana doesn't play its so easy to see how much he carries davies in the midfield.

I couldn`t agree more mate and it`d be much more exciting too.

The FA cup has gone the same way, completely devalued by the Champions League.

It's utter madness, the cup competitions used to be a massive deal then everything changed when the money in the game started increasing and the ripped up the European formats by eliminating one competition to expand the other two

Another missed opportunity. Two Finals in the last 28 years. That's it. I just cannot fathom why we have managers who continually treat this competition with disdain. We've never won it, it's an early route into Europe and every club who wins it (even the supposed big boys) goes absolutely crazy celebrating on the day. We're hardly in a position to pick and choose which competitions we take seriously. It was the day before my 21st Birthday when we last won a cup. I'm 45 next birthday. FFS.

Looking at it from Silva's point of view, might he be looking at how our managers are judged and what will constitute success for him?

Remember Martinez's final year here and how much good did reaching an FA cup semi do Martinez?

He was judged on his abysmal displays in the league in his final year here.

Martinez's side, 12th in the Premier League, were beaten 3-1 by champions Leicester on the Saturday and lost 3-0 at Sunderland on the Wednesday just before he got the bullet

However importantly we had had cup runs and lost in the semi-finals of the FA Cup and League Cup that season.

He was judged entirely on the league having completed his third year here, the cup runs made no difference whatsoever.

Tbf Silva does really badly in the league and gets to an FA cup semi, may suit us fans but may cost him his job.

All, and really it is all, that really matters for him to keep his job, is progress in the league and some real signs of improvement, the cup runs will be good for us fans, but may mean absolutely nothing at all to him, in terms of keeping his job or progress, as judged by his bosses.

Do badly in the league and completely regardless of any decent cup run, you could face the sack - Silva may well have noticed this too!

Last edited:
I went for Fat Larry as MOM.

Why wasn't DCL on the pitch? Why was Lookman on the pitch? Why did we concede a goal to Danny Ings of all people? For the answer to these and many more questions...................don't ask me, I haven't the foggiest :Blink:

Silva blew this, we really didnt need to rotate.
Playing Dowell and Stek was completely pointless.

My ratings for tonight

Stek - 4 awfull he missed a few chances to get us on the break by hesitating, could have done better with the goal

Baines - 5 wasnt terrible but didnt make much of imlact going forward, several misplaced passes and runs to No were.

Zouma - 7 won a lot of headers, seemed calm in possession and buried his penalty. Showed good pace when southampton tried to get inside

Keane - 6 solid enough, not as strong as zouma but didnt do too much wrong, got forward to put a header over the bar

Kenny - 3 tries hard and isn't awfull going forward, although he didn't create anything. Defensivly he was targeted as our weakness and he gets beaten often and lets players into the box and put crosses in.

Snides - 4 gave the ball away sloppy gifting a chance to southampton when they hit the post, could have prevented the goal and got a booking.

Davies -4 very wasteful in possession, lost the ball and kept slowing the game down when were chasing the game.
Guilty of never grtting forward so when Bernard or Walcott can stick a ball in they only have Tosun ehos heavily marked to aim towards.

Dowell -2 weak as a kitten, made no impact on the game not sure what he offers, would be suprised he plays for us again.

Lookman -6 pretty bright first half and was a threat, awesome little run and he shot inches wide, put a few balls in.
You could see southampton weee worried

Bernard -6 looked class when we got the ball to him, he has a knack for beating players.
Didn't create anything clear cut other than a shotnhe took hinself that saved. This is mainly due to the box being empty when hes in a crossing position.

Tosun -6 very isolated, won majority of headers when we went long to him, nearly fansioned out a few shots on goal in a crowded box when southampton had all 10 men behind the ball holding on.
Hes still our best striker and will score if we can get the ball to him around the 18 yard box.

Subs

Niasse -7 he ran about, pressured them won a few free kicks and injected a bit of urgency. His lack of quality in general is still obvious however he managed to slot wallcott in for the goal.

Richaerlsen -4 didn't effect the game or do anything meaningful. Pissed about with his penalty run up and skied it.

Wallcott - 6 only had 10 minutes but he scored ans had a decent run, poor penalty though.

Silva -5 he got his selection wrong, but got his subs right, he seeemed active in the tech area all night.

My man of the match was Niasse, his energy and passion to win gave the team a lift, he was so unpredictable southampton were unsettled by him.

Status
Not open for further replies.